IGNORED

Tortoise/Autechre 12", any good?

markedone

I couldn't find any thread on this 1998 12" remix release, and was wondering how it is

From the 30 second previews here it is a bit noodly.. but hints at some very nice autechre slap bass. How is the progression on these tracks? I'm just thinking of getting the 12" as a nice ambient record and want to know a bit more about it

Guest Greg Reason

It's a fantastic record but it's not called Onions Wrapped in Rubber, it's just called Tortoise / Autechre. Onions Wrapped in Rubber is the name of Tortoise' publishing company

It's two Autechre remixes of Ten-Day Interval by Tortoise, one of which is really minimal tweaks of acoustic piano (similar to Ae's Jello/Bola remix) but they're both really good. Terrible cover art though

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

It's a fantastic record but it's not called Onions Wrapped in Rubber, it's just called Tortoise / Autechre. Onions Wrapped in Rubber is the name of Tortoise' publishing company

It's two Autechre remixes of Ten-Day Interval by Tortoise, one of which is really minimal tweaks of acoustic piano (similar to Ae's Jello/Bola remix) but they're both really good. Terrible cover art though

Oh lol, just noticed the cover art now. Hilarious. I like the original cover art though.

i think they're quite good, as i'm a pretty big fan of tortoise (saw them play in buffalo, and saw john mcentire play auxiliary percussion with broken social scene a few weeks later).

very noodly, but i like the subtle progressions, and it's very true to the spirit of tortoise imo.

Guest tht tne

These are both excellent tracks. Both of them reappear on A Lazarus Taxon, so if you're also a Tortoise fan you'd probably be better off picking up this set.

isn't that out-of-print? i had bought it once and tried to buy it again and couldn't get it through my usual channels

These are both excellent tracks. Both of them reappear on A Lazarus Taxon, so if you're also a Tortoise fan you'd probably be better off picking up this set.

i was thinking about getting that but then i saw the 12" on discogs and couldn't resist!

isn't that out-of-print? i had bought it once and tried to buy it again and couldn't get it through my usual channels

It's out of print, but it hasn't been for long, so I'd guess you could still find it for a reasonable price.

i think this is probably my least listened to Autechre piece of vinyl that i own. The remix a little too meandering for my tastes and seems to employ almost mostly just a comb filter delay and not much else manipulation to the source material

i prefer much more the original Tortoise track

i think this is probably my least listened to Autechre piece of vinyl that i own. The remix a little too meandering for my tastes

Snap!

i think this is probably my least listened to Autechre piece of vinyl that i own. The remix a little too meandering for my tastes

Snap!

point taken. it's a little lazy. but i love the tortoise track too. i guess i would say i prefer the tortoise track, if only because they actually wrote it. but i enjoy them both.

Archived