IGNORED

What's the biggest thing you've ever killed, intentionally/unintentionally?

Guest KY

Living in NYC, I've killed several mice in traps and countless roaches. Other than that, I've caught a few fish, but nothing bigger than a perch or a crappie.

Once I hit a rabbit on my bike when I was a kid. It ran off, but I as afraid it was badly hurt.

When I was in high school, I lived in the basement for a spell. We had a hornet's nest down there and I would have friends over to help me swat down the hornets with ping pong paddles. It was actually kinda awesome.

My wife is the kind of person that will save a spider in a glass and let it go outside, but I'm of the mind that if there is something living in your house without paying rent (that isn't your offspring), it deserves to die.

I wonder how many cows have collectively given their lives for me in the form of steaks, burgers, beef hot dogs and such.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI (wiki answers)...

According to a recently released USDA agricultural report (2001-02), since an average steer produces 710 lbs of meat (from a grain-finished 1400 lb steer), the average amount of red meat ate by Americans in 2000 was 195 lbs. That's over a quarter of a steer per year per person, or 0.275 of a beef steer per person per year.

Now in a lifetime, that depends on how long a person lives to. Since the average life expectancy of an American is around 80, that means that that person would be able to eat 22 steers in a lifetime. But that's just average: there's always going to be discrepancies in meat consumption due to health and weight concerns, as well as reactions the economy and food safety. The range could be anywhere from 3 steers to 20, depending on the individual.

once won a goldfish from a fair....took it home and put it in the wrong type of water...it died....i took him out and buried him in the backyard. it was devastating.

Guest hahathhat

a fox, or something about that size, with my car. it was a dark road late at night, i was going 40 or 50, and there wasn't much i could do. but i still feel awful about it :(

it gets bigger if you count eating hamburgers as killing.

Guest hahathhat

there must be some interesting backstories here.

i have some good stories about mice.

one got loose inside the basement of the house. i knew it was in there, but there wasn't much i could do. i was watching a movie, and then... something. i looked up and saw the mouse on the stairs! i wasn't sure what to do. i was a tad drunk. so i yelled and charged at it! it deployed the first line of mouse defense, which is to stay still and hope it's not seen. but then when i grabbed at it, it dashed off -- but i had stopped it from going upstairs, where all the morsels were. mice like morsels, you see. i went back to my movie. a bit later, i started to hear chewing noises in closet beta. i opened it up to see a fucking hole in the wall of the closet, with the mouse presumably somewhere in it. fucker. i try about all i can think of -- spraying noxious chemicals into the hole, yelling. i even peed on the fucking wall, more out of pure frustration than logic. i got out my airsoft pellet gun, and continued watching my movie. it continued to taunt me by making chewy noises every couple of minutes, which was actually really annoying. then... something. i look up and it's by the door to closet alpha. i take aim, and hit!! SQUEAK! but alas, the plastic pellet was not lethal. it scurried under the door, into closet alpha. now, i was not about to let it chew another hole. the closet, unfortunately, is jammed with cardboard boxes. like, i went hardcore 3D tetris on it to pack as much as i could in there. but fuck it, i want this mouse's hide. so i start tearing the closet apart. i pick up my subwoofer's box, and... there it is! mouse realizes the jig is up and tries to make a last dash. i do the obvious and use the giant fucking box in my hands to bash it. raspberry jam leaks out from mouse. i clean mouse up, put boxes away, and finish my fucking movie.

Guest Ricky Downtown

I can't think of a time I killed something bigger than a spider, to be honest. At work today I drowned a fly in swish powerhouse washer, and felt very awful about it afterwards. Humans, #1 worst species...

I've been directly responsible for the mass slaughter of mussels on several occasions. Slightly bigger than the snails and i wanted them dead.

I can't think of a time I killed something bigger than a spider, to be honest. At work today I drowned a fly in swish powerhouse washer, and felt very awful about it afterwards. Humans, #1 worst species...

i'm with you—the mice i killed last night and this morning were my first larger-than-insect killings in my life. bummer. although...

one got loose inside the basement of the house. i knew it was in there, but there wasn't much i could do. i was watching a movie, and then... something. i looked up and saw the mouse on the stairs! i wasn't sure what to do. i was a tad drunk. so i yelled and charged at it! it deployed the first line of mouse defense, which is to stay still and hope it's not seen. but then when i grabbed at it, it dashed off -- but i had stopped it from going upstairs, where all the morsels were. mice like morsels, you see. i went back to my movie. a bit later, i started to hear chewing noises in closet beta. i opened it up to see a fucking hole in the wall of the closet, with the mouse presumably somewhere in it. fucker. i try about all i can think of -- spraying noxious chemicals into the hole, yelling. i even peed on the fucking wall, more out of pure frustration than logic. i got out my airsoft pellet gun, and continued watching my movie. it continued to taunt me by making chewy noises every couple of minutes, which was actually really annoying. then... something. i look up and it's by the door to closet alpha. i take aim, and hit!! SQUEAK! but alas, the plastic pellet was not lethal. it scurried under the door, into closet alpha. now, i was not about to let it chew another hole. the closet, unfortunately, is jammed with cardboard boxes. like, i went hardcore 3D tetris on it to pack as much as i could in there. but fuck it, i want this mouse's hide. so i start tearing the closet apart. i pick up my subwoofer's box, and... there it is! mouse realizes the jig is up and tries to make a last dash. i do the obvious and use the giant fucking box in my hands to bash it. raspberry jam leaks out from mouse. i clean mouse up, put boxes away, and finish my fucking movie.

based on this story alone, please accept my friend request

btw post/av combo of the decade

I ran over a raccoon.

I did this too. I'm pretty sure it committed suicide.

I also went turkey hunting when I was 12, and shot a turkey in the fucking face with a 12 gauge.

oh yeah, one time me and my friend were driving in his car...and he got on a backroad and revved it up...a bird got sucked underneath the car and I remember him laughing....I thought he was an asshole from that point on.

A while ago I killed a moth with a wingspan of about two inches. I sucked it up into my dustbuster, and kept it on until it had been ground to so much powder in the cylinder. I felt no guilt, fuck those mothy bastards, only wabbies deserve to suffer more.

When I read this I hear it in Bill Cosby's voice.

My brother and I were helping my mom pull weeds. He cut the leg off of a pretty big toad with a shovel. It was bleeding all over the place. We put it off to the side and neither of us felt like we could kill it. I don't think I had killed anything bigger than a centipede previous to this.

I felt awful that it was suffering, so I took it to a clear place, and smacked it several times with the broad side of a shovel as hard as I could. I was glad it didn't have to suffer, but I felt terrible. But some birds started eating what was left of it, so I felt like I at least fed some birds.

I do kill mosquitoes, ticks, and other harmful insects/arachnids without remorse. Sometimes I feel bad about killing house centipedes, but they're fuckers, so I get over it.

Wow, whoever posted that baby bunny with the hedge clippers one wins.

Edit: T35513R

When I read this I hear it in Bill Cosby's voice.

bahahaha i read it in his voice after seeing the comment :duckhunt:

Guest hahathhat

i'm with you—the mice i killed last night and this morning were my first larger-than-insect killings in my life. bummer. although...

based on this story alone, please accept my friend request

btw post/av combo of the decade

it's directly related!! shortly after this all happened, i torrented looney tunes, which i hadn't seen in years. the speedy/sylvester battles were cast in a new light.

Archived