IGNORED

Day jobs

ZoeB

Out of curiosity, what day job do you all have? I'm starting to think there might be a link between programmers and IDM artists. I guess it makes sense as the genre is inherently very technology heavy. Are you a programmer, and if so, do you think your music is better or worse for it? I still find myself drawing on notes too much and not actually playing them on a musical keyboard enough, although that's arguably more due to years of tracking rather than my day job (I'm a web developer, so also a programmer). How about the rest of you?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masonic Boom

Ha ha, it's funny, coz actually I know a lot more computer programmer types who are folk musicians than electronic music makers. (My dad is one of them - loads of those Cali comp geeks go off at the weekend and play banjos or whatever because at the end of the week, as he says, the last thing they want to do is look at another computer.)

That said, I'm an MI/Database Analyst so yeah, programmer. I chuck around huge chunks of data and try to make sense of it - it's basically pattern recognition. And that totally uses the same part of my brain as the music-arranging (though not so much music composing) mode.

The only thing I find is that I prefer to *listen* to electronic music when I program, because stuff with consistent repetitive beats focuses the mind and the fingers for typing in code. (That said, my boss has banned me from listening to Venetian Snares in the office, because he says it makes me type too violently.)

Guest ryanmcallister

i run a warehouse. drive a forklift, co-ordinate truck driver's day trips, move large storage containers and stuff. i find it gives me a good balance from my technical/computer nerd side of things while also letting me get some hard work done with my hands as well.

Guest Masonic Boom

Expert Pint Puller

:facepalm:

Man, that is an excellent job.

Because, you know, the world would keep turning if my job disappeared. If your job disappeared, thirsty people all over Britain would riot in the streets. Backbone of society, you are.

Guest placidburp

Expert Pint Puller

Because, you know, the world would keep turning if my job disappeared. If your job disappeared, thirsty people all over Britain would riot in the streets. Backbone of society, you are.

IS it wrong that I want to poison them all though and burn the pub to the ground?

Guest Masonic Boom

Expert Pint Puller

IS it wrong that I want to poison them all though and burn the pub to the ground?

Nah, that's perfectly normal. I feel the same way about our marketing department.

Expert Pint Puller

Please don't. Unless you can get away with it. You cant make tunes in prison. :unsure:

I'm still a lazy student. :emotawesomepm9: I really need a job for the summer though :shrug:

3D graphics student. Seems like most people go into that course with the intent of making video games, the rest go in because they want to work for Pixar. I was thinking of doing general design work, so maybe I'm in the wrong course.

digital printing. some of the printers/other machines i get to use are pretty idm.

DSCN1663.JPG

i've mostly stayed in the printing industry so i can print my own album covers :whistling:

my art is my day job, but i also do janitorial work at a community center during the nights. Im also a licensed hot dog vendor and sell hot dogs at the local home depot parking lot on the weekends.

Archived