Meadows and Labyrinths

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

- "Acid"

i almost added that but i figured i was doing enough damage already

- The '80s

should have thought of that. minecraft-fixation brings us into a glorious era of 90s

Guest AcrossCanyons

I half want the sudden fascination of triangles to die - on one hand, I've always loved em so more triangles in graphics are great, but on the other hand, I've always loved em but now anything I do associated with them might wrongly have people put me into hipster category. :crazy:

I half want the sudden fascination of triangles to die - on one hand, I've always loved em so more triangles in graphics are great, but on the other hand, I've always loved em but now anything I do associated with them might wrongly have people put me into hipster category. :crazy:

hexagons are the new triangles

i just really like the experience of playing records, it forces me to have a longer attention span, the art is great to have in a large size and i love sampling from them.

People like vinyl and tape because it doesn't sound perfect and it has another feeling to it. Perhaps a sense of nostalgia. The hiss does add something to many music styles.

Amen to that.

Let's find a new decade to revive. The 80's are over... for the second time and thank god. What's next? Why not the roaring 20's?

Flapper chicks will replace the alt-Hos and dapper gents with monacles will replace the alt-Bros. Swing and Big Band will replace chillwave and speakeasy's will replace Co-ops. Yes, I can get behind this.

Let's find a new decade to revive. The 80's are over... for the second time and thank god. What's next? Why not the roaring 20's?

Flapper chicks will replace the alt-Hos and dapper gents with monacles will replace the alt-Bros. Swing and Big Band will replace chillwave and speakeasy's will replace Co-ops. Yes, I can get behind this.

it sounds like it'd be good but you know people will just butcher the fuck out of it and take everything way out of proportion.

Books have been obsolete for years, therefore theyre shit and I hate them.

reductio ad absurdum

Reading books is great. I prefer to read them on an e-reader because you can carry hundreds with you at once and they don't waste paper or ink. :)

yeah i was kind of with Autopilot in a devil's advocate sense until he made that the primary reason of his distate for vinyl.

i just really like the experience of playing records, it forces me to have a longer attention span, the art is great to have in a large size and i love sampling from them.

but from a DJ standpoint i could see how one would want to 'rebel' against the doctrine of 'vinyl makes you a better dj' because yes its absolute bullshit. Most DJs who worship vinyl are idiots, they think they understand the difference between analog/digital yet none of them have ever made a track.

Glad you see my point with the vinyl-worshipping DJs. As for the attention span thing, someone could make an iPod app that stops the release halfway through and makes you press play again.

listening to someone bring in a tune on autosync is frankly, dull and dissatisying.

Agreed, but that's implying that I was championing the digital format because it makes it easier for talentless DJs to mix, which I was not. No software or hardware is going to make someone with little talent sound good to any trained ear. Take a look at EKT or the Watmmmixes forum.

Personally, when out dancing I'd much rather hear some uninspired, but perfectly beatmatched mixing than listen to two songs off by 1 bpm and having a jitter clusterfuck of hihats until the DJ can correct themselves with a jarring pitchshift warble right before the drop. Whenever I hear that I immediately think "must be a vinyl mix".

you can blab science at me all you want but you are just straight up wrong

That sounds a lot like ICP getting angry at scientists for telling them how magnets work.

thirdly, a vinyl collection is the most beautiful and personal thing a music fan can possibly own. a computer full of high quality mp3's is good and all, but does it look cool? does it say, ive dedcicated my entire life to the pursuit of fantastic music, and its got me a wall full of cool as fuck records that will last forever?

Here you're defining your own personal self worth by the things you've collected. The way you say this makes it seem like you're partly enthusiastic about owning the music, but also simultaneously owning them for the sake of saying to everyone else 'look what I've got'. Also, your records will definitely not last forever if you actually want to listen to them regularly. Nothing will last forever...but the benefits of digital media is that we can make several copies of perfect-quality originals so that when something dies, it will be retrievable in one of the many other instances.

As for the most beautiful and personal thing a music fan can possibly own, I'd personally go with a piano or guitar for that one.

so yeah basically, as a passionate electronic music lover i find your views kind of sad and miserable.

and as for the enviroment, who fuckin cares? how about we stop destroying entire country sized forests before we stop pressing vinyl.

The 'as for the enviroment, who fuckin cares' part especially made me wince. Normally, this is the point where I would label you as the troll by virtue of the fact that nobody could possibly be that much of a foresight-devoid ignoramous to still maintain that kind of attitude in 2011, and you must surely be playing devil's advocate for the sake of winding me up. However, I will not make such an assumption.

While I personally have no say in stopping this ill-defined pronoun 'we' from destroying country sized forests (although I would argue that buying locally grown, seasonal produce and fair-trade certified goods is definitely a good step in the right direction), I do have a say in whether or not I will personally consume physical media in a time when technology has made it obsolete.

I thank you for stating your views on the matter, even if I reciprocally found them just as sad and miserable.

haha ive thought about the big band thing too but i think the 90s is whats next on the list. Its probably the product of nostalgia by whichever generation has the cultural limelight.

haha ive thought about the big band thing too but i think the 90s is whats next on the list. Its probably the product of nostalgia by whichever generation has the cultural limelight.

it's beginning already. i'm even trying to pre-empt it by slowly adding more and more early 90s rave elements to my music, lol

it's beginning already. i'm even trying to pre-empt it by slowly adding more and more early 90s rave elements to my music, lol

yeah they already nostalgified the 20's in the 50's, for real.

-peacoats w/ skinny jeans

-people posting every mundane thing they do on facebook.

-CDs

-gps in vehicles, how hard is it to read road signs?

-remaking/rebooting movies or franchises. This kinda goes hand in hand with nostalgia marketing.

-vagina/shawl collar sweaters

-metalcore. A guy I kinda know, but not too well was telling me he's getting into metal. At first I was like "fuck yea, want to borrow my maiden or sabbath albums?" But then I was like "wtf?" when he said he liked Asking Alexandria and Parkway Drive. I need to link him to the metal thread we have here.

-bling bling grills and wheels on all new cars, so many different cars look identical these days.

-people who think being bitter about everything = being smarter

-4chan being treated like a legitimate threat to corporations/governments

-internet memes being used as jokes by the mainstream media

-Youtube comments that go "*exact number of people who disliked this video* must have been *something bad relating to video*"

-pop stars who don't even attempt to pretend they're singing

-imminent doomsday conspiracies

-trying to make things look/sound like they were made between 1971 & 1995

like i said, minecraft... that seems pretty 90s to me.

well right now there are all these dance songs on the radio that have BLACK PEOPLE singing in them. Dance w/ black people. The early 90's.

This makes me think about strauss-howe generation theory and how culturally gridlocked things feel

yeah i was kind of with Autopilot in a devil's advocate sense until he made that the primary reason of his distate for vinyl.

but from a DJ standpoint i could see how one would want to 'rebel' against the doctrine of 'vinyl makes you a better dj' because yes its absolute bullshit. Most DJs who worship vinyl are idiots, they think they understand the difference between analog/digital yet none of them have ever made a track.

Glad you see my point with the vinyl-worshipping DJs. As for the attention span thing, someone could make an iPod app that stops the release halfway through and makes you press play again.

haha what i meant was the fact that vinyl actually takes some form of tactile labor to flip it, skip to a new track, etc, SOMEHOW stops my OCD impulse to switch to a new track. On a cd or mp3 player i can do this doing even less work, so i think just that extra step kind of forces me to listen to actual vinyl without skipping tracks.

Archived