IGNORED

Mouse on Mars Official Thread Imaginary Subforum

vamos scorcho

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

pleased to report that "Chartnok" is one of their best tracks ever. the subtleties of the rhythmic shift are just astounding and another example of how Mouse on Mars is the best living group of musicians, to the extent that other groups honestly don't even register in my mind sometimes. it's like comparing cheddar cheese and a plastic replication

• 1 month later...

OK. I guess I need to listen to WOW now.

That's pretty embarassing to say, and I hope this doesn't hurt any cred I may have had around these parts, since I consider myself a pretty devoted MoM fan. Their music has deeply moved and affected me for years now. But something about WOW had me scared, and it's not that I didn't like Parastrophics (because I did). Actually I need to listen to Parastrophics more too; I listened to it a ton when it came out and then put it away for about 6 months. I just haven't really "made up my mind" about it yet.

I do have some "hero worship" for them. Which is kind of funny.

Lately though these old artists are all aging in ways that don't necessarly say, "well you suck now." Just that maybe it's time for someone else to take up the mantle. Frankly I think that's what Mouse on Mars are doing with these albums, suggesting to a new generation of producers a way to go. Or opening up options.

Still, I felt that way generally with WOW and to a lesser extent with Parastrophics. I don't think it's wrong to say that their golden years are behind them, but that doesn't change that they still make music that is utterly entertaining to listen to for myself. Maybe it doesn't have the objective, eternal quality that it used to, but it still remains peak level music. Nowadays it's more fun, I guess.

In terms of "late period work," I feel similarly about Oversteps... it's kind of... "aged," as in they're getting old, and they don't have the same "cock-driven" creative drive as they used to, or something...but they've already contributed so much to music at this point that you just sit back and listen to it, enjoy it on its own terms, and realize that it's still basically the best new thing you could be listening to.

As much as these new electronic artists bring to the table, such as Actress and Lukid or whoever you can mention (not many, huh)... they just don't have the same level of sophistication as something like Oversteps. They have little interest in making an endearing album. There aren't enough musicians, new ones, with cock-driven creativity, who are willing to make a true album. In the sense of Mr. Bungle California or something like that. And that's a pity. The idea of an "album" isn't just in how long it is... it's in the amount of devotion you put into it, the idea, concept, construction, melody, and so on.

As for "WOW" - it's best enjoyed on its own terms, as a jammy, not too serious EP. It's kind of like WOW doing a live album, similar to Just a Souvenir or something. A futuristic alien punk rock Boy band.

I agree re: cock-driven creativity. Personally, I got more enjoyment and artistic value out of Oversteps than Parastrophics, of course I've had longer to digest the former. But the comparison isn't unfair. When you've made something like Idiology, what remains to be done?

Certainly, in terms of the high-energy dance music that's being made these days, Parastrophics sits at or near the top. I'd probably rather be listening to pre-2012 Terror Danjah, though.

By the way, has anyone heard anything about a Paeanumnion release?

PS nice signature vamos

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope to see some NYC watmmers at the show tonight!

if you recognize me, please say hi!! always love making "new" friends. :biggrin:

also so we can take dumb photos for the pics thread

Ok I guess I'll stop being a fanboy but it rocked. I mean they'll always be a studio band but Andi and especially jan were having so much fun. Lot of stuff from wow which I don't know as well as parastrophics but it was great. Had a total blast but seriously fuck Brooklyn hipsters and fuck New York in general sometimes I was one of 5 people dancing or even moving in a filled room. Get the fuck over yourselves you dumb douchebags. This show was allll mad scientist beats and Andi and jan were moving and bopping like madmen. They would occasionally throw a glance out to the audience to check for reactions but then quickly turn away their smiles lessened. I tried hard to enhance my idm joe cocker impression but to no avail. /rant

It was awesome seeing two great musicians had fun and make me have fun too!

i was one of like 5 people raging when they played in canada. it was fun. i think there's a video of them berating the crowd somewhere on youtube. frankly i'm surprised they don't do it more often. "are you guys fucking hearing this?"

not berating (at all) but i did think i picked up a slight trace when they start telling people where to stand

3:30

funny

anyway, that's probably just my own mentality. in personal experience i've dealt with too many people who savor the flavor of Burial and all that boring bullshit but i really think its the name Mouse on Mars that makes the alarm in the hipster's reptile sector go off. that's fine.

Ok I guess I'll stop being a fanboy but it rocked. I mean they'll always be a studio band but Andi and especially jan were having so much fun. Lot of stuff from wow which I don't know as well as parastrophics but it was great. Had a total blast but seriously fuck Brooklyn hipsters and fuck New York in general sometimes I was one of 5 people dancing or even moving in a filled room. Get the fuck over yourselves you dumb douchebags. This show was allll mad scientist beats and Andi and jan were moving and bopping like madmen. They would occasionally throw a glance out to the audience to check for reactions but then quickly turn away their smiles lessened. I tried hard to enhance my idm joe cocker impression but to no avail. /rant

It was awesome seeing two great musicians had fun and make me have fun too!

what are you talking about studio band?! they are probably one of the best live electronic bands out there now.

not berating (at all) but i did think i picked up a slight trace when they start telling people where to stand

funny

That's hilarious. I really wish I hadn't pulled the old/weeknight card last month when they were in town. I saw them in 2004/2005, but shit it's been a long time and the show would have been drastically different. I bet the Seattle crowd would have prompted them to make similar comments.

funny

That's hilarious. I really wish I hadn't pulled the old/weeknight card last month when they were in town. I saw them in 2004/2005, but shit it's been a long time and the show would have been drastically different. I bet the Seattle crowd would have prompted them to make similar comments.

They did the same thing 2007 in Mannheim...the floor was half empty and they wanted everyone to be in the front raving their tits off. Which all of those ~50 people that came did.

Archived