Battles - Gloss Drop

beariksson

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

[youtubehd]3FsvMyQeC-Q[/youtubehd]

so it's agreed. album cover is bad. video is amazing.

i like it

needs more listens though

actually in context of the rest of the album, ice cream is pretty great. listened on the way to work a couple of weeks ago and had to resist busting some serious moves on public transport!

edit: the gary numan track is EXCELLENT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigs

pretty great, but not of the magnitude that i was hoping for.

after listening to it for a while longer, holy shit was i wrong! this album is pretty amazing. it's hard to get into, because most of us fell in love with mirrored and eps b/c and waited 4 years for the next step, but tyondai left the band and things changed. when you listen to this album a few times, it will slowly grow on you. battles is still there, tyondai is just gone (in fact, listening to his solo album and this one truly reveals the magnitude of his influence). as of yet, inchworm is my favorite track. fucking amazing!

New live video for the track Wall Street. The place is impressive, the sound is very good, me likey.

http://vimeo.com/24107860

Apparently there's another "session" incoming on this website, will check it out.

GLOSS DROP I WANT YOU.

This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping Mirrored would sound like.

New live video for the track Wall Street. The place is impressive, the sound is very good, me likey.

http://vimeo.com/24107860

Apparently there's another "session" incoming on this website, will check it out.

GLOSS DROP I WANT YOU.

Wasn't too impressed with Ice Cream but have just pre-ordered the LP on the strength of that song - it's just about everything I want from a battles record, the bit from 6:15 to 6:50 is just insane.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Gloss Drop is a fantastic record, but it did take me a few spins to get my head around it. Once it clicks though... :biggrin: Wall Street is the track of the year so far in my opinion.

FAO anyone who can't stand the Matias Aguayo vocals on Ice Cream, the single release comes with an instrumental version, so you can swap it out with the original if you want to

I think Tyondai Braxton's last solo album was incredible!

But I am still looking forward to this Battles album even though he's not in it.

I thought Central Market was good but I don't know how often I'd ever listen to it... I think I listened to it twice and haven't touched it since I got it a couple of months ago. Something I'd have to be in the mood for. Albums like that are good though. I consider Confield to be one of those albums, probably one of my favourite albums ever. And Geogaddi too, only listen to it like once a year but damn is it glorious when I do.

I thought Central Market was good but I don't know how often I'd ever listen to it... I think I listened to it twice and haven't touched it since I got it a couple of months ago. Something I'd have to be in the mood for. Albums like that are good though. I consider Confield to be one of those albums, probably one of my favourite albums ever. And Geogaddi too, only listen to it like once a year but damn is it glorious when I do.

I know what you mean. It is pretty dense and complex and zany. I wouldn't listen to it often, but I'm so glad exists, and when it works for you it really works... like those other albums you mentioned!

Thing is, though, Central Market made me realise what he was responsible for in the band - and I will miss those elements. But I'm sure it'll be great. Bring on the release!

Guest Jenga

Made the mistake of picking up the Ice Cream 12" not with bleep, and it therefore didnt come with any downloads. Could anyone help me out with that?

Also, Black Sundome is incredible. Anyone know if its different than the Sundome track from upcoming Gloss Drop?

Made the mistake of picking up the Ice Cream 12" not with bleep, and it therefore didnt come with any downloads. Could anyone help me out with that?

Also, Black Sundome is incredible. Anyone know if its different than the Sundome track from upcoming Gloss Drop?

Not that much of a mistake - bleep are charging f**king £9 plus postage for the 12"

Best off buying it somewhere else + then getting the 3-track download from bleep for a quid. Still cheaper.

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/productdetail.jsp?productPK=unittest-hOGyeWdW4wY7UsnjqN3IEb-1

http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=28937

Seriously though, I've no idea what's going on with bleep - why does it cost so much MORE to buy warp LPs direct from the label? Compare it to the ninja tune shop, where £5 gets you a 12" + postage and mp3 download.

Seriously though, I've no idea what's going on with bleep - why does it cost so much MORE to buy warp LPs direct from the label? Compare it to the ninja tune shop, where £5 gets you a 12" + postage and mp3 download.

this is something that has come up a lot recently. I got soured on my oversteps preorder and bought the last thing I ever did/will from bleep in the cosmogramma special edition with "art print". I ended up getting the album almost a week after it came out for way more than almost everywhere else on the internet. and the art print was an off center postcard. I will not be suckered by them again.

this is something that has come up a lot recently. I got soured on my oversteps preorder and bought the last thing I ever did/will from bleep in the cosmogramma special edition with "art print". I ended up getting the album almost a week after it came out for way more than almost everywhere else on the internet. and the art print was an off center postcard. I will not be suckered by them again.

Heh, I fell for the 'art print' as well - I now keep that postcard in a vacuum-sealed display case to preserve it's one-off rareness. Oh wait, actually I threw it away.

As most warp LPs come with a DL card included, places like Norman Records are the place to go I reckon.

Guest Jenga

Best off buying it somewhere else + then getting the 3-track download from bleep for a quid. Still cheaper.

Ya - Good point. That does still save some money. Thanks

I'm trying to get into it too. I'm not managing. Not saying it's crap or anything, but this really isn't clicking, bar 2 tracks. Mind you, I've said that about other albums I ended up loving.... still, I can at least say it's not the Battles I know and love!

I gave Mirrored a listen when it came out and was a bit torn about it... loved the music, but absolutely hated all the high-pitched vocals everywhere. Then I gave Ice Cream a listen when it was released and wasn't too impressed. Something about it made me come back and listen to it more though and now I love it. So I gave Gloss Drop a chance and man, I'm really liking this!! I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm glad the vocals that are there are guest singers.

Archived