IGNORED

Battles - Gloss Drop

beariksson

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mirrored was really great. Those grooves in Tonto, especially are memorable and head boppin'. Tyondai's... contributions didn't ruin it for me or anything, it's more like I really enjoyed it in spite of that stuff. I hear some people saying that Gloss Drop proves how much they needed Tyondai, when I think it clearly proves he wasn't nearly as big of a loss as worried fans were thinking. My 2 cents.

Gloss Drop rocks.

John Stanier gives drummers a good name. The most powerful kitman I've heard since John Wright and Todd Trainer (although Bonzo will forever be king, naturally).

it's one of those albums that if you preview some tracks you get a good impression and get curious but when full listening to it it just doesn't make up... imo

you mean you only ever listen to music that jumps out at you upon first listen? there is a lot more variation to this album than you think. tbh i also thought it was a bit bland at first, then it kinda 'unlocked' after a few more listens.

i meant exactly the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally going to see 'em live in Paris next week along with Andrew Wathearal and Bibio !!! Fucking can't wait ! :music:

PS : Gloss Drop is killer, the more I listen to it the more I discover new details and layers in the sound...Pretty incredible.

wait guys, having not listened to this yet, is it more like their pre-mirrored EPs? Those releases were literally infinitely better than their first full-length.

I am gutted I slept on this because I have missed all their uk live dates.

No you haven't !!! :D

26 Cardiff, UK – *VENUE CHANGE*, Solus, Cardiff University → Buy Tickets

27 Birmingham, UK – HMV Institute → Buy Tickets

28 Bristol, UK – The Trinity Centre → Info/Tickets

SAVAGE!!! Though I live in London. I am sure patience will be rewarded. Thanks all the same Skipper.

Patience rewarded!

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/battlesforum.php

London gig Nov 21st

I have to admit their 'technical difficulties' ruined their set at Wireless. But at the same time I'd jump at the chance to see them live again in an instant. I envy you folk who have got this still to come.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

first listen not bad at all. the track with eye is the kinda thing i want to hear from them. reminds me of the incredible damo suzuki and sixtoo collab

not usually keen on having too many different vocalist on a record as it ruins the flow (unless you go over the top like gorillaz say)

great article in this months wire magazine with a really good cover

I was at Amoeba Records in LA today and, as it turned out, I was there 30 minutes prior to a free, live, in-store performance of Battles.

I thought long and hard about sticking around, but decided against it because I had some other shit to do.

I went home and watched the live web broadcast (available here now) while I did my shit and couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it.

I'm sorry. I've tried MANY times to get into them, but his band blows (except for the drummer). I'm glad I didn't waste my time standing on my sore heel to watch them live.

Helmet was way better.

I was at Amoeba Records in LA today and, as it turned out, I was there 30 minutes prior to a free, live, in-store performance of Battles.

I thought long and hard about sticking around, but decided against it because I had some other shit to do.

I went home and watched the live web broadcast (available here now) while I did my shit and couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it.

I'm sorry. I've tried MANY times to get into them, but his band blows (except for the drummer). I'm glad I didn't waste my time standing on my sore heel to watch them live.

Helmet was way better.

I don't think it's really fair to compare them to Helmet. What don't you like about them?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i think the drummer is the worst thing about them. as soon as he starts playing i know what band i'm listening too.

Helmet was way better.

I don't think it's really fair to compare them to Helmet. What don't you like about them?

Their music sounds terrible.

unlike this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSlXFoIAa88

Oh well that sure clears it up doesn't it. Thanks for alerting me to the fact that, despite me enjoying their music, it's universally, objectively terrible.

And again, I don't see why you're comparing them to Helmet? They're not a rock band.

Oh well that sure clears it up doesn't it. Thanks for alerting me to the fact that, despite me enjoying their music, it's universally, objectively terrible.

And again, I don't see why you're comparing them to Helmet? They're not a rock band.

They have the same drummer. Duh.

Stanier has played for more bands than just Helmet. Are you gonna compare Battles to The Mark of Cain, or Tomahawk, or Pitchshifter?

Guest Lucy Faringold

What don't you like about them?

Their music sounds terrible.

OSCAR WILDE IN DA HOUSE.

Archived