IGNORED

Is this hipster?

Guest Backson

I go through phases of doing entire albums (apart from the odd track) to shuffle.

Getting a CD walkman is not hipster but just plain odd....(imo)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why is it so important to listen to an album all the way through? if you don't feel like it, why should you force yourself to do it. makes no sense to me.

my ipod is 160gb and I have my entire mp3 collection on it. I just put on whatever I feel like. :braindance:

why is it so important to listen to an album all the way through? if you don't feel like it, why should you force yourself to do it. makes no sense to me.

my ipod is 160gb and I have my entire mp3 collection on it. I just put on whatever I feel like. :braindance:

I think there is something about listening to an album all the way through. The mp3 has changed that habit and it's a habit I like, so I tend to force myself to try to play full albums.

Sometimes I can't be arsed though and the magic of the mp3 player throws up all kinds of mad tracks at times you may not listen to them.

It's all good.

I carry my sony walkman "car ready" CD player in my backpack when i'm heading to class (mostly for noisy bus rides when i gotta do some reading). my zune broke a while ago, fuck it anyway, and i'm too broke to buy a new mp3 player right now.

if people must judge, i hope they can see that i am at least utilitarian odd/hip, OK.

to backson, do whatever you want... but getting rid of your ipod seems a little extreme if all you want to do is listen to full albums. it can handle that request.

she's a lady!

pics or it didn't happen!

I go through phases of doing entire albums (apart from the odd track) to shuffle.

I would never put an album on shuffle. I do on occasion put the whole selection on shuffle. But I guess I'm an old fart stuck in the album paradigm.

i would prefer to listen to an ipod on shuffle than to put a full album on only to realize that half way through i dont have time to listen to it all. then what do you do, start again the next time you have a chance?

shuffle is good for when you are going somewhere or you know you wont have time for a full album, or if you just dont want to decide what to listen to.

i can't stand the newer ipods where you shake them and it shuffles... like i'll drive and hit a bump and it shuffles! That's stupid!

i'll listen to albums on long trips. short trips i shuffle... lunch break, shuffle. sitting at home working on designs, albums.

Guest iamabe

i can't stand the newer ipods where you shake them and it shuffles... like i'll drive and hit a bump and it shuffles! That's stupid!

i'll listen to albums on long trips. short trips i shuffle... lunch break, shuffle. sitting at home working on designs, albums.

you can turn the shake to shuffle option off :P I just got an iPod a few days ago and got real annoyed about this while at the gym today.

Maximus is right, shuffle is great for digging into an album when you dont have time and want to get into the later tracks. Also, I get utterly bored halfway through some albums, but if i shuffle the tracks it recontextualizes them and I can appreciate individual tracks more easily. I don't much care for the sequencing of most records anyway.

I guess I just never put on an album that I wouldn't want to listen to all the way through. I never feel forced, always feel privileged to do so. There seems to be a consistent correlation between artists who write one song/track I really like also being artists who make entire albums I can enjoy start to finish. The only kind of album I'll almost never be able to sit through for more than a couple songs is a compilation album, so I never buy those.

i would prefer to listen to an ipod on shuffle than to put a full album on only to realize that half way through i dont have time to listen to it all. then what do you do, start again the next time you have a chance?

shuffle is good for when you are going somewhere or you know you wont have time for a full album, or if you just dont want to decide what to listen to.

No, you continue where you left off. durrrrr

go vinyl, carry decks around everywhere you go. and a receiver. speakers. a generator. see if you can drag it all in a little red wagon.

Archived