IGNORED

The Hobbit loses Guillermo Del Toro

Rubin Farr

Guest bitroast

Why... was the hobbit movie so long*n*

It was a pretty good film held back by stupid editing and one too many hours. Like, I'd say there was a good film in there, but I would just never recommend this to anyone. Not with ample warning that the pacing will (probably) hinder your enjoyment.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second movie will be even worse in terms of non-book padding. I just can't see the second movie working for 2+ hours and leave enough room for a third movie. I really wonder how he could have thought in the editing room that there was 3 movie to be made out of his footage. So hold on tight, it'll get worse!

this may sound contrarian but if you take into account all the stuff from the book that hasn't been used yet like the battle of 5 armies, the confrontation with smaug, laketown, mirkwood, thorins dragon sickness etc + the appendices material that hasn't been used yet ( wizard fight at dol guldur, thrain) i think you have plenty for 2 more movies. I'm guessing that the next 2 movies will actually be better than part 1 once some of the important plot developments happen and major characters die.

I don't mind if they don't follow the book and make thing up. The feel is different anyway. I do mind that all the things that are different are also stupider and/or boring.

I don't mind if they don't follow the book and make thing up. The feel is different anyway. I do mind that all the things that are different are also stupider and/or boring.

are there any scenes that they outright made up completely besides Radagast at this shack? or do you just mean that all of the things they embellished made them stupider

Mountains fighting (in the book they're having a go at bilbo actually), Radagast's rabbits speeding, the un-gravity burning tree and Thorin dueling with Azog thing. All the action bits in the goblin caverns, probably a few more.

yeah i forgot about Azog, i'm guessing that he's not going to be a huge factor in the other 2 films. That's probably the biggest change from the books no? All the other stuff is just absurdly embellishing based on stuff in the book. It's a shame that the final confrontation was with Azog, in the book i hear the golins chase them out to the trees and sing while they try to set them on fire Wicker Man style, is that what happens or am i incorrect. Sounded like a much more interesting way to end part 1 to me

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, reading ranting n this film in the films thread I made up a thought.

It's not the lenghth of three movies that bothers me. If they were entertaining they could make even more, and stretch everything from Middle earth. The problem I see is, that they're not made to be good movies, but to attract masses into the cinemas. I could imagine a season of hour long episodes, something like game of the thrones of Hobbit. They could just take their time, put a lot of beautiful shots of the company walking and just make you wanna be there. I'd watch that and not complain about length.

Having three movies that bomb you with boring action scenes seems worse than one movie that does the same. Did I hit the mark here?

Ok, reading ranting n this film in the films thread I made up a thought.

It's not the lenghth of three movies that bothers me. If they were entertaining they could make even more, and stretch everything from Middle earth. The problem I see is, that they're not made to be good movies, but to attract masses into the cinemas. I could imagine a season of hour long episodes, something like game of the thrones of Hobbit. They could just take their time, put a lot of beautiful shots of the company walking and just make you wanna be there. I'd watch that and not complain about length.

Having three movies that bomb you with boring action scenes seems worse than one movie that does the same. Did I hit the mark here?

I think Michael Bay should have done the Hobbit trilogy.

• 1 month later...

I would like to share my review for this film:

When a ragtag gang of gold-digging dwarves infiltrates the home of hobbit Bilbo Baggins, an impromptu dinner party erupts along with its subsequent unexpected journey towards an inconclusive end. Baggins, in an attempt to prove his worth as a burglar, steals the sole possession of the malnourished, mentally-ill, and presumably ugly-enough-to-deserve-it Gollum while dwarf king Thorin is issued a comprehensive beatdown from a one-armed orc after abandoning his hopelessly cliffhung dwarf-scum crew. We find ourselves equally cliffhung on the film's conclusion as big birds whisk the protagonists away to a safe and sunny place overlooking rolling credits and a massive To Be Continued sign. Ultimately, it is far too difficult to be interested in the outcome of any quest laid out in this film, but there is one redeeming and well-paced scene involving a riddle wherein the Goblin King sheds new light on Dr. Dre's age-old question, "If I had nuts under my chin, would those be chin nuts?"

Guest Pennywise

Thought P Jackson had 3D in mind a lot when he made this film. So much boring filler too. Wasn't great. 2 tubs of popcorn and 1 soda.

Archived