IGNORED

it might be time to move

Guest ms-dos

Guest ms-dos

my friend was murdered last night because he worked at my local marijuana dispensary. a group of men stormed in, shot whoever was inside, and fled with a pretty negligible amount of weed and money. the security guard was badly wounded. i was heading there after work when i saw that a huge chunk of sunset ave -- one of los angeles' major arteries -- had been roped off. it was very, very eerie to see a bustling part of the city on complete lockdown. the LAPD busted down doors for 7 hours without finding the suspects. this is doing my fucking head in right now, and i feel sick over matt's death.

then someone burned down the echo park film center a couple hours later.

and just a few days ago, someone rode past the echo nightclub on a motorcycle and indiscriminately fired eight rounds into the crowd. the echoplex is one of the few venues i'll even bother with these days. it's where you go to see autechre or flying lotus. it's not a venue that attracts a rough crowd.

the LA times tells me that since 2007, there have been 57 murders within a two block radius of my apartment. echo park is one of the fastest gentrifying areas in the country, and until more information comes out, my working theory is that these things are happening because some of the locals (i.e., the mexican gangs) want their hood back. i'm threatened and harassed when i go out for a drink. i have to defend myself while i eat in a mexican restaurant. i continually remind these stupid pieces of shit that i make less money than most of them. hell, i've spent the last couple years sliding in and out of serious poverty. but they don't care about that. this is as much a race war as a money war, and i don't think i care enough about this place to stay and fight.

so what do you guys deal with in your parts of town? anyone moving for similar reasons?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you should seriously find a better (and cheaper) place to live... sorry to hear about your friend - I actually read about the incident a little bit ago on FARK

Guest ms-dos

we're stuck here until october. but we're already looking for affordable places in silverlake. we might even move back west, which isn't ideal.

i have some friends who live in rough areas of oakland and even though robberies and car break ins are regularly occurring problems none of htem have experienced any kind of violence or witnessed anything like that. from your description it sounds pretty rough that dance clubs are targets for that kind of thing. In oakland and even San Francisco there is plenty of violent crime but mostly it stays in a closed circle like gang on gang stuff. Whats your take on how LA compares to the bay area in terms of crime

I'm so sorry.

I think, sadly, your thoughts about Echo Park might be accurate. I wish I could offer a counterargument, but the racial tension in this city has grown so much worse this year than in the past 5 previous years I've been here. And the "Lakers fans" didn't help by waving Mexican flags while they tried to burn that guy alive in his taxi cab last week.

Guest ms-dos

i have some friends who live in rough areas of oakland and even though robberies and car break ins are regularly occurring problems none of htem have experienced any kind of violence or witnessed anything like that. from your description it sounds pretty rough that dance clubs are targets for that kind of thing. In oakland and even San Francisco there is plenty of violent crime but mostly it stays in a closed circle like gang on gang stuff. Whats your take on how LA compares to the bay area in terms of crime

i think crime in los angeles is worse. oakland has some truly awful parts, and it's also well-known for random homicides, but i've never experienced anything like watts or south central up north. i guess if you blew oakland up to the size of los angeles, it would have comparable crime rates. in both places you have lots of wealth trying to wall itself off from abject poverty.

Guest ms-dos

I'm so sorry.

I think, sadly, your thoughts about Echo Park might be accurate. I wish I could offer a counterargument, but the racial tension in this city has grown so much worse this year than in the past 5 previous years I've been here. And the "Lakers fans" didn't help by waving Mexican flags while they tried to burn that guy alive in his taxi cab last week.

i'm looking for counterarguments too. there's little that's more despicable than a race war, especially when "your people" aren't the ones being violent.

how's your part of town? what district are you in?

Guest ms-dos

Move to my country. You will have a peaceful life. You won't be able to see FlyLo or ae tho :shrug:

and thanks brudda. portugal has the nicest, most laid back people. sadly i can't afford a flight over there right now!

I'm down the street just a bit from you, near Union Station. So "downtown" but kind of between Chinatown and Ye Olde Pueblo/Olvera. It's usually pretty quiet, but it's also literally patrolled by DHS on account of the Union Station proximity.

I'm probably moving soon. It's too expensive, and I work in Pasadena right now, which is white-bread and boring but safer and (apparently) cheaper. Still, there are many parts of LA that I love so much, including a lot of the East Side that scares most rich, coddled West Siders away.

The major crimes rate is actually pretty low per capita (or at least it has been in recent years). There's just so many. . . capitas. But the gang shit definitely appears to be escalating and playing off the racial tensions caused by the current immigration goings-on. Really shitty way to make your case, guys.

Guest ruiagnelo

Move to my country. You will have a peaceful life. You won't be able to see FlyLo or ae tho :shrug:

and thanks brudda. portugal has the nicest, most laid back people. sadly i can't afford a flight over there right now!

And moving in such a way is always very hard, for everyone. But one thing i dare to guarantee is that in my country you can safely walk in the streets and enjoy the nightlife without thinking you can get shot or constantly troubled. Of course there is a crime rate, but it is fairly low when compared to the majority of the other countries.

But like i said, you wouldn't be able to enjoy a gig of your favorite electronic music act like ae or aphex twin, because it's a country that simply stands aside their tours, always. Portugal it's still far from being a country that accepts a wide range of cultural events and it's full of close minded people. The lack of money destined to culture is a factor that contributes to the whole situation too.

That is one thing about my country that i severely criticize.

Well it's the same on any big city I guess, where I live it isn't much better, specially with the waves of mass immigration over the last decade, that enabled a lot of criminals to escape their home countries because they don't do any filtering here.

how's the decriminalization of drugs doing in Portugal? has the society imploded yet?

What idea do you have of the decriminalization? It's still illegal, I see in a lot of articles on drugs mention Portugal but it's not exactly the way they picture it, the bottom line is junkies no longer are put in jail, that's it.

this

On July 1, 2001, a nationwide law in Portugal took effect that decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin. Under the new legal framework, all drugs were "decriminalized," not "legalized." Thus, drug possession for personal use and drug usage itself are still legally prohibited, but violations of those prohibitions are deemed to be exclusively administrative violations and are removed completely from the criminal realm. Drug trafficking continues to be prosecuted as a criminal offense.

While other states in the European Union have developed various forms of de facto decriminalization — whereby substances perceived to be less serious (such as cannabis) rarely lead to criminal prosecution — Portugal remains the only EU member state with a law explicitly declaring drugs to be "decriminalized." Because more than seven years have now elapsed since enactment of Portugal's decriminalization system, there are ample data enabling its effects to be assessed.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=10080

how it actually plays out is probably a different story but it seems shockingly progressive even compared to places like Amsterdam

And moving in such a way is always very hard, for everyone. But one thing i dare to guarantee is that in my country you can safely walk in the streets and enjoy the nightlife without thinking you can get shot or constantly troubled. Of course there is a crime rate, but it is fairly low when compared to the majority of the other countries.

But like i said, you wouldn't be able to enjoy a gig of your favorite electronic music act like ae or aphex twin, because it's a country that simply stands aside their tours, always. Portugal it's still far from being a country that accepts a wide range of cultural events and it's full of close minded people. The lack of money destined to culture is a factor that contributes to the whole situation too.

erm... madeira dig festival?

fucking A1 top notch cultural event, fully endorsed and subsidised by cultural.arts grants from the eu.

maybe i'm wrong. i love portugal.

this

On July 1, 2001, a nationwide law in Portugal took effect that decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin. Under the new legal framework, all drugs were "decriminalized," not "legalized." Thus, drug possession for personal use and drug usage itself are still legally prohibited, but violations of those prohibitions are deemed to be exclusively administrative violations and are removed completely from the criminal realm. Drug trafficking continues to be prosecuted as a criminal offense.

While other states in the European Union have developed various forms of de facto decriminalization — whereby substances perceived to be less serious (such as cannabis) rarely lead to criminal prosecution — Portugal remains the only EU member state with a law explicitly declaring drugs to be "decriminalized." Because more than seven years have now elapsed since enactment of Portugal's decriminalization system, there are ample data enabling its effects to be assessed.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=10080

how it actually plays out is probably a different story but it seems shockingly progressive even compared to places like Amsterdam

Yes that's actually accurate, the hard drugs use dropped a lot over the last decades too.

Guest ruiagnelo

erm... madeira dig festival?

fucking A1 top notch cultural event, fully endorsed and subsidised by cultural.arts grants from the eu.

maybe i'm wrong. i love portugal.

Indeed, it's a great event, but as you know Madeira is an island, so for me and a lot more people living in the continent would be very hard to see that festival.

Also, take a look at the partners page:

http://www.madeiradig.net/PARTNERS.html

It must not mean that much to you, but there is no governmental support listed and it doesn't exist, as far as i know.

This is what i mean when i say that Portugal it's still far from being a country that accepts a wide range of cultural events and it's full of close minded people. The lack of money destined to culture is a factor that contributes to the whole situation too

If our representatives, those who manage our money don't take the initiative, we won't get anywhere.

the people that got shot outside echoplex: what nationality were they? from what i understand, the guy that did the shooting was on a motorcycle and witnesses said he had a "hell's angels" jacket on.

i heard about the pot shops last night. there were 2 of them that got shot up yesterday, probably related. i don't live "in" LA, but i'm just north of there. the only place i only ever liked in LA was pasadena. i can't stand anywhere else.

i remember back in like 04, there were some cholos (mexican gangbanger) that were randomly shooting at blacks in highland park because they wanted to exterminate them from their varrio. one of them was a friend of mine that was sitting at a bus stop and they just drove up, shot and killed him. they even shot women and children. yeah... mexican gangbangers are the scum of the earth really.

Archived