IGNORED

Day jobs

ZoeB

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the FUCK is that shit with the table - I don't see any tabular data output...

i was just posting it because it had a nice shape. like a wisp of smoke. funny that people dove right into the nitty-gritty.

to explain more, they're having me add pages into an existing system with dozens of existing pages. for better or worse, i have to follow the shit lead they've set... as far as i can go is to shape the mound of crap they've handed me into a pleasant shape. that page is for a DHTML modal dialog. javascript from another page builds the window then fires off an xmlhttprequest to pull in that as the content. then javascript populates it, mostly. i pull in a bunch of stuff through php to make my life easier, because they're using some godawful webservice/soap/htc on the browser end.

did i mention this whole system is IE-required? no firebug for hahathhat.

they do have beer at the office. i am ending this part of the post before i have more of it

By the way, how do you pronounce your handle? Ha-hath-hat?

it's just a keymash from some night when i was feeling particularly quantum. there are many ways to render it. i wrote a post on it with a lot of thought and detail, but it seems to be gone from watmm's time machine. from memory, here are a few renderings:

- ha-hath-hat (sure why not)

- stuttering hihat noise

- HAHA at that

- "asshat" with a gay lisp

:whistling:

I page doctors. It sucks. It's basically a call center job. I get to work from home most days though. In fact, I'm at work right now.

I'm also part of an indie video game studio. music/design/coding

I also play in 2 bands, but we don't make a lot of money. :(

I'm in the process of finding a new job. I'm considering developing some poker skills to work my way into PokerStars like one of the guys at the studio does. He makes a killing.

I'm also a sophomore/junior CS student. Done development work before and really want to get back into it, but it's a bitch to get your foot in the door without much on your resume. (That being said, anyone who's got connections or advice for snagging a cool programming job, I'm all ears.)

• 2 weeks later...

I work at a brewery/pub.

/jealous

Do you get all the new microbrew shit for your region in first?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SampleScience

Right now I'm a full time social science student, I have a minimum of 6 years of studies in front of me. I'm thinking of working at a records shop part time just to pass the time, because I'm so cheap I live quite well on just the student loan the government gives me. Before going back to school I worked at a clothe warehouse, it was terrible & I hated it! I'm more a brainer & my high marks at school confirms that. yeah! :D

• 4 years later...

i just got hired at a call center, been working there for two weeks. it's definitely interesting, on one hand you get an absolutely clear understanding of how the liberalisation of power companies has been a bloody disaster, and on the other, you get to see how people interact with the new, non-state, bureaucracy. poor sods think they're directly talking to big brother (they even shout political demands at you!) when they're just talking to some underpaid prole, often hundreds of kilometres away from them and completely unrelated to the power company itself. the best part is i can pay rent so i don't get kicked out of town, so it's great.

as for technology, i started learning c++ yesterday, but i'm more of a philosophy guy (obviously).

I've been a full time programmer for the past 7 years. Embedded systems, databases, desktop applications, backend and frontend web development. I've got a master's degree in applied mathematics and information technology.

By the way, when did you get your first job? As in, at what age?

fairly late because when i was at architecture school i had no time for anything whatsoever, then between the fact i suck at managing deadlines and crazily rising tuition fees i had to drop out. so i started looking for a job 2 years ago when i dropped out. so far i've been a security guard for fc barcelona, a shop assistant at primark and now a phone operator at the power company. all very interesting.

By the way, when did you get your first job? As in, at what age?

Umm, I was pushing the shopping carts to get some cash at the local supermarket at about age 12. I've worked also as a painter and a book repairer at a library. :biggrin:

I work as a Live Audio Engineer, but I'm trying to get out of the game. I've been doing it professionally for the last six or seven years and I'm just really tired of it. I also do sound design/music for games/apps every now and again.

I started learning the nuts and bolts of programming nearly two years ago, so I've been getting more into game development. I'm also interested in getting into audio DSP development (plug-ins and whatnot). I'm interested in building my own synths and drum machines.

My first job was at 15. I was a file clerk in my dad's clinic.

The best job I ever had was teaching audio basics and Logic pro at a college. Few of the students gave a fuck, but it paid well and I had a lot of free time to work on other things.

For now I'm almost a NEET. Got a degree in journalism a year ago now, with some professional experiences (I've worked maybe a year in total in my life), but that's a job so full of misery and depression that it's not an option for me anymore. I didn't know what to do after that so I didn't apply for any school.

Odds of 2013-2014 being great were quite shitty but I eventually did an internship at Centre Pompidou as an editorial secretary for its magazine/agenda. Was real fucking noice but they couldn't offer anything more to me "because no monies man", which is the reason why in this country you see almost as many interns as actual employees. It's ridiculous....

So after learning music production the rest of this year I wanted to enter a communication school but failed the oral exam somehow (I will never understand why). Didn't apply for any plan B because I was so confident about it. I'm kind of fucked now but I guess that's fate's way of telling me "disregard these whorish schools man, go get yourself a real job, any job."

Nice Braintree. What kind of venues do you work in? Good live sound operators are really impressive to me.

I do location recording for film & TV. It's a sweet job in a lot of ways, although it can be very demanding in others. The pay varies a lot depending on what part of the industry you're in. I'm in a pretty good spot after about 8 years in the industry but I won't last forever physically and I want to be around more for my kid (coming soon!) so I'm considering other options.

I work as a Live Audio Engineer, but I'm trying to get out of the game. I've been doing it professionally for the last six or seven years and I'm just really tired of it. I also do sound design/music for games/apps every now and again.

I started learning the nuts and bolts of programming nearly two years ago, so I've been getting more into game development. I'm also interested in getting into audio DSP development (plug-ins and whatnot). I'm interested in building my own synths and drum machines.

The best job I ever had was teaching audio basics and Logic pro at a college. Few of the students gave a fuck, but it paid well and I had a lot of free time to work on other things.

How'd you get into the live audio business? this is something I'm looking to get into.

Currently working very little hours at an event company. Usually install lights for weddings. Cool locations but i barely make any money because no hours.

Got the job because I know how to work a mixer but they almost never have sound jobs :cat:

Nice Braintree. What kind of venues do you work in? Good live sound operators are really impressive to me.

I do location recording for film & TV. It's a sweet job in a lot of ways, although it can be very demanding in others. The pay varies a lot depending on what part of the industry you're in. I'm in a pretty good spot after about 8 years in the industry but I won't last forever physically and I want to be around more for my kid (coming soon!) so I'm considering other options.

It really varies, but a lot of the time it's just hotel conference & ball rooms. I used to do more work in bars, but I have very little tolerence for bullshit now. I got to work at a winery a few months back, though. That was a nice change.

How'd you get into the live audio business? this is something I'm looking to get into.

Currently working very little hours at an event company. Usually install lights for weddings. Cool locations but i barely make any money because no hours.

Got the job because I know how to work a mixer but they almost never have sound jobs :cat:

I went to the Berklee College of Music (studying synthesis with Kcinsu and Wall Bird, actually) and I worked on the school's stage crew. We had to do sound in some small venues several times a week, so I learned a lot about the principles of live sound reinforcement. Mostly jazz and rock bands. The best part was being able to mix on a Yamaha LS9 and have access to a PM1D/5D. When I moved to San Francisco, I was trying to get into sound design for games, but only got work as an audio engineer in bars and stuff.

I'm mainly tired of it because it's not my passion and I hate talking to clients. Every time I work, I have to explain to them that sound in a live space is very different from what they see on tv or in a movie. I constantly utter the phrase "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" whenever someone complains about not being able to hear someone on a microphone because they refuse to hold it to their fucking face. This line of work also works the shit out of your body, and I know mine won't last forever, so I want to move into something else.

I've probably mixed well over 1,000 bands in the past 9 years.

I'm mainly tired of it because it's not my passion and I hate talking to clients. Every time I work, I have to explain to them that sound in a live space is very different from what they see on tv or in a movie. I constantly utter the phrase "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" whenever someone complains about not being able to hear someone on a microphone because they refuse to hold it to their fucking face. This line of work also works the shit out of your body,

Ha, so many people do this. Everyone should be briefed on how to use a microphone although it's pretty intuitive....

Yeah, they're bewildered when they aren't sure people can hear them when the microphone might as well be in the next fucking county. Is your neck tie talking? No? Then hold it to your goddamn mouth!

I'm posting from work right now, by the way. Did an event for the Confucius Institute. They wanted a microphone on a lady doing calligraphy in case she said something, while two Gu Zheng players were wailing in the background.

:facepalm:

I'm working my first job now xD (16 so yeah sensible age for that I guess) - I make sandwiches and do dishes at a market/cafe on Cayuga lake in upstate NY.

...Well actually, it's seasonal - so I just finished my first summer at the place, actually. it pays above minimum wage (not by that much but still) which is really great for employment at my age.

Currently a junior in high school, studying art history and geography - want to be a museum worker of some sort later in life. All while steadily attempting to get better at music production/performance.

Archived