IGNORED

Mouse On Mars - Parastrophics

plstik

agreed.

so far this looks to be a promising year for music.

This MOM album

New V-snares (probably timesig003)

New squarepusher

New Clark

New Bibio (I think)

Not a bad start.

I have a feeling timesig003 is otto von schirachs new ep

i dunno i thought i read on his (mr funk's) facebook he was finishing it up or something.

I think someone had asked why there was timesig004 and not timesig003, and he just responded "it's not ready yet".

So it could be v snares or it could be otto! It is a possibility that it's otto, they were touring together and Mike P said Otto was supposed to have a release, and Ottos work DOES fit the credo of what timesig is supposed to be.

I would be happy with a release from either of em.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow! i'm still letting this one sink in, trying not to overanalyze. i'm at the pop-phase right now where a bunch of these tracks are just starting to stick in my head throughout the day. i feel nice and crazy going about my day with FROSTED A FLAKES IF A CINNAMON TOASTED CRUNCH rattling around in my brain.

but i pretty much agree with what's been said, it's a fucking banger, wild, virtuosic, always playful. i really need to listen to this one drunk asap. seaqz is a mind-blowing finale, really ties the whole thing together.

it's still kinda hard for me to stomach "they know your name", but it definitely has its place on the album. it really embraces the blatant stupidity of wobble-heavy club music, while at the same time using it to make something unique and memorable. this album reminds me of ween sometimes, the way it's in between satirizing and genuinely exploring/mastering genre trends.

imatch and seaqz are my favorites so far. imatch is incredible, i think it touches a lot on the aesthetics of iaora tahiti/autoditacker era mouse on mars while still breaking down into some of the rawest funk on the album.

(so much for not overanalyzing..)

11th listen through.

This is an incredible album. To me, this is what "pushing the boundary" means.

It's definitely MOM. It's also unlike anything I've ever heard. This is the type of album that, in 4 years, people are saying hey, this new album sounds like MOM - Parastrophics.

It's new age space funk analog disco fever pop extravaganza msuic.

Best album so far in 2012, IMO.

Sorry to rave, can't wait for the haters.

The first 2 tracks are fucking insane. So good.

it's just dawned on me what is kind of a cousin to this record - ilkae's building dragons album from 2004. i'm not as into his other records - but for fans of this definitely give the ilkae a go.

yeah, i see where you're coming from..

i totally agree with your first post too, awesome album, very colorful.

it's still kinda hard for me to stomach "they know your name", but it definitely has its place on the album. it really embraces the blatant stupidity of wobble-heavy club music, while at the same time using it to make something unique and memorable. this album reminds me of ween sometimes, the way it's in between satirizing and genuinely exploring/mastering genre trends.

i'd replace "ween" with "frank zappa", with their technical skillz and all that, but yeah

i'd replace "ween" with "frank zappa", with their technical skillz and all that, but yeah

oh shit, now that you mention it. I very much see the connection between Zappa and the new MoM's album trends.

so yeah i checked out nuin niggung today out of interest and... woah.

yeah that's an awesome one too. My favorites off it are "yippie" and "distroia"

Check out autoditacker as well. And Idiology.

yeahhhhhhhh

yippe, gogonal, booosc. yeah yeah YEAH

edit: but this new one is also totally legit.

edit 2: found Lithops Mound Magnet pt. 2 in fucking mint condition today for $4. jizzed the pants

yeahhhhhhhh

yippe, gogonal, booosc. yeah yeah YEAH

edit: but this new one is also totally legit.

edit 2: found Lithops Mound Magnet pt. 2 in fucking mint condition today for $4. jizzed the pants

Yet another thing to love about MoM is their expansive discography, so many eps and side projects to explore most all of which are worth the while. Agit Itter It It is a great companion piece to Idiology, and Cache Coeur Naif connects the dots between two of my favorite albums (autoditacker and stereolab's Dots and Loops)

Protip: check out Dots and Loops if you haven't already, the lads produced a handful of tracks on it and you can definitely hear the MoM influence pervading throughout

And yeah, Parastrophics, still stupid fresh :music:

I still find the album awesome, but I have to admit there are a few tracks that are not up to par with the rest (in my opinion...).

I don't think Metrotopy, or Wienuss are up to the level of weirdness or quality of the rest of the album, or even any other of MOMs work...

I don't know. Just my opinion.

I love "Metropy." Straight up work of art that one is, in my opinion.

I agree there are one or two tracks that don't quite match the rest.

Dots and Loops is another one of my GOAT.

Listening to Radical Connector and this album is just fantastic, particularly "Spaceship" and "Send me Shivers."

Mouse on Mars ... listening to their music can really be an undefinable experience. It can transcend standard notions in a very abstract way, past just being really fun to listen to the details. I love it, that's really all I can say with clarity.

I think it lacks of some "hit" tracks that stand out.

I think this could be said of all MoM albums, to some extent. (Well, Radical Connector had Wipe That Sound — which, by the way, is not the best track there. And really, Polaroyced and/or Chordblocker fulfill that role on Parastrophics.)

I find that "hit tracks" usually end up souring in my mind after about a week, sometimes to the point of ruining an entire album. (Much creativity is marred by the Drive to Construct The Hit Track.) Mouse on Mars albums are very dense assemblages of sound, and really have to be understood as albums.

Archived