IGNORED

What city do you live in ?

Lucas

Guest AcrossCanyons

Nottingham's pretty shit but I've lived here for all of my memorable life so I don't think I'd move without good reason.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacksonville, Florida, United States

Pros: beautiful country for the most part, the beaches are nice if you stay off of the main public access. Lots of woods to explore. some cool areas with cultural events going on and whatnot. cost of living is pretty low.

Cons: the city is full of religious zealots and rednecks, it's hot as fuck for 6-8 months out of the year, most of the city is one giant strip mall. most of the culture, mom and pop places, and arts scene are isolated to one part of town (which thankfully I am moving to in a couple of weeks)

I live in Brooklyn / work in Manhattan / frequent my girlfriend's place in West New York, NJ. I'll try and cover all three.

Brooklyn:

All politically-correct tiptoeing aside, I live in a black neighborhood. The "whitest" (or really, the only white) business in my neighborhood is "breukelen cellars", a winery where yuppies find solace. otherwise, there's a pretty quaint cafe, but beyond that, you've got bodegas, discount stores and the like. The neighborhood itself is nice enough, though the intersection at which I catch the subway is always littered with both people and trash. Yet at the same time, I'm paying $1k/mo for a step-down studio apartment in the neighborhood. Yikes.

Outside this neighborhood though, Brooklyn is definitely pretty eclectic, demographically speaking. The atmosphere of Brooklyn definitely hasn't reached the fevered pace of Manhattan, and I'm not sure if it ever quite will, thankfully enough. It's almost like the Philadelphia of New York. Food-wise, there are quite a number of great places in BK, though they seem to fall in one of two categories: "authentic" or "industrial rustic/catering to affluent yelpers and foodies". There's the obvious hipster explosion, although Williamsburg and other neighborhoods have reached yuppie/young upper middle class family status; at the same time though, those same parts of BK can be very inviting. No complaints on the music shops, either—Academy Annex, Permanent Records and Halcyon are all good go-to shops. Also, my GF and I recently went to Barcade, a combination of tons of on-tap beers and somewhere in the vicinity of 30 arcade games from the 1980s. Very sweet place.

Manhattan:

Clusterfuck that I still don't have a good handle on. Obviously a crazy nightlife, tons of food options depending on the neighborhood you frequent, shopping solutions is a non-issue, and almost universally safe based on the neighborhoods I've been at in night. There are obviously a lot of really interesting things going on in the city, from parks and installations to food trucks and the more left-field stores like Evolution or Obscura, speakeasy bars like Please Don't Tell, etc. The area between Times Square and Koreatown is kind of a total fucking headache, but worth experiencing both for the surreality and micro-immersion, respectively. St. Mark's Place is a college down main street, essentially, filled with tons of smoke shops, a record shop and comic book store, and an amazing number of Japanese restaurants. (try Kenka.) But it's pointless to try to fully explain Manhattan.

West New York, NJ:

Great getaway. My girlfriend lives in a complex of apartment buildings right on the Hudson River, giving us a full view of the NYC cityscape. The area is suburban in comparison, though much of River Road (on which she lives) is more businesses and apartment buildings rather than cul de sacs. Anyway, the area hosts a pretty substantial Japanese demographic, meaning we have a great Japanese grocery store, Mitsuwa, nearby. And the next town over, Fort Lee, has one of the biggest Korean populations in the east coast, rivaling the hell out of Queens. That means tons of great galbi/bulgogi restaurants and H Marts out the butt. Good family-raising location, without a doubt, and while it makes me pretty paranoid about smoking weed at her place, it's also easily the most soothing environment out of all three.

double post, but i'll use that for pix

subway stop near my apt (BK):

blobserver1.gif

where i work (NY):

IMG_0446.jpg

rough estimate of my girlfriend's view (NJ):

new-york-city-ny025.jpg

Lisbon, Portugal.

Was a fine city to live, work and leisure before half of Africa moved here in the 1997-2000's, they also built projects everywhere on the outskirts of Lisbon, now everywhere you go there's white-trash, gypsies, ghetto blacks and other scum nearby.

Guest Wall Bird

Boston

Relatively good public transit. People here like to moan about it, but after having been to several cities with little or no train or bus service I think Boston does better than most.

Better and better tolerance for cyclists, though some roads are still shit. The mayor recently appointed a new post; a so-called "bike czar" charged with making the city more accommodating. Coming in the next few months will be a system of "community" bikes that can be taken at will from one of many stations around the city for an annual fee.

Students. There is a seasonal population that coincides with the school semesters. The city loses a significant amount of people during the summer when most students return from whence they came. Boston has a shit-ton of universities. This has it's own series of benefits and downsides. On the plus-side you have a lot of bright, motivated, and neat people to meet (MIT comes to mind.) On the other hand, certain parts of town are overrun with freshmen who are away from home for the first time in their lives and have yet to learn discipline related to their substance(s) of choice. It's not unusual, in my part of town, for there to be hordes of shambling, shouting, obnoxious drunk students going past my window at all hours in search of an even bigger group to assimilate with. It is not surprising in the least to see multiple patches of vomit in the morning as I go to work, either.

As a result of the widespread public drunkenness, Boston has prohibitive liquor laws that make it illegal for stores to sell booze after 11 PM. Fuck that. If you look up at the clock to find that it's 10:55 you'd better pray to God that you've got some backup in the fridge. Otherwise you're fucked.

Lets see... Ah yes. The size. Boston is the perfect size for me. As a city, it offers all kinds of fun and distractions affiliated with places where people are so densely packed, but it still feels comfortable, unlike, say, New York, in which you've got to pay top dollar to live in a closet and everything is ridiculously condensed. And unlike New York, which is intimidatingly massive, I can bike from one end of the city to the other in forty minutes. Also, if you're willing to live a little ways out from the center you can snag a nice town house to live in which will afford you plenty of room to spread out. Lots of beautiful parks integrated into the layout as well as a gorgeous arboretum to the south.

The music scene is pretty rich but not very cohesive. There are a number of excellent music schools which generate some great musicians but there's simply not much of a scene of any kind to be found, seemingly due to the transient nature of college students and their tendency to not settle down in the city after graduation. Though, now that I think of it, the most well developed scenes are those that center around punk, underground and DIY music shows. Boston is great when it comes to that. There's a pretty good amount of noise music as well. Oh, and I can't forget the Boston Symphony Orchestra, which is always a great choice despite the fact that they're programming is very conservative and doesn't offer much in the way of contemporary classical stuff.

The cost of living is pretty expensive. I'd say it's comparable to Chicago; for those of us who have spent time there.

That's about it. Maybe I'll think of other things.

London, it's a bit crap and expensive (like my area though- crystal palace- it's like a little village on the top of a hill)

I've wanted to move to New York for quite some time now.

Do it. I believe everyone on earth should try living in NYC for a minimum of 2 years. I was there for 12 (the entire span of my 20s and change).

Olympia, WA.

it's a bit boring sometimes, and i get a little tired of the culture, but my current place is right on the edge of a temperate rainforest, so I can't really complain.

in a few weeks, my city will be Bloomington, IN for a couple months. looking forward to living there again. basically the same as olympia, but with frat boys, different climate, and a bit better ethnic food.

hamden, CT. little podunk town north of new haven. dunno what there is in new haven except lots of crime and good pizza. soon i'll be moving near princeton, NJ and i expect to be there for quite a while.

used to live in gaithersburg, MD and it was a crappy, suburb-like town with not much to do.

pittsburgh has been by far my favorite place i've lived. city is just the right size, with plenty to do and all that. nice scenery and decent seasons (all four of them, which i like). i'd love to move back some day.

hamden, CT. little podunk town north of new haven. dunno what there is in new haven except lots of crime and good pizza. soon i'll be moving near princeton, NJ and i expect to be there for quite a while.

pittsburgh has been by far my favorite place i've lived. city is just the right size, with plenty to do and all that. nice scenery and decent seasons (all four of them, which i like). i'd love to move back some day.

aw man, you are fucking spot on re: new haven pizza, and i've been in brooklyn for like, two years now. i never went to sally's or pepe's (only visited CT once, and drove through on a separate occasion), but my girlfriend took me to dayton pizzeria to get the white clam pie. goddamn, watmmers.

mini_18494.jpg

pizza redefined.

big on pittsburgh too—would always visit, primarily mckee's rocks, as my great aunt lives there. that area in particular has the most intriguing ghost town vibe, it's amazing. and downtown pittsburgh is pretty sweet as well.

Houston Texas pretty dull as fuck. One day it'll be freezing cold the next scorching hot, no consistency. Summers tend to be pretty hot and humid and we get some really great weather in January. I love rain and when it does rain in the summer over here it can be pretty epic. Huge loud bright pretty thunder bolts...

Its flat here... Pretty big population. Lots of Mexicans, African Americans, and Asians.

Mexicans can be seen cutting yards... African Americans at our fast food joints and Asians everywhere and anywhere.

You want beach we got Galveston and that shit is a cesspool.

Radio Play crap. Lots of Bad random Rap. Your cool if you listen to Kanye or Lady Gaga.

Lots of food in Texas Size portions. We could probably feed an army of homeless people with all the food we waste just here in Houston. I work at a restaurant so I know what I'm talking about.

Its ok I guess and shit isn't too expensive over here.

i will 2nd this account of Houston, while adding lame as fuck strip club laws, completely out of control deregulated electricity, hidden traffic cameras on light poles and on stop signs, and only 1 or 2 decent clubs that book electronic acts. at least there's lots of head shops.

Olympia, WA.

it's a bit boring sometimes, and i get a little tired of the culture, but my current place is right on the edge of a temperate rainforest, so I can't really complain.

in a few weeks, my city will be Bloomington, IN for a couple months. looking forward to living there again. basically the same as olympia, but with frat boys, different climate, and a bit better ethnic food.

:yeah:

Born and raised in Bloomington. You seriously won't find a better town under 100,000. Everyone is midwestern friendly as fuck, and it's been a liberal haven for the past 40 years because of the university. Food is for the most part pretty incredible for a town that size - our local organic grocery is more popular than the supermarkets, and it being Indiana, there are TONS of farmers around who want to sell their corn, fresh sausage, apple, etc. Interestingly enough the Dalai Lama's brother lived in Bloomington for over 50 years and as a result the town has TWO full-time buddhist monasteries and the second oldest Tibetan restaurant in the country. The Dalai Lama also comes here a lot. He calls Bloomington his American sanctuary. Richard Gere usually shows up too lol.

If you like jazz, world music, opera/classical then you're in luck. You will never find as many free concerts at an incredibly high level as you do in Bloomington because of the music school. (ranked 3rd in the world right now) Also there are tons of great alt show cause Secretly Canadian and plan-it-x records are based in Bloomington. IDM is nonexistent but whatever. It's almost nonexistent in the largest American cities anyway. Also in late September and October there is an INCREDIBLE world music festival that dominates the downtown area. They close off tons of streets and it's a huge party and there are incredible acts that are just making it. Usually two or three years later they become huge world music acts.

Living in Bloomington made me think that going to school in different small college town would be as good as life in Indiana. But living in Middletown, CT makes me appreciate all the awesome things that Bloomington has, and also realize how shitty Middletown is. Granted it's about 40,000 shy of Bloomington, but there is far less cultural activity. Due to the size of Indiana University, and it being a state school of 40,000, it's really integrated into the town. Wesleyan, a private school of about 2,700 is really isolated from Middletown proper. Us students live up on a hill and the townies live down by the river. As such, there are incredibly problematic socio-economic and cultural problems that were just not present in Bloomington. It really makes interactions with the town uncomfortable, which creates a further isolated atmosphere. I'm glad I'm only here for four years.

Luckily Middletown is an hour and a half away from NYC and 2 from Boston. My gf is at school in Boston so I've had a lot of time to explore that city. Such a manageable size with great transportation as Wall Bird said. There are some excellent musical offerings, and while I agree the BSO is really stultifyingly conservative, MIT puts on some incredible contemporary music shows, not to mention its Gamelan ensemble.

Currently I'm living on Nantucket, MA working on an organic farm. The work force on the island in the summer months is incredibly diverse. I work with Filipinos, Jamaicans, Ukrainians, Japanese, Brazilians and Bulgarians to name a few. Might not be that cool to people from London and NYC but to a kid from Indiana it's really refreshing. It's doubly refreshing because the ONLY people you're serving here are awful, rich WASPy scum. They are really terrible. When will rich white people learn that Topsiders will never, ever, ever look cool. Apart from the yuppies, Nantucket is amazing. The best beaches, incredible weather, incredible paychecks, and working on a farm gets you really fresh delicious food. For free.

edit: ganus when did you live in Bloomington? PM! How long will you be there?

I live in Kosice,

...second biggest city in Slovakia. I was born here too. I never went for more than a month away from here. I quite like it, it´s not a large city like New York or London, but yet not small as well. Many friends are moving away as soon as they can while saying that this city is nothing but a big village but I still love it.

Archived