IGNORED

Rent

kakapo

Partly inspired by the how much do your earn thread (which means less without context) and partly after being asked by a foreign friend why rent in London was so atrociously expensive.

Large double room in 3 bed shared house within zone 2 of South London (nice street right on the border between dodgy and nice areas, 15 mins from tube).

Market rate is £525 pcm (I pay a little bit less due to knowing the landlord)

That equates to

$814 pcm

€640 pcm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flat with two large double bedrooms and an enourmous kitchen/living room in the west end of glasgae for 620, so with bills for me it pops out at about 360 a month.

the living room is worth it alone, got four sofas, dining table, all the decks set up, bookshelfs, coffee table, and piles of floor space, can accomodate a fucking ledge of a party in this place.

Guest happycase

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I live in a 2 story apartment, 14' x 15' for nothing at all, as i live at my job and the housing is a benefit.

london must be a pain in the tits. my mate lives in a brand spanking new top floor flat in hackney with two balconies, 2 small rooms, average livingroom/kitchen and it sets him back like 1600 a month

london must be a pain in the tits. my mate lives in a brand spanking new top floor flat in hackney with two balconies, 2 small rooms, average livingroom/kitchen and it sets him back like 1600 a month

yeah man, london rents are fucking ridiculous. does my fucking head in. i used to pay £975 per month for a 1 bed flat when i lived in balham, but am in wimbledon now which is a bit cheaper.

the only person i know who lives there reasonably is my friend who rents a big massive bedroom in manor house for 420 a month with bills, but thats in like a huge converted warehouse thing full of musicians, he shares with about 25 other people. i can imagine that being as insanely fun as it would be insanely annoying.

yeah, there are some bargains to be had if you're lucky... when i first lived in balham ages ago, i shared this massive 3 floor townhouse on the high street, which was like £960 between 3 people. should never have moved out of there actually...

im weighing up london compared to berlin to live after ive finished my piano degree here.

btw isnt wimbledeon quite a posh bit of london, surely would be a pricier if anything. or does its proximity to the centre change that?

interestingly enough the only shop in the entire country im banned from is tescos in wimbledeon village

Guest Franklin

my wife and I bought a house several months ago so this is not rent or anything... but we pay $800 (canadian dollars) + utilities

which is like 492 british pounds , or 600 euros, or 770 US dollars

a whole house + a double lot with shitloads of grass and gardens. once my gardens are planted i'll post some pics.

sucks to be living in fucking london.

im weighing up london compared to berlin to live after ive finished my piano degree here.

Berlin (and Germany in general) is notoriously cheap rent, would be interesting to hear from the Berliners on the board.

I've only ever spent a week in Hamburg, but the residents were easily the most polite and nicest people I've met. I wish I was German.

I pay $800 [£513.133 or €627.378] + $100 for utilities for a large room. I live with three others right on the beach in San Francisco.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Right now I rent a furnished room for £280 ($435, €340) which is quite cheap, I'm right in a nasty council estate near Oxford. I live with a guy who owns the house and one other person. Moving in September and will pay about £300 for a smaller room but a nicer house.

btw isnt wimbledeon quite a posh bit of london

yeah, it is in places, but it has it cheaper areas - i live in east wimbledon, not far from tooting, not a bad area by any means, but much cheaper then wimbledon village.

Last 4 years: $1075 (utilities included except electric) for a 1000 sq/ft 1st floor 1-bedroom with a huge patio in a 70s building, underground garage parking, storage unit, Washer & Dryer in unit, about 6 miles from downtown and a 10-minute walk to a lake.

Moving later this month: $1165 (utilities included except electric) for a 650-700 sq/ft 2nd floor 1-bedroom in a 1927 building with hardwoods, no patio, optional underground parking, smaller storage unit, no washer & dryer, no dishwasher, much more active neighborhood about a 10-minute walk to downtown.

Guest Jimbob

two of us in a 3 bedroom semi detatched, with small patio at the back, £500 per month split two ways

It's too big though really, so we're going our seperate ways when the tenancy expires

Guest Fatcaesar

400 euros, 1 big room (i live with my grandparents), internet, electricity, heat and warm water and food for that price..

It's cheap as hell.

I was paying $1200/month, then $1350/month (AKA WAAAY too much) split between my girlfriend and me. Now she's working on a cruise ship doing photography for a few months so she can finally pay off her student loan/see the world, and I've moved back in with my parents to save up until she gets back. The first place we lived in was actually really nice, definitely not overpriced, but it would have been worth it to live in a more modest place and have more money left over for other things. Rent where I live is just stupidly high in general.

$420 a month for 1 bedroom and full bath in an apartment i'm sharing with a couple from craigslist in a college town. has pool where i can sleaze on ladies from a small balcony and a fitness room where i get ripped every day i also get to live next to my own personal highway and my own personal train goes by my own personal window every night

$585, utilities not included, for one bedroom in a three bedroom apartment shared with another couple and one other guy.

Perks: walking distance to school and public transportation, across the street from the park, safe yuppie neighborhood, washer and dryer, garbage disposal, sizable backyard, plentiful parking, and a relaxed but responsible landlord.

Cons: Terrible roommates.

Mortgage is 1172 a month. House has 3 bedrooms (master bedroom is 11x14) and 2 full bathrooms. 1432 sq. ft.

Total price 155,000. I live in eastern Washington state. My yard is full of trees, flowers, plants and bush but the city I live in is nothing but tumbleweeds.

Archived