IGNORED

plant cancer???

sup

Oh, no, it's parasitic marijuana. Try not to breathe it in - it'll germinate right in the lungs and everyone you make out with will fall into a peaceful daydream.

Guest fiznuthian

either

1) the plant is budding to produce seed

2) the plant just formed a symbiotic relationship with another beneficial organism i.e. mutualism

3) the plant is being parasitized by a competing organism (non-symbiosis)

4) the plant formed a neutral relationship with another organism, and neither necessary are benefiting from it

seeing how the tree/plant has no discoloration of leaves, the wood looks healthy, and growth does not appear to be harming the tree,

the most likely explanation is either #1, #2, or a bit less likely, #4

thank you must know your stuff on plants fiznuthin. this plant was like this at least 1 or 2 months could it "bud" for so long? and see the fuzzy stuffs like got converted from the leaf on the bottom like the leaf rotted into the fuzzy. i didnt touch it cuz i was afraid to getting cancer

Guest umop_apisdn

either

2) the plant just formed a symbiotic relationship with another beneficial organism i.e. mutualism

4) the plant formed a neutral relationship with another organism, and neither necessary are benefiting from it

To clarify, symbiosis can take several forms: commensalism (one organism benefits with a neutral effect on the other), mutualism (both organisms benefit), and parasitism (one organism benefits with a negative effect on the other). "Amensalism" is one that isn't described as often (negative effect on one organism with neutral effect on the other).

While I would not say that what you have in the photograph is cancer, I would say that it shares some sort of similarity in the concept of cancer by means of unregulated cell growth. As mentioned above, this may be due to some form of symbiosis. There may be some bacterium, fungus, or perhaps even invertebrate that has compromised the plant's growth or well-being that has yielded the result you see.

I have seen something similar in several pine trees. You have a tree that is normal by all means with exception of one branch that produces a wildly dense bunch of leaves. But the thing about cancer is the development and propagation of abnormal cells that don't follow the "rules" that other cells do in terms of growth and proliferation, often to the inhibition of the structure/function of other cells/tissues/functions.

either

To clarify, symbiosis can take several forms: commensalism (one organism benefits with a neutral effect on the other), mutualism (both organisms benefit), and parasitism (one organism benefits with a negative effect on the other). "Amensalism" is one that isn't described as often (negative effect on one organism with neutral effect on the other).

While I would not say that what you have in the photograph is cancer, I would say that it shares some sort of similarity in the concept of cancer by means of unregulated cell growth. As mentioned above, this may be due to some form of symbiosis. There may be some bacterium, fungus, or perhaps even invertebrate that has compromised the plant's growth or well-being that has yielded the result you see.

I have seen something similar in several pine trees. You have a tree that is normal by all means with exception of one branch that produces a wildly dense bunch of leaves. But the thing about cancer is the development and propagation of abnormal cells that don't follow the "rules" that other cells do in terms of growth and proliferation, often to the inhibition of the structure/function of other cells/tissues/functions.

Some gall-inducing insects can radically alter plant physiology (and the type of gall depends on the insect)-- usually it's some kind of growth at the meristem, but some little guys are able to force incredibly specialized and fascinating leaf structures. Of course, there are fungal and bacterial galls as well.

Galls are pretty fucking interesting, and sometimes seriously revolting in a body-horror kind of way.

Archived