IGNORED

Deepchord presents Echospace - Liumin

azatoth

Their sound has evolved, it sounds more urban and tribal. Busier soundscape. Can't wait to hear the whole thing in FULL sound, the samples sound so thin.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on these samples alone I would go as far to say that this COULD be my album of the year, if it delivers as much as I am confident it will. That's a tall order considering it isn't even out yet, I know...but that's how damn good these guys are.

Guest Enter a new display name

I'll be honest judging by my first listen: I set my expectations way too high. Most tracks were forgettable and Liumin sounded more like generic dub techno for the dancefloor (those are recordings from live performances if I'm not mistaken). The mixing/mastering is obnoxious, I know Hitchell and Modell can do a lot better (compared to the flawless sound design in The Coldest Season).

As for the second disc that includes Modell's ambient compositions with field recordings done in Japan, I am in fact quite amazed. Rod Modell's production skills are excellent when it comes to ambient music (as heard in his previous solo/collaborative albums). This is somewhat the kind of music he used to make back in the day, so I enjoy this sort of comeback to Rod's ambient direction.

I uploaded "Summer Haze", my favorite track off Liumin, on YouTube so you can hear what the album sounds like in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfD631w7y80

Please don't tell me I'm the only person who is disappointed. Any thoughts, Azatoth, Troon or Fox?

i quite liked it. not as airy as the coldest season. much more dense and i guess that's what they were going for, a more urban and pumping sound than the floaty ambienty sounds of the previous album. the album art of these two albums convey well how the music will be. there was not a moment where i was checking how long the track has gone it went by without a hitch

didn't have any expectations for the second disc and was pleasantly surprised by it. i've liked modell's ambient work and this is a definite highlight of that body of work. very atmospheric and well executed. me like.

i have to agree with azatoth - although what you kindly uploaded is all i've heard - this new sound suits them. they couldn't have topped coldest season so why bother? do something a bit different.

I'll be honest judging by my first listen: I set my expectations way too high. Most tracks were forgettable and Liumin sounded more like generic dub techno for the dancefloor (those are recordings from live performances if I'm not mistaken). The mixing/mastering is obnoxious, I know Hitchell and Modell can do a lot better (compared to the flawless sound design in The Coldest Season).

As for the second disc that includes Modell's ambient compositions with field recordings done in Japan, I am in fact quite amazed. Rod Modell's production skills are excellent when it comes to ambient music (as heard in his previous solo/collaborative albums). This is somewhat the kind of music he used to make back in the day, so I enjoy this sort of comeback to Rod's ambient direction.

I uploaded "Summer Haze", my favorite track off Liumin, on YouTube so you can hear what the album sounds like in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfD631w7y80

Please don't tell me I'm the only person who is disappointed. Any thoughts, Azatoth, Troon or Fox?

From that, I think I may be disappointed too, but I'll give the album a shot. I have tons of Rod Modell and Stephen Hitchell's stuff, but they've always been really hit and miss with me. I cherish my original DeepChord 12"s though. Still my absolute favorite I think is not by DeepChord, it's actually the 15 minute CV313 track, "Subtraktive". Just fucking beautiful.

It's a shame I'm not enjoying this one. I really wanted to, but it's too fast, and I'm not getting that sweet dubby vibe at all. They were obviously going for something else with this one, although I don't know what it is... Wait a minute! Track 4 is getting GOOD to me.... Possibly?? Maybe I should hear the whole album before I post like an idiot...

Guest Enter a new display name

I really dig "In Echospace", "Summer Haze" and "Warm" (plus maybe "Sub-Marine" at most), but the whole release still doesn't sound memorable to me. I doubt I will order it at all (except for the bonus disc if this is a very limited edition)... I bought the mp3s of the Vibrational Studies/Symbolism In Transition 12" because I really dig the melodious second track. I just wish Liumin was a little more in that emotional vein, like in "Warm".

Edit: Cv313's Infinit-1 12" was distributed, and I still don't detect any leak/digital purchase available. :(

i would have been disappointed if they had done a coldest season 2. this is a great release.

Call me weird but...I am enjoying this MORE than TCS.

...but then, I do tend to like the cv313 stuff a tad more than Echospace. Call me a heathen or whatever but that stuff just connects with me, and Liumin is much more like that!

Also, I don't see anyone mentioning this track, but for me the absolute standout is "Burnt Stage". The pads and ambience in the background faintly remind me of Aphex's remix of "Raising The Titanic", but then there's this whole warm wet dubby beat and bass over it. Truly sublime.

i am also impartial to the cv313 stuff. the dimensional space 12" is absolutely amazing and they are imo at their best as cv313 in there. and i can definitely hear the cv313 sound on liumin.

i am also impartial to the cv313 stuff. the dimensional space 12" is absolutely amazing and they are imo at their best as cv313 in there. and i can definitely hear the cv313 sound on liumin.

Have you heard the live release? Holy shit that was epic. I still play it on a nearly weekly basis.

Second listen now. I like this release, it's good - but I prefer the coldest season if I had to pick one. The best track to me is Firefly, very groovy and minimal.

Tried listening to it 4 times, and I still can't get through it. Guess that's it for me. I don't like when their sound is so cluttered. I think they're at their best when the pulse is slooooooowed down, with the echoes of chords all stretched out. And I don't hear any real Reggae influence on this one. I just can't get into it.

Archived