IGNORED

Mouse On Mars - Parastrophics

plstik

this is their prime masterpiece. the album flows and is complete in a way none of their other work is... it is conceived as an 'album' and is executed in that way, flowing from one track to the next with purpose. everything is in place. themes pop up in certain ways, constant detail barrages, portals and holes pass often... explicit sounds which have never been heard are used in new ways... structures are created and destroyed. LOL

and all while fucking banging like some hot urban truck packed full of futuristic space pirates.. corporate jams

10/10

something i really like about it is that it feels of the 'now'

i feel like this music helps us enter into the future with a hope for something great

and what really blows me away is that the atmosphere exists in it, that same atmosphere that lives inside Autoditacker is here, which really makes me surprised, shocked even, and happy. it didn't seem possible that a feeling and soul of that sort could still happen in music. i can listen to this in the Spring and it feels right.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hanratty

there is SO MUCH gold in here, don't even know where to start.

that first track :wub:

Looking forward to first listen!

wow. i was not excited for this and now i am.

^^ what vamos said. When I first heard the samples from this I was slightly disappointed because it sounded too trendy. But I was completely wrong. This is 110% Mouse on Mars Magic. Its an adrenaline rush all the way through. Every detail has been fucked with to glorious perfection. In Jan and Andi we trust.

Pretty cool interview here with Mouse on Mars that gives us some background on the evolution of their sound. What amazing to me is even though they have been producing for almost twenty years now, they remain so open and down to earth in their approach to making music.

http://www.xlr8r.com/features/2012/02/rewind-mouse-mars

Nice, thanks. Love them to death

I just wanted to say that Seaqz is insane. And I'm ready to listen to Chordblocker on a big-ass soundsystem.

If you live in Calgary Alberta you can come check it on my system?

Massive speakers + 2 subs + big room + 2 power amps = loud.

Free beer and smokeables.

I just wanted to say that Seaqz is insane. And I'm ready to listen to Chordblocker on a big-ass soundsystem.

Sounds awesome. I'm in New Orleans though, so that's not exactly my neck of the woods. If I'm ever in the neighborhood I will take you up on that though!

Sounds awesome. I'm in New Orleans though, so that's not exactly my neck of the woods. If I'm ever in the neighborhood I will take you up on that though!

Yeah New Orleans is a wayyyysssss away. =)

I wouldn't call it their best so far at least, but I think its definitely their best since Idiology. I've only listened to it 3-4 times though, vs. way more for the rest of their stuff, so it will take some time before I can really pass judgement.

Idiology basically creates its own universe of sound, which is incredibly hard to top. I have never heard anything like it. Ditto for Autoditacker.

The thing I love most about Parastrophics is how dense it is. It's hard to believe that this is the same band that produced Vulvaland. But they're so good at making incredibly dense arrangements work - I don't know if anyone does it better. It's one of the reasons why their music is way more substantive and meaningful than most other producers. And yet they never let this prodigious craftsmanship get in the way of their sense of humor and ability to tap into this reservoir of playfulness/happiness that accompanies each of their albums.

Stanley Kubrick said of his favorite filmmakers that "they are not just artistic opportunists. By this I mean they don't just sit and wait for a good story to come along and then make it. They have a point of view which is expressed over and over and over again." I feel like this applies to Mouse on Mars (and most of my favorite musicians). There's a thread running through every one of their works that is absolutely evident, not dominating the music to the point of getting old, but always there providing some sort of basis or guideline. It's beautiful.

Parastrophics is another winner. My fingers are crossed for a North American tour.

I wouldn't call it their best so far at least, but I think its definitely their best since Idiology. I've only listened to it 3-4 times though, vs. way more for the rest of their stuff, so it will take some time before I can really pass judgement.

Idiology basically creates its own universe of sound, which is incredibly hard to top. I have never heard anything like it. Ditto for Autoditacker.

The thing I love most about Parastrophics is how dense it is. It's hard to believe that this is the same band that produced Vulvaland. But they're so good at making incredibly dense arrangements work - I don't know if anyone does it better. It's one of the reasons why their music is way more substantive and meaningful than most other producers. And yet they never let this prodigious craftsmanship get in the way of their sense of humor and ability to tap into this reservoir of playfulness/happiness that accompanies each of their albums.

Stanley Kubrick said of his favorite filmmakers that "they are not just artistic opportunists. By this I mean they don't just sit and wait for a good story to come along and then make it. They have a point of view which is expressed over and over and over again." I feel like this applies to Mouse on Mars (and most of my favorite musicians). There's a thread running through every one of their works that is absolutely evident, not dominating the music to the point of getting old, but always there providing some sort of basis or guideline. It's beautiful.

Parastrophics is another winner. My fingers are crossed for a North American tour.

Autoditacker was incredible and way ahead of its time.

I guess I was premature in saying it's their best work. I'm easily influenced by the fact that its so FRESH and different than anything anyone has put out recently. I'm always yearning for something new and exciting and this did it for me. I take back my premature judgement just to say: it's definitely good stuff.

Yeah idiology was awesome too. All their work I think is (except I didn't like varcharz.. at all...)

Archived