IGNORED

let's discuss: fatboy slim

Alzado

I hadn't listened to anything by him since the late 90's, around the same time that i fell victim to the wanky pretensions of idm. but if you listen to his notable songs, the Rockefeller Skank, Gangster Trippin, Everybody Loves A Carnival, and his many remixes (especially Brimful of Asha and Don't Let The Man Get You Down), it's hard to reach any conclusion other than him being pretty awesome.

hate if you will. but dude is great with a sampler and turntable, makes kick ass beats, and didn't go vegan gay like Moby. I'm satisfied with that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

it's possible that none of you would be dealing with my watmm posts without ol' fatboy. in the beginning i mostly knew rock bands. i was intrigued by electronic music, but i never quite got off my ass until.... i heard "rockefella skank" on the radio. this was right when MP3s showed up, and i got some fatboy slim MP3s. then prodigy. then aphex......

fatboy slim may not have the intensity and massive construction of aphex, but he's good vibes all the way down. you could still play most of his tracks and get away with it. :smile:

Fatboy is fantastic. I really never liked The Rockafeller Skank, but Fucking in Heaven and many others are fantastic.

Gah, I'm too tired to figure out how to post youtube links with the new format, so here's a link to "The Weekend Starts Here".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2psRuwO0k

Edit: Oh Bitchin! It does it automatically. Anyways, I play this a lot after I get out of my last class of the week.

Never liked a single track of his. In fact I really hated - along with the rest of the bland funkless "bigbeat" scene rubbish - pretty much every track he ever made from day 1 (including the Beats International SOS band cover/murder) . Genuine Lowest Commom Denominator dancepop that takes formulaic to the nth degree. However - he's very good mates with someone I know and apparently a very very nice bloke. I have heard some multiLOL drug related anecdotes over the years and would dearly have loved to have been on the sesh with them years ago.

edit: also just read that he is partly responsible for Dr Hat being here

that's the problem with idm. it somehow tricked us into thinking that there's something wrong with being a party rocker. fuck that.

speak for yourself dude

moust of the proper idm style parties and gigs i've gone too have been (or got) pretty messy

back OT and with an okish third album and shite forth album you knew Mr Cook had had his day

his music defined that peak of the dance culture era and belongs there imho

it reminds me too much of back in the day whenever i hear it and because of that its something i'll never tend to reach for on the shelf anymore but its nice when you hear it out and about

just biked in to say that Brimful of Asha remix is one of the worst, most contrived, cringingly awful pieces of utter throwaway meaningless shit i've ever had the displeasure not to be able to avoid listening to.

Archived