IGNORED

"Chillwave"

joshuatxuk

Guest Glass Plate

Are these the new ones that Old English Spelling Bee or going to help produce for him?

It gets to be too much how James Ferrroroaraora can't release a batch of music that isn't at least like 6 hours or more of music in total.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree it's a good track. All the super hyped "chillwave" guys -Washed Out, Memory Tapes, Toro Y Moi, and Neon Indian - had generally decent but unmemorable albums this year. Era Extrana is WAY better than the first IMO. He's a good producer, I just hated that first album- the lofi sound on it is so forced.

Edited by joshuatxuk

Watching the fuck out of this video will lower your blood pressure for reals:

http://youtu.be/WoCpX5zzW70

DOES NOT GET MORE CHILL.

sounds like something you'd hear playing in a GAP in the mall

i thought you were talking about this track, because underneath all the 'look how lofi hipster i can make my music' aesthetics there is good composition here. but it's ruined by the overblown hilariously trying production method

i thought you were talking about this track, because underneath all the 'look how lofi hipster i can make my music' aesthetics there is good composition here. but it's ruined by the overblown hilariously trying production method

this track sounds like someone trying reallllly hard to make something you'd hear as the soundtrack to a montage in an 80s movie

i just don't understand how things became so forced, when musicians went retro 70s they weren't forcing it this hard. this just i dont know, doesn't feel organic or authentic, just marketed

Edited by Awepittance

I would assume most of the main names in the chill wave scene live would suck, since there's very little live instrumentation.

5371af84.jpg

This looks boooring.

yeah, that does look boring.

this, however, looks like a good time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmUSvsop0sg

also I'm somewhat shocked to see a comment like this on an idm forum, lol. even that picture looks way more interesting than a dude sitting behind a laptop, triggering god knows what and playing nothing on a live instrument

Edited by luke viia

chillwave vst effect before too long.

this track sounds like someone trying reallllly hard to make something you'd hear as the soundtrack to a montage in an 80s movie

This was I absolutely hated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ27Dcv4fc

sample source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-BBMOkUsXo

He sounds better now overall. But I'm going stop being an apologist, the new Neon Indian LP is still a unremarkable album imo. His work as Ghosthustler and Vega was VGM-tinged blog electro, and he stooped both and started being "Neon Indian" in 2009.

i just don't understand how things became so forced, when musicians went retro 70s they weren't forcing it this hard. this just i dont know, doesn't feel organic or authentic, just marketed

It's easier to produce and share music. People have more access to past music and art and instead of more timely, well-thought releases being more prevalent among the "hyped music" it's really just increasingly fickle fads and bandwagons. Sonically there were "chillwave"and "witch house" productions made years before any of those genres and scenes emerged. That's why 60s and 70s throwbacks in the 80s and 90s don't sound so forced. Now 80s and even 90s throwback tracks are coming out, often by producers who actually didn't live through those years or hear those sounds when they were popular. They instead browsed the internet, skimmed and barely absorbed a ton of 80s and 90s content, then made stuff like "chillwave." I'm sure a few of us have siblings or young friends who "love 80s culture" but were barely conceived and/or born that actual decade.

Also, that's why I find hauntology releases way more interesting and enjoyable than a lot of purposely "retro" songs.

Edited by joshuatxuk

I dunno, this trend can't last longer than the actual 1980's... right?

It's easy enough to avoid. Unless your friends insist on playing it. I've just never liked retro-cheeziness. Forgive me.

Edit: But I will say that Ariel Pink album Before Today is really good. Good tunes to back up the steez.

Edited by Candiru

I like fallout on that Neon Indian album. I like another track that sounds very boc. no vocals. the rest. is crap. Too 80's vocal cheeze. Without being good. I get what everyone is complaining about now

Edited by marf

Well well well I saw Glow-in-the-dark Native American himself last night in the crowd of a local garage rock gig. I wasn't nearly drunk enough to question him about his mediocrity. More importantly though, he was already being annoyed, possibly harassed, by this ridiculous art student looking fangirl. I was eavesdropping from the bar, she literally responsed to one of his statements "omg, I literally got chills from you saying that, I can so relate blah blah derp"

Also he's short. He looked like an vampire extra from Lost Boys. I'm still convinced he frantically scrapped his Vega album to "create" Neon Indian as soon as Washed Out and Memory Tapes started sharing mp3s so he could ride the Chillwave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by joshuatxuk

"omg, I literally got chills from you saying that, I can so relate blah blah derp"

i just got chills too. douche chills.

exactly and the fact that a chillwave artist was told that didn't quite hit me until later that night

I propose the creation of a genre known as Killbillwave, made up of songs featuring frequencies which would prove fatal to (and only to) individuals with the given name Bill, Billy, William, or Dolla Dolla.

Well well well I saw Glow-in-the-dark Native American himself last night in the crowd of a local garage rock gig. I wasn't nearly drunk enough to question him about his mediocrity. More importantly though, he was already being annoyed, possibly harassed, by this ridiculous art student looking fangirl. I was eavesdropping from the bar, she literally responsed to one of his statements "omg, I literally got chills from you saying that, I can so relate blah blah derp"

Also he's short. He looked like an vampire extra from Lost Boys. I'm still convinced he frantically scrapped his Vega album to "create" Neon Indian as soon as Washed Out and Memory Tapes started sharing mp3s so he could ride the Chillwave. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like his life is currently a hipster girl buffet, though. Could be worse.

Sometimes I give girls the chills, but not in the way she means it. :crazy:

that new neon indian blows. debut was tops. i don't get what's everyone's beef with it. it was recorded in 3 stoned weeks in winter 2008/2009 as an experiment. it's not his fault pitchfork shat their pants. i followed the whole scene since about mid 2009 and by the time it blew up it was already over so i guess the sound that got associated with the genre the most was the most bland and boring. but it was fun time in the summer of 2009. hatez gonna hate