IGNORED

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Atop

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a warning for using the word nigger on these boards, bypassing the censorship that filtered it into "African American" (which is bullshit, surely there are European niggers too). It was very niggardly of the mods.

yeah surely there must be some law against editing things you have every right to edit. What would this world be if we just let anyone do anything they want with our treasured works of art

Waterlilies-Banksy-Graffiti-Art.jpg

why... someone could replace the soundtrack of metropolis with some sort of disgusting techno music and thered be no one to stop the gross injustice! Someone could put a rap acapella over the American national anthem! There really ought to be a law! Soon theyll be removing the dirty language and questionable content from classic films for broadcast on television! How would i decide for myself which versions to consume?

do you actually believe any of the contrary nonsense you're writing? there's a gigantic difference between a corporation deciding that something isn't fit to broadcast because it might lose advertisers and a school system requiring a text to be edited because a word in the text is "offensive" to certain people.

do you actually believe any of the contrary nonsense you're writing? there's a gigantic difference between a corporation deciding that something isn't fit to broadcast because it might lose advertisers and a school system requiring a text to be edited because a word in the text is "offensive" to certain people.

I'm being contrary to point out the differences/similarities between freedom of creativity, expression and that of "intolerable" artistic defacement. This edit was the effort of one person, NOT a school system. This individual has every right to do what hes doing just as any artist who appropriates and modifies has the right to do what hes doing! Even (and especially) if people bitch and moan about it being offensive to the work's original intents. I see more than a few people in this thread and online who would take away the rights of individuals to modify public property in any way they see fit solely based on the property's supposed artistic merit and historical significance.

No one district has yet required this text to be used, just as no one is requiring you to watch die hard 2 on fox. Like die hard 2, this version of huck finn is being censored to increase viewership/readership. Similarly, the language in die hard is censored solely because people are offended the language. Whether its a corporation modifying their property or an individual modifying theirs, it's the same principal, though it is for different ends.

Censorship will not prevent a teacher from mentioning the racial overtones of the story, just as leaving it uncensored does not mean they teacher will even mention racism or teach the book at all. Ultimately what version of huck finn you read and what you will take away from it lies squarely in the hands of the teacher and most importantly the individual. A student still has every right to throw censored finn in the binn, walk to the library and read the original text. So i just dont get why people shit their pants over this stuff like this guy's tearing slavery out from the history books.

but i'd say the problem comes down to lazy TEACHING rather than lazy parenting.

how does it come down to lazy teaching? Right now there are numerous schools that cant legally study the book because it has been banned for the use of the word. This version at least gives them the opportunity to teach the book.

It's hardly teaching the same book. Here's a quote from a Japanese historian that might make it easier to understand why this is important:

"One can justifiably say that history is reason. When one completely forgets one's past, awareness disappears, in other words, reasoning disappears. One's understanding of oneself disappears." (Inoue Tetsujiro) This is commonly referred to as whitewashing - the Japanese know a few things about this, as there was a huge controversy recently over Japanese high school history textbooks severely modifying events such as the "Rape of Nanking" from one of the most brutal war crimes in history to "the japanese army went into nanking and pacified some bandits, then order was restored". Or denying the use of comfort women as forced sex slaves.

Removal of the word is a denial that the usage happened.

It is both lazy teaching and lazy parenting. It's lazy on the part of the teachers who don't want to explain the context (and this is a book for high school students, not for elementary school students, so it should be relatively easy to explain "context"), and it's lazy on the part of the parents who want to pretend to their child that there is nothing bad in the world, and no one will ever say bad things based on silly prejudices.

I, for one, am glad Auburn University is doing this.

It reinforces the stereotype that Auburn University, and the entirety of the US South, is full of morons. And I'm ok with that.

its public domain book, how can it become censored it has like 10000000 bublishers

this.

Ban the book from being sold with the word "nigger" in it. Replace with books that instead say "slave" or when that becomes too offensive for johnny and sally's precious little ears, "my african-american friend".

its public domain book, how can it become censored it has like 10000000 bublishers

this.

Ban the book from being sold with the word "nigger" in it. Replace with books that instead say "slave" or when that becomes too offensive for johnny and sally's precious little ears, "my african-american friend".

i just don't think it would be possible to blanket censor this. shit, i own two copies. anyone who speaks english and is in any way into literature probably owns one. i imagine it's been translated into myriad languages also.. how does that pan out in terms of use of language? like sup says, it's waaaay out of copyright, so every chav and his dug can print it if they want. how would it be possible to censor that worldwide.

usa i can see, worldwide re-invent? nah.

incidentally, i hear the educational copies issued to schools in the us will be replacing the word 'nigger' with the phrase 'intelligent design'.

:lol:

You guys are making it out to be like they are removing all copies of this book containing the word nigger and replacing it with the sanitized version. They are just making a different edition of it so it can be used in the curriculum of some backwards places in the south. The original isn't going anywhere.

this.

i just don't think it would be possible to blanket censor this. shit, i own two copies. anyone who speaks english and is in any way into literature probably owns one. i imagine it's been translated into myriad languages also.. how does that pan out in terms of use of language? like sup says, it's waaaay out of copyright, so every chav and his dug can print it if they want. how would it be possible to censor that worldwide.

usa i can see, worldwide re-invent? nah.

incidentally, i hear the educational copies issued to schools in the us will be replacing the word 'nigger' with the phrase 'intelligent design'.

Yeah i was referring specifically to the USA.

also lol at "intelligent design" replacement.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

You guys are making it out to be like they are removing all copies of this book containing the word nigger and replacing it with the sanitized version. They are just making a different edition of it so it can be used in the curriculum of some backwards places in the south. The original isn't going anywhere.

But if the new fucking version is what is presented in school -- the only place that 99% of the US population will ever encounter this book, most likely, then the fucking effect is the same.

If school is the only place 99% of the US population encounters a classic book from their literary history, then there is a much bigger problem than the whitewashing. And AFAIK the original Huck Finn is still on the curriculum in many schools around the US.

I just watched the Daily Show episode about this and it's the funniest segment I've seen on the Daily Show in a long time

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-january-11-2011/mark-twain-controversy

lol that was hilarious

"it's ok to be seen without your make-up, America...people will still want to fuck you, you're rich!"

rofl

Was reading an article about this a while back. It had a great Mark Twain quote at the end

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the whole thing

Archived