• No, its fine.
    • Yes the name is shit.
    • I couldn't give a shit.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calx Sherbet

We don't really need to label it...

No matter how we might explain it to distant relatives, they all think we make techno music.

i guess IDM is a confusing term to explain anyway. you tell ppl it stands for intelligent dance music, then you gotta tell them it isn't really dance music, then they just get confused.

if someone asks what you like, just say electronic music. if they say "like techno"?, just say no.

Guest Calx Sherbet

oh after seeing mischief's post in the locked "can we get rid of idm?" thread, i think it should just be called trashbear

IDM is music for people with mental and psychological disorders, I think it should be banned.

Yes, this reminds me--we should call it DSMBeat or DSMcore*

*From the Diagnostic and Stastical Manual of Mental Disorders Edition IV Text Revised--the psychiatric "Bible" from which psychiatrists and other clinicians label the shit out of people. It has 5 axes of diagnosis that go like this:

Axis I: Major Mental and Learning Disorders

Axis II: Personality Disorders and Mental Retardation

Axis III: Acute Medical Conditions and Physical Disorders

Axis IV: Psychosocial and Environmental Contributing Factors

Axis V: "Global Assessment of Functioning"--(a shrink's overall index of how they think

you get along and your chances of recovery)

I had to these all the time in CPRC assessments when I was a case manager--I'd put the typical IDM producer/listener as:

I: Autism Spectrum Disorder (High Functioning); Generalized Anxiety Disorder

II: Avoidant Personality Disorder; Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

III: Polysubstance Abuse/Withdrawal

IV: Deferred

V: 70-61 (scale of 100) Some mild symptoms (e.g., depressed mood and mild insomnia) OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning (e.g., occasional truancy, or theft within the household), but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.

Whaddya think, eh? Don't think you're exempt. To a shrink, we all register somewhere on the axes and before you know it, you have all kinds of billable ICD-10 codes, believe me, I'm in the business and I'm not just the president, I'm a client as well hahahahaHAHAHAha...ha....ahem.

It's the nature of the beast, I remember when people used to say that Squarepusher was schizophrenic, then a few years later I read an interview and even he was aware of that rumor lol.

No matter how we might explain it to distant relatives, they all think we make techno music.

i guess IDM is a confusing term to explain anyway. you tell ppl it stands for intelligent dance music, then you gotta tell them it isn't really dance music, then they just get confused.

if someone asks what you like, just say electronic music. if they say "like techno"?, just say no.

electronic music isn't something that should be talked about, so why does it matter?

DTA (dancing to architecture)

I like this.

When I try to describe it to people I usually end up using the words "thoughtful" in conjunction with "artistic" or "creative" electronic music. People either get it or just nod and smile.

Techno isn't my favorite word... that conjures up thoughts of mindless trance or club hits.

I like this.

When I try to describe it to people I usually end up using the words "thoughtful" in conjunction with "artistic" or "creative" electronic music. People either get it or just nod and smile.

Techno isn't my favorite word... that conjures up thoughts of mindless trance or club hits.

how is that any better than saying "intelligent" though? all types of music can be those things.

there are very few genre names that accurately describe the music they are supposed to. a few examples:

french house (really? any house that comes from france?)

drum n bass (this could describe anything.)

rhythm and blues (again, any music can be described like that)

the thing with all these names is that they've transcended the meaning of their parts. that's what idm has done. why change it?

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

maybe some accumulated anagram of the following;

a genre that is close to death after a relatively short life.

isolated and mind fucked failing bedroom musicians.

a fanbase who are more interested or impressed with the workings of involved hardware/software than the music itself.

scoring the record number of knob tweaks in a single track would have you drenched of cumshots from pompous, elitist pricks who drop a bucket load the moment they hear you've used analogue.

a genre thats sound is almost entirely defined by sweeping trends set by less than a handful of artists.

guys having endless arguments with their girlfriends about how the noisy pops and squeaks pounding out of their pc every day is more than just random noise. never able to successfully explain to anyone what idm is about or sounds like. convinced that you belong to a small elite that "get it" and the other 99.5% of the worlds population dont.

rarely accepting that the track sounds better because you smoked that spliff and not because the spliff just made you listen more carefully.

going to clubs and realising that most of the crowd are really there for the cock piece support act and the rest are out on an uncomfortable day release from the internet.

never paying for music

never being wrong about musical opinions

spreading online videos that capture the tragic misfortune of others without the slightest sense of guilt or pitty.

quickly forgetting that production doesnt compensate for poor musicianship

fussing over the the name IDM itself because you find it so embarrassing every time you have to explain it to someone without sounding like a turned nose snobby and pretentious cunt.

im probably guilty of all those things and i still love idm although i might have just talked myself out of it.

Guest Calx Sherbet

2. if someone asks what you like, just say electronic music. if they say "like techno"?, just say no.

electronic music isn't something that should be talked about, so why does it matter?

that's why you just go with number 2. i would never want to try to go into it. but it's not like you can never bring it up.

No Soul Music

kidding!

What the fuck are you people still on about!?

This is so jazz it hurts!

i was asked yesterday by a new co-worker "what do you listen to?" and i answered... "STRAIGHT UP HIP HOP ON THE STRENGPH, GEE!" and he said... "that didn't sound like hip hop you were bumpin!"... then i looked him eyeball to eyeball and said... "STRAIGHT UP HIP HOP ON THE STRENGPH, GEE!"

you don't actually think people are being serious when they use that term do you? :facepalm:

when i use it i'm neither serious or saying it ironically, i assumed most people use the term without even thinking about it. at least i would hope they do.

I like this.

how is that any better than saying "intelligent" though? all types of music can be those things.

there are very few genre names that accurately describe the music they are supposed to. a few examples:

french house (really? any house that comes from france?)

drum n bass (this could describe anything.)

rhythm and blues (again, any music can be described like that)

the thing with all these names is that they've transcended the meaning of their parts. that's what idm has done. why change it?

this.

you don't actually think people are being serious when they use that term do you? :facepalm:

when i use it i'm neither serious or saying it ironically, i assumed most people use the term without even thinking about it. at least i would hope they do.

and this.

the arbitrary-ness and ill-fitting-ness of music labels isn't exclusive to IDM or electronic music in the slightest.

hip hop is imo a pretty retarded name for the type of music that listeners would consider hip hop today. I mean think about it: hip hop. hip. hop. never really understood why IDM is so much more painful to say than hip hop. or classical music. "classical," really??? encompassing music from essentially the 800s to the present with one word: classical. when considered it sounds really dumb, (so does jazz, which is essentially a slang word for jism) but people know what you're talking about when you say it.

it's really just a "rose by any other name" situation. IDM is the most common so it gets used.

that being said, the problem with IDM is that few people actually know what the music behind the name sounds like unlike the other stupid names of other genres i listed.

Archived