IGNORED

Describe why you hate acid

acidphakist

the 303's sequencer suck's ass although I bet a few hit anthems were accidental

I think you'll find it doesn't suck.. in fact is one of the charms of the 303 itself. if you really study the 303 in depth (ie. not just how it looks/sounds/the history behind it ect;), its much more then a bassline machine. the whole Track write/bar select modes is so primitive yet (bar the 606) nothing else comes close to how awesome it is to programme full tracks with, not that many people do it this way anymore..also it can be used as a sequencer, to things which dont have pattern banks (101/mc202)

now. whilst the 303 is cool bit of gear..the 101 is just as good in my opinion, yet it gets looked over far too much. its a mainstay of all acid style/idm music since the 90's. but most people probably know this.

SH 101 is my second favourite synth sound.. matched up with the 303 = unbeatable.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like acid because it sounds very samey. You have a 16-bar loop, quarter notes, one octave, and those squelchy filters. When this is the -sole focus- of the track it's very boring. As a subsidary element I like it.

I fucking love ambient, minimal and dark acid etc, i don't think that type of music is dead at all. But the ravey, smileyface "fun" acid, along with happy hardcore and all the other rave music you need uppers to enjoy, is dead as can be. I don't know about the detroit old school acid, I never was in the 90s rave craze, I didn't get the music and today it just sounds really dated.

I like the characteristics of the sound itself, making the music all psychedelic and shit by modulating a repeating melodic line, but there's a million ways to do that, not just with a slightly echoing 303.

the 303's sequencer suck's ass although I bet a few hit anthems were accidental

I think you'll find it doesn't suck.. in fact is one of the charms of the 303 itself. if you really study the 303 in depth (ie. not just how it looks/sounds/the history behind it ect;), its much more then a bassline machine. the whole Track write/bar select modes is so primitive yet (bar the 606) nothing else comes close to how awesome it is to programme full tracks with, not that many people do it this way anymore..also it can be used as a sequencer, to things which dont have pattern banks (101/mc202)

now. whilst the 303 is cool bit of gear..the 101 is just as good in my opinion, yet it gets looked over far too much. its a mainstay of all acid style/idm music since the 90's. but most people probably know this.

as a note, gate, slide and accent sequencer the Future Retro sequencers pisses on it from a great hight as the standard data entry seems a little primitive when you can edit sequences on the fly

ideally a FR Orb/Mobius controlling a Devilfish 303 would be the muts nuts but you must have the patience of a Saint to program a whole song with the 303's sequencer but hat's off to you if you can do it

You have a 16-bar loop, quarter notes, one octave, and those squelchy filters. When this is the -sole focus- of the track it's very boring.

yeah agree

I know your initial question was to find out what you might be doing wrong in your own music C, but you should stop asking and just keep making quality music....

fuck what everyone else thinks!

Do what you love!

play out live, see how people react to what you do, fuck what watmm thinks....

play a goddamn rave and see how much everyone loves what you do....

Watmm is filled with a bunch of iconoclastic hipster douches that you don't need advice from anyhow(cept for EOD, I would listen to him), you know what you are doing, just keep doing it!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll admit I had a bit of a persecution complex around here, but BLOC weekend really fixed that.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone that pitched in here. There was almost no trolling and several thoughtful replies.

Guest Mathew Augustus

Just wanted to say this thread is a great read. Very thoughtful and informative replies.

Guest hahathhat

I've always felt the mixer was one of the weaker functions of the MP and have reserved all that for the DAW stage relying more on the sequencing/midi aspects though I would love to be enlightened if there is more than meets the eye here

oh, i completely agree there. it has a lot of outputs, which i mix by hand with my mixer. the MPC has a good utility set -- i can put on both a lowpass and a highpass + set the volume before it goes out to the mixer, at which point the board EQ finishes it up.

however, i find it visceral and exciting to compose midi and drum patterns on. it's a great machine if you think in loops.

i feel about it like i do about my ipod: it's very thoughtfully designed. it's simple enough you don't get lost in endlessly fiddling with crap like you do on the computer, but you can still get a lot done quickly

edit: some other not terribly important rambles:

- i like the recursive architecture of the thing. program inside a track, track inside a sequence, sequence inside a song, etc. it works like my brain does

- the track thing is a good workflow, once you get your head around it. bash out some stuff, start a new track. bash out more, then maybe mute the first one and do a third track with another version of the first track that more closely matches the second. fifteen tracks later, it sounds as polished as something i'd fiddle with all day on the computer.

- while it's not a computer, there are a shitload of features in there. it's a machine that really encourages you to abuse those features (be "cheeky" as a certain ginger might say) and that's really what i feel watmm would love about it !

why would i hate on something that is a form of art? an empty palette? hating would be counterproductive in terms of creating original ideas and gracefully transforming said 'palette' into a work of art.

Guest hahathhat

thread was a meek attempt to unleash a torrent of childish vitriol that backfired and trigged a constructive discussion. while this is disorienting, i wouldn't worry about it. it'll pass

Guest Lube Saibot

while i certainly don't hate acid (303-esque sounds are like pasta for me... i could go for some anytime of the day), i definitely feel like it needs to evolve and catch up with the times.

SMD's ADSR album was a step in the right direction, tiga is doing something right with tracks like Mind Dimension, vsnares as well... but overall too few names.

Also, outside of 303-based music, I'd love to hear some contemporary acid house. As in, not 90-style acid house revivalism that happens to have been made recently by some nostalgic producer, but audibly 2011 acid house.

...I should get my hands on a devilfish...

Guest hahathhat

if i were to approach acid, ideally... i would have a 303 modded to kingdom-come. devilfish, short circuits, modular patchbay, midi, etc. etc. to just stretch it out into little insane bits of edge wackiness never heard before. but i'd rather use that money to buy a new car

thread was a meek attempt to unleash a torrent of childish vitriol that backfired and trigged a constructive discussion. while this is disorienting, i wouldn't worry about it. it'll pass

Reply was the result of "reading" too much Jung and overstepping one's analytical and intellectual abilities. Unfortunately, this will NOT pass.

It was a poorly worded question.

Dear acidphakist,

Why are you unable to make music in peace, on your own, without the need for approval from a community of people you consistently argue with? Also, why don't you try making something besides acied? Surely it would not hurt you.

Regards,

Luke Viia

It was a poorly worded question.

Dear acidphakist,

Why are you unable to make music in peace, on your own, without the need for approval from a community of people you consistently argue with? Also, why don't you try making something besides acied? Surely it would not hurt you.

Regards,

Luke Viia

Dear Luke-

I was really excited to receive your letter in the mail today! However, my heart sunk when I opened it and read what you'd written. I was saddened to find some fundamental misunderstandings about me, why I write music and my sources of validation.

Seeing as I appreciate you as a pen pal, I would most certainly like to spend some time to allow you to get to know the real me. This is, of course, entirely up to you...it will take some effort and I know it can be enticing to simply retain one's first (and most easily grasped) ideation of a person.

I hope this letter cleared the water for you.

Yours in friendship,

The Acidphakist

Mr. Phakist --

My sincere apologies if I have misunderstood you. My last letter was only an attempt to gratify your marvelously endearing persecution complex, and I wish you the best. Hope the family is well. Everyone here says hello and hopes you are having a lovely Spring. Please send photos of your 303 and cello when you get a chance.

PS - I have just finished a lovely book by Carl Jung. He would have a lot to say about you; perhaps you should give his writings a try.

Best wishes,

Luke Viia

:wub:

Mr. Phakist --

My sincere apologies if I have misunderstood you. My last letter was only an attempt to gratify your marvelously endearing persecution complex, and I wish you the best. Hope the family is well. Everyone here says hello and hopes you are having a lovely Spring. Please send photos of your 303 and cello when you get a chance.

PS - I have just finished a lovely book by Carl Jung. He would have a lot to say about you; perhaps you should give his writings a try.

Best wishes,

Luke Viia

:wub:

Dear Luke-

I'm afraid my last letter may not have entirely cleared things up.

As a man who loves learning, please do explain this "persecution complex" in more detail. I'm dying to know more about myself as viewed by someone I have so much personal contact with on a daily basis!

Pictures of my darling tb-303 are forthcoming. I'm not sure why you assumed I have a cello!

Best,

The Acidphakist

old friend,

In general, here is the symptom of a "persecution complex" that you display (btw I borrowed that term from noise's earlier post in this thread, so I'm half-joking when I say you have it, but...):

"People or groups who hold to marginal (non-mainstream) beliefs or theories often display some features of this malady, as a way of explaining why their views are not more widespread."

Get it?

I could start a thread titled "Describe to me why you hate guitar music" or "Describe to me why you hate vocals in music" but the replies would mainly serve to encourage me that whatever I'm currently doing is largely disliked, and so it would make me feel that I'm alone in my enjoyment of those things (which is not true). If you had titled this thread "Describe what you love about acid" perhaps you wouldn't come across as looking for a reason to confirm your belief that people on WATMM hate acid (see your recent EKT posts to confirm those statements).

That's really all I can explain. It's breakfast time.

PS I don't really think you have a cello, I just know you're classically trained and was trying to re-encourage you to step outside the acieed box and write something else, because as you say in your first post here, you only know how to write acid.

Archived