IGNORED

DJing

Guest iamabe

Guest iamabe

Has anybody else here wanted to become a live dj just as a way to get a whole room of people listening to aphex twin with you for 5 minutes?

I mean think about it. Anybody computer dork can get into DJing at clubs or parties and play pop shit like Simian Mobile Disco and Hot Chip 75% of the time and slip in the Windowlicker in a set and bask in getting a shitload of people to think what you listen to is cool.

(By the way england watmmers, this is america, i can't go to any club here and listen to acid or dubstep or idm at a club whenever i want. boston is dead in terms of that)

this is intended for General Banter because i want to get many opinions and also get flamed

alright. i'm ready for flaming.

but seriously, you can be a trashy hipster ass dj and get laid alot, while playing aphex twin to people.

man I am a fucking genius.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Yes.

To be honest though I'd rather play my own music mixed with other random assorted stuff like most people do, but I always thought it'd be really cool to have like a pure AFX set just once on Richard's birthday or something. I think about that every time I listen to an Analord. I love introducing people to his music & to see people dance to it would be wicked. Especially Analord 5. Those two tracks I couldn't resist putting in a set tbh.

Guest ruiagnelo

i am no dj, and don't want to be, but i get your point.

(By the way england watmmers, this is america, i can't go to any club here and listen to acid or dubstep or idm at a club whenever i want. boston is dead in terms of that)

also this is pretty much the same scenario where i live at and even in the whole country. fuck this

i have been in london once and that is the perfect electronic music scene. i wanna go back there.

also this is pretty much the same scenario where i live at and even in the whole country. fuck this

... as is in NYC, believe it or not.

I remember I tried really hard to be a DJ (with actual records) when I first moved here. The only electronic music people care about here is shitty club trance or lady gaga. Real electronic is dead here.

Way back when the Analords were new, I tried spinning a mix all of the 12"s at a bar once. No one gave a shit except for the guy who got me the gig. He was like "I like this. Who is this?". I was like "Aphex Twin" and he was like "Oh. Cool."

:facepalm:

Yup same boat here in Houston. Except I actually have some friends here (3) that enjoy Aphex Twin and maybe like 1 who actually enjoys it like me. All my other friends dismiss Aphex Twin as "Robot Sex" and are like "WTF is this shit." not really wanting to know what it is. I play him anyways, they can all go to hell :). But man o man I really want to go to London and go clubing here, clubs here in Houston are shit (in terms of music) they play some house thats it.

at the store I volunteer at, sometimes I hook my mp3 player up to the speakers. quite funny watching kids waiting for their mom to get changed getting their boogy on to shiz ko e

Being a professional DJ I can say personally, if i had 5 minutes (or an hour and a half) to show the world some music it wouldn't be Aphex, sure he has a few masterpieces, but there is enough people doing that every Dj set they play. I'd play either my own stuff or stuff no-ones heard of before that is good. or if i played afx it wouldnt be because i wanted to get laid because it would fit into the mix.

PS Also this has been Done by the 030303 Guys, they did a AFX Night a few months ago, which was a massive hit from what feedback i got off the guys.

Guest ruiagnelo

... as is in NYC, believe it or not.

I remember I tried really hard to be a DJ (with actual records) when I first moved here. The only electronic music people care about here is shitty club trance or lady gaga. Real electronic is dead here.

Way back when the Analords were new, I tried spinning a mix all of the 12"s at a bar once. No one gave a shit except for the guy who got me the gig. He was like "I like this. Who is this?". I was like "Aphex Twin" and he was like "Oh. Cool."

:facepalm:

all the night clubs in my city are disgusting for my ears. the only reason i go there is to hang out with my friends. everywhere you go there are these 'laptop press play' djs who drop the same thing you hear on tv, on radio or youtube, it's just pop shit. some of them even dj with mp3s.

my uncle is a dj at a few pubs around my city and he plays decent stuff. he knows a lot about music and sometimes he does themed sets like dubstep nights, sometimes the music is more brain-oriented or even sets which just feature netlabels music.

and i know people enjoy it, but they don't have enough of it, so where will they go next? they end up hanging around the usual clubs and get their ears flooded with shit once more.

some of his friends also have a different attitude and drop decent records. but this is such a small thing in a bigger scene that people just don't care.

but i thought NYC had a wide range to offer. i am really surprised.

i guess only england remais a decent place to play and listen to decent electronica.

Guest ruiagnelo

you guessed wrong, belgium, holland, berlin and malta all have things going on underground

well, indeed. but england is the serious thing.

you guessed wrong, belgium, holland, berlin and malta all have things going on underground

add Japan to that list and you have the biggest markets for electronic music :D with the UK following behind

Guest Jimbob

add Japan to that list and you have the biggest markets for electronic music :D with the UK following behind

Oirland has some good jungle aswell

Guest Coalbucket PI

people become djs because they like playing the music they like to other people

this is correct

Guest iamabe

people become djs because they like playing the music they like to other people

this is correct

that's a very tussin' signature you got there.

malta !!

lol wtf, i'll have to tell the maltese cleaner from work that, ask him when he gets back from his holiday there, whether he went out to any proper raves.

Archived