IGNORED

Apple's Ping

Joyrex

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a good write-up on the issues of Ping, and shares some of the grievances I have with the whole iTunes uber-package too (so much so, it's primarily what has prevented me from ever installing it) - http://www.xconomy.com/national/2010/09/03/the-leaning-tower-of-ping-how-itunes-could-be-apples-undoing/

I noticed some increased speed in itunes. anyone else did notice that?

Yeah, I want to bitch about the new iTunes, but to be honest it seems much more responsive, with much quicker startups, and it's not hanging or giving me any beach balls. On a mac, obviously.

Ping looks to be utter shit, but that just means I'll never bother to turn it on. If it seriously contributed to bloat, it would be one thing, but as is iTunes feels a good deal speedier.

Quite a good write-up on the issues of Ping, and shares some of the grievances I have with the whole iTunes uber-package too (so much so, it's primarily what has prevented me from ever installing it) - http://www.xconomy.com/national/2010/09/03/the-leaning-tower-of-ping-how-itunes-could-be-apples-undoing/

that is a retarded article:

He lists a long list of features which one never need use. I understand that iTunes is not great on Windows (though I have yet to try it on windows 7, although I doubt it will be much improved), but he's complaining about using it on a Mac, which leads me to believe that he either a) doesn't own a Mac or b) has gone full retard.

Don't use iTunes to auto-manage your library of music and you'll be a happy camper, at least on a Mac.

LOL at ping getting spammed to hell and back.

my favorite thing about itunes ping and genius and all those other things is that you need a credit card to use them. which i dont have.

fuck you apple

no paypal works too

there was no option for paypal when i was trying to sign up..

im on the page right now.. it has visa, mastercard, and what ever the green one is.

no paypal option anywhere on the page :(

LOL what a joke. I never realized Genius was also tied directly with the store, and that you couldn't use it without having an account (and therefore a cc or whatever).

LOL

Don't use iTunes to auto-manage your library of music and you'll be a happy camper, at least on a Mac.

Why do I keep hearing this? I do this and have no problems, it keeps things organized just the way I like it. If you do it right, I don't see the problem. Maybe the default settings for this suck? I don't know.

He lists a long list of features which one never need use. I understand that iTunes is not great on Windows (though I have yet to try it on windows 7, although I doubt it will be much improved), but he's complaining about using it on a Mac, which leads me to believe that he either a) doesn't own a Mac or b) has gone full retard.

LOL at ping getting spammed to hell and back.

most people who use itunes do it. in fact, most people that use apple software are happy with letting it auto do whatever it can, isn't that the whole apple software design philosphy? what is good about itunes anyway? i've never seen any virtue in it besides the visual gimmicks.

Why do I keep hearing this? I do this and have no problems, it keeps things organized just the way I like it. If you do it right, I don't see the problem. Maybe the default settings for this suck? I don't know.

im in this boat. when i import something new i usually do it in a playlist so i know exactly where it is, then i do a 'get info' on it and assign all the data and art i want and im done. :shrug:

Sidewinder - tried importing compilations using that method? See how it creates multiple folders for it?

Gordo - do you know "most" apple users? What visual gimmicks? I like iTunes because I have an iPod touch, it makes importing CDs easy (and has a decent converter, at least for AAC files), podcasts are easy to manage, and I find the interface fairly intuitive, but then I stripped it right down so all it has is music, podcasts, itunes U and Apps in the library section and a couple of playlists.

Sidewinder - tried importing compilations using that method? See how it creates multiple folders for it?

cant you just check the box that asks if its a comp? if ypu do it will keep it in a compilation folder no?

Jules it fucks up in all kinds of ways I've found. But if it works for you, power to you. I'm still stuck in the folder mentality for organizing my music collection.

Jules it fucks up in all kinds of ways I've found. But if it works for you, power to you. I'm still stuck in the folder mentality for organizing my music collection.

i do have compilations but for the overwhelming majority i usually will name the artist the album. say, the vanilla sky soundtrack. id put that in as artist and album and in the song name, ill put the artist in brackets afterwards, that way i dont have hundreds of artists with only 1 song.

i do have compilations but for the overwhelming majority i usually will name the artist the album. say, the vanilla sky soundtrack. id put that in as artist and album and in the song name, ill put the artist in brackets afterwards, that way i dont have hundreds of artists with only 1 song.

that doesn't sound like you're letting iTunes manage your tunes for you then...;)

im in this boat. when i import something new i usually do it in a playlist so i know exactly where it is, then i do a 'get info' on it and assign all the data and art i want and im done. :shrug:

Exactly.

cant you just check the box that asks if its a comp? if ypu do it will keep it in a compilation folder no?

Exactly. Then you have a nice neat folder inside your "compilations" folder with the title of the newly imported comp.

See? The problems come from people not knowing how to use it. I have the "let iTunes manage my library" checkbox checked, so that when I import things it files it properly with the naming convention I like. Sometimes I have to go edit things, such as checking the "part of a compilation" box, fix track names, etc. but otherwise it works just fine.

I'm in the folder mentality too. :shrug:

Being an avid last.fm scrobbler, I can't go for this. The only thing I ever put in my song names is "feat. such and such" and the like. I always keep artist names intact even in comps. I don't mind having hundreds of artists with only one song, at least it's accurate. And I sort my library by "Albums by Year" so comps are always grouped and artist albums appear chronologically rather than alphabetically.

He lists a long list of features which one never need use.

Titter :lol: That was exactly the point of the long list - he was saying there's just so much bloat to the whole application it's becoming almost unmanageable.

that doesn't sound like you're letting iTunes manage your tunes for you then...;)

ha, but i do use the compilations feature in which case it does :whistling:

Being an avid last.fm scrobbler, I can't go for this. The only thing I ever put in my song names is "feat. such and such" and the like. I always keep artist names intact even in comps. I don't mind having hundreds of artists with only one song, at least it's accurate. And I sort my library by "Albums by Year" so comps are always grouped and artist albums appear chronologically rather than alphabetically.

i have started to abandon that as of recently, but early on, in my 2nd gen ipod days, i tried to keep that very streamlined and always searched by artist. it was annoying as hell to have 13 artists for one album especially when i wanted to listen to that album.

That was exactly the point of the long list - he was saying there's just so much bloat to the whole application it's becoming almost unmanageable.

the point is you don't have to use them, but you can if you want to. this is not cruft - cruft is software that doesn't allow you the choice and is full of useless options.

Let's look at his list:

• It lets you rip CDs to digital formats and play the new files - the horror, a music player that let's you play the new files

• It lets you burn new CDs from your digital files

• It lets you print jewel-case inserts for your newly burned CDs

• It gives you several ways of visualizing your media collection, including Cover Flow - oh my lord, a choice in how things are presented?

• It lets you curate your music collection with ratings and the like - i never use this feature personally, but this doesn't slow down the software, nor does it add to the complexity of the program

• It lets you create playlists from subsets of your music collection - good god, taking tracks from one giant list and making playlists of music. IN a music player of all things.

• Its “Genius” feature can automatically create new playlists based on your listening habits - turn it off if you don't like it, use it if you do, it doesn't slow things down or add to the complexity

• It includes a music equalizer and other sound processing features - standard on virtually every other music player I believe?

• It stores copies of your purchased albums, TV shows, and movies - no. say it isn't so. you mean, i bought some music or a tv show, and now it is stored somewhere on my hard drive? This madness must end.(I don't actually purchase music/movies from iTunes)

• It stores copies of your downloaded podcasts and iTunes U videos - see above

• It stores copies of the iBooks editions, PDFs, and audiobooks that you may be consuming on your iPhone or iPad - see above

• It stores copies of all of your iPhone and iPad apps - see above

• The Genius function can suggest apps you might like based on your past downloads - turn it off or use it, it doesn't add to the complexity

• It stores copies of your iPhone ringtones (but it doesn’t let you make your own ringtones anymore) - so in this case, they've actually taken away a feature?

• It connects to hundreds of streaming Internet radio stations - same with every other music player out there

• It is the leading podcasting client, automatically downloading new audio and video podcasts to which you have subscribed - turn off the automatically download function

• It is the gateway to the iTunes Store, which is really seven separate stores for music, movies, TV shows, apps, podcasts, audio books, and university lectures - so instead of having seven different pieces of software to access these stores, there is one? Do you get overly confused when you shop at Tescos?

• It’s the only way to access the new Ping social network - turn it off.

• It’s the hub for sharing music across your home wireless network - a music player that lets you share music. Wow. Serious bloat right there

• If you have a new iPhone or iPad, you have to use iTunes to activate cellular or data plans - this one sure, shouldn't be part of iTunes, it should just be done on the phone

• It synchronizes the music, movies, or TV shows that you buy on your computer to your iPod, iPhone, or iPad, and vice versa - again, you can turn off auto sync, and just drag and drop music and movies.

• It can transcode video in certain PC formats such as QuickTime into formats that are playable on iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Apple TV - well i never, a media player that allows you (doesn't force you mind) to transcode media.

• It synchronizes your iCal calendar with the calendars on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad; it also synchronizes your address books and any content in your Notes app - again you can turn this funtion off

• It is the conduit for installing the MobileMe control panel, if you want to synchronize data automatically across your PC and your Apple devices - if you want to, you don't have to.

• It stores voice memos recorded using the iPhone’s built-in voice memo app - I don't have an iPhone so I shouldn't comment, but I bet you can turn it off

• It’s the repository for music and video files embedded in documents created using Apple’s iWork and iLife productivity applications - this one is a little silly, I agree.

• It interacts with the Remote app, which lets you control your media collection from an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad - holy shit, letting software be controlled by a remote control? Does he complain about remotes for the TV or DVD player?

For almost all of the functions, you could install a different piece of software and use those instead of having it consolidated. But my experience is that barring the transcoding of video, iTunes does all of the above exceedingly well. the software is easy as fuck to use, is quick (at least on a mac, which again, leads me to believe that the guy doesn't own a Mac, especially when he references "the desktop version of iTunes". There is no other version of iTunes.

So to reiterate, you can never use the features, and even with them enabled, itunes works well with no interference in playing music. And yes, i remember using SoundJam on my G3 Mac.

Gordo - do you know "most" apple users? What visual gimmicks? I like iTunes because I have an iPod touch, it makes importing CDs easy (and has a decent converter, at least for AAC files), podcasts are easy to manage, and I find the interface fairly intuitive, but then I stripped it right down so all it has is music, podcasts, itunes U and Apps in the library section and a couple of playlists.

I do know the average apple user and i'm gonna assume that most apple users are the average user. it is a person who doesn't even know that its music is stored in folders, they just drag and drop shit from itunes (nothing wrong with that).

visual gimmicks i mean things like coverflow. i guess i understand you liking itunes because it makes managing the music on your ipod easier. in my case i find it easier to hack the thing and just use folders inside it the same way i have them on my HD. i never found it intuitive to use, the way to browse you music and playlist management always seemed counterintuitive to me.

That was exactly the point of the long list - he was saying there's just so much bloat to the whole application it's becoming almost unmanageable.

• It stores copies of your iPhone ringtones (but it doesn’t let you make your own ringtones anymore) - so in this case, they've actually taken away a feature?

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/10/07/iphone-ringtones-create-free-iphone-ringtones-using-itunes-8/

This way still works, and is pretty easy, and free, and lets you make a ringtone out of any piece of music (unless it's DRM'd, and if you have DRM'd music on iTunes, you're a fucking moron).

ooh a big thread of shit i would hate talking about extensively

And yet you felt the need to stick your nose in and contribute exactly nothing. well done!

Gordo - in that case, i know the average windows user - their machines are full of spyware and malware and people like them are at least partially responsible for the massive amount of spam on the net.

Archived