IGNORED

Why is it that the majority of people who listen to Electronic music don't know about IDM?

Guest PWSTEAL

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread sucks my cock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

this post is art

what do you think he is implying by adding in a space and the 1 at the end of the exclamation points? To me this signifies the struggle of every man in his attempts to find happiness.

Guest abusivegeorge

This thread sucks my cock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

this post is art

what do you think he is implying by adding in a space and the 1 at the end of the exclamation points? To me this signifies the struggle of every man in his attempts to find happiness.

lmao A+ reply, would read again.

Play a man at his own game and which him fucking crumble.

A+ sir, A+.

to me there are often times genius in simplicity, like a simple bassline on a 4/4 beat.

this comes to mind (not the best example, just one that everyone knows)

just because something is super complex and technically impressive doesn't necessarily make it "better", or more "intelligent".

for the past 15 years i've been into pretty much every genre of electronic music i can think of, and "idm" is one of those genres i grew tired of, because everything started to sound the same, of course i still love the timeless stuff (i.e afx, boc, ae), and every now and then i hear new stuff i really like (often right here on watmm/ylc), but since so much of it sounds the same (to me), i just haven't got the patience for it anymore. now days i tend to look for unique chord progression/basslines and stuff that gets my head boppin' rather than music that makes me go "omg this is fucking math!".

so for some people in here to tell me that the music i love and listen to is somehow "beneath" whateverthefuck it is you listen to is just silly innit

/semi drunk rant in crap thread i originally had no intentions of getting involved in

Guest disparaissant

you like ABBA

are you saying you DONT like ABBA? what a world we live in.

most idm aside from the major players seems pretty shit. Most of the time if I want to 'explore' I just look up some random shit like whatever's considered a classic house track or I dunno. But some music is just so insanely shitty esp. in the electronic realm, and it is kind of shit something might be considered IDM just because it has like, non 4/4 time signature. Rock musicians can do that and just be fucking rock music. So yeah I wish there was a better name for the genre. But I'd probably just mention artist names like Squarepusher anyway. That part seems kind of dickish like I'm pretty sure if somebody hears Squarepusher they think 'squarepushersmusics' 'music like squarepusher' and not IDM intelligent dance music the music pioneered by such labels as Warp Rephlex etc.

but music is really getting so shitty I prefer most music IN COMMERCIALS to commercial music

you like ABBA

are you saying you DONT like ABBA? what a world we live in.

FUCK ABBA!

I do love Yes though...

so I have my guilty pleasures as well....

also the comment about 'challenging' music is pretty dickish I'm sure plenty of songs can be challenging THEMATICALLY or whatever. I guess I'd defend idm music before if I didn't think Drukqs-type stuff was superfluous whatever most of these guys are their most interesting to me when it's about timbre FEEL etc. like I'm pretty sure aphex twin has thought about why Billie Jean is a good song and lots of equally simple songs kind of suck

I also don't sit around and be fascinated by the maths behind it. I don't know much technical stuff about music anyway so I can't but still OMG THAT TIME SIGNATURE (time signature is about the only concept I know)

in general I think the most fear is whether music can't be pidgeonholed into this complex/simple shit maybe people are just as guilty too when it's like 'simple can be beautiful' I'm sure lots of simple stuff sucks too. Maybe it's just about sucking or not sucking and that's what scares people

I still have no idea how the hell to describe what I listen to to people when they ask. Saying "I listen to IDM (or saying what the acronym means)" just sounds fucking stupid. Any thoughts or help on that? This shit needs a better, less pretentious name.

Not Braindance either, that sounds more stupid.

I still have no idea how the hell to describe what I listen to to people when they ask. Saying "I listen to IDM (or saying what the acronym means)" just sounds fucking stupid. Any thoughts or help on that? This shit needs a better, less pretentious name.

Not Braindance either, that sounds more stupid.

I usually just say experimental electronic music or weird electronic music.

I always ask if said naive person wants to know about idm, if they have heard of Aphex Twin and then judge them based on that reaction, which is usually, "Ugh, his(their) music is crazy." Then I totally disregard everything about them.

I always ask if said naive person wants to know about idm, if they have heard of Aphex Twin and then judge them based on that reaction, which is usually, "Ugh, his(their) music is crazy." Then I totally disregard everything about them.

You base opinion of a person on what music they listen to or their reaction to music they've never heard? You're too cool for school man.

I have a CD in my car of songs with proper BEATS. Stuff like Windowlicker(Acid Mix), Library Grey, rush up bank 12 etc... My mates were in the car, mates that have shite taste in music. Now when ever we're talking about music they just say "You just listen to noise, bleep bleep bloop bloop, thats what you like". I just agree, 'cause they're basically right.

are you kidding me man?

that is one of the greatest tracks written by anyone, ever!

not just bleeps and bloops....

go enjoy your ABBA!

I hope you are joking about RPEG.....

or at least think it is amazing because it is....

Archived