• Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gbiscuit

Anytime I've said that I enjoy Electronic music I get one of these 4 responses:

a)Have you heard of Basshunter?

b)Have you heard of Deadmau5?

c)Have you heard of Tiesto?

d)Have you heard of Dubstep?

I gave up after awhile, and simply stated that I like good music.

The suburbs don't tend to be a haven of interesting music unfortunately. I was raised on Country, and sometimes I wonder how I ended up listening to what I do today...

:shrug:

it's like that sample in the Orb song 'white river junction'. when i ask those who generally aren't in to such detailed music as idm, they say they only hear static, or some kind of fluttering. it's actually saying 'listen to the radio', almost subliminally. fucking genius. anyways, yea

Electronic music

or folk funk and elek .,.. i don't care if they don't understand me, as it's their fault for asking innit. And i'm not intrested in what they like. Luckily in my age group it's rare that the go-to conversational bridge is something like 'what type of music do you like' so i'm just inventing my fantasy reply really. Also, when i say 'folk', i don't mean pokey arsed folk music, it's just an identifier for guitar stuff you know, punk/sonic youth/the beatles/death .. melodic pop guitar stuff. funk is for funk/disco/, and elek is for electronic. Sure there are many styles i like, from salsa to jpop, but whatever, folk funk and elek sounds short and cute.

damn it, i explained that to someone, geh. what a stupid waste of time.

Guest Calx Sherbet

I always hate this question. I avoid saying anything strange. If I did, it wouldn't impress them, it would just confuse them. Then you gotta explain shit, and you know they won't get it unless you're lucky.

Guest fiznuthian

usually i say:

ambient, experimental, avant-garde, folk, jazz , noise, idm, minimal techno, house, electro, dub, etc..

then when i get the :wacko: face i resume what i'm doing and ignore them.

Guest HerculesCzar

I usually just bite the bullet and explain to them whatever it is I'm listening to atm. If they go glassy-eyed on me, so be it. It pisses me off when someone asks a question and then doesn't want to engage when you answer them.

Guest disparaissant

i say i like everything, because i typically do like at least a couple bands, performers or composers from any given genre... (although just in different doses). in fact the only exceptions to this rule on the entire planet that i have found so far are perhaps r&b, adult contemporary, and k-pop

this right here. except i do like me some r&b (older stuff mostly.) and if you consider yacht rock to be adult contemporary, that too. k-pop is awful though.

I say aphex twin , sqaurepusher or Autechre. I like a lot of diff stuff, but I never say electronic. I only really like a handful of electronic artists so it would be misleading to just say electronic or idm. Cause i dislike most attempts at this music

I'll usually say 'a lot electronic stuff, some indie/alternative rock, some metal and folk, some pop.'

At which point they're like 'electronic? Do you like Lady Gaga?' or 'So do you like [insert generic trance artist here]?'

To which I'll reply something like 'nah, weird-as-hell ambient glitchy stuff, usually.'

And then we move on to another subject.

I generally try and avoid a stupid follow up question.

' Broad range. Anything from Jazz to electronic music ' usually keeps uninterested people from making a fool out of themselves(in my eyes anyway).

I do like to go into it if the person's gonna be sensible about it. I've always had a hard time saying I listen to Drum and Bass. They automatically think I listen to Pendulum and other jump up clown step shit that they've heard on radio 1. In reality I prefer the more intelligent side of it. Instrumental, Calibre, D Bridge, Paradox etc etc.

"stuff that isnt shit"

oh yeah, that's what i've been saying lately, thanks for reminding me kaenoe ;-] ...

"The good music from every genre.", that way i can still knock what they recommend and be superior even in their corner of the music world.

Archived