IGNORED

Make me like Future Sound of London.

sergeantk

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Archives have some amazing gems, but yeah, not recommended for the beginner. I always considered them alternate forms or remixes of tracks that made it onto the proper albums.

Fucking love FSOL.

does anyone know where i can download the lifeforms cgi videos? i could rip them off youtube but they're bad quality.

there are some short form videos from their singles on iTunes, if u dare.

could you leave the lights alone, please?

stop flashing the fucking lights.

I have to credit FSOL for getting me into electronic music

I think I only started listening to them because of the sorta-remix of Sylvian/Fripp Darshan, and I was a teenage fripphead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE9ojoPfegk

Ahh, 1993/4

And from there quickly to Lifeforms.

Everything up to and including Dead Cities is wonderful. They're creative, hard-working and very influential individuals. Those ISDN radio shows they did in the 90's pretty much got me into electronic music.

Pulse State is their underrated gem imo. I hardly ever see it mentioned when discussing FSOL, but it's a fantastic tune.

Guest Intelligent dodgem music

From the Archives have some amazing gems, but yeah, not recommended for the beginner. I always considered them alternate forms or remixes of tracks that made it onto the proper albums.

Yeah I've been a bit raw in the last comment - I actually meant this. They're just compilations of stuff that mostly uses the same saples and sounds of their '90s works. Nothing bad because FSOL are fucking brilliant but not recommended either. I would recommend the extract Archived EP on vinyl tho because it's very good. http://www.discogs.c...P/master/330289

Anyway I must admit that I wouldn't probably feel the same about FSOL if I discovered them after being into braindance/experimental electronic music/etc. Their sound is not that hard to get, it orbits around pure ambient music and therefore can seem boring if you are used to complex drum programming and crazy IDM tricks. To use a metaphor I hate, their music talks more to the heart than to the brain.

Plus, their classics are now almost 20 years old. So if you have Venetian Snares-induced-ADHD you wouldn't be impressed by Lifeforms.

• 1 year later...

I can't stop listening to 'Her Face forms in Summertime' the atmosphere places me on another realm of existence and i happily drift around. Beautiful track!

I've had the Lifeforms and Dead Cities LP's dormant just after getting into BoC and realizing my love for Electronic music(i was a teenager Pink Floydian so i guess i was always destanied to get where i am now), while moving on to AfX and AE i've had my hands full.

gave Lifeforms a go years ago, but never really went on with it. I always would play 'Among Myselves' and thought it was powerful, but now its clicked, and so has Dead Cities. Judging by this thread i have a lot of catching up to do with FSOL.

using the search engine i assume this is the most reLevent FSOL thread

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread but ISDN is some brilliant shit. It's not perfect but it's mostly great and there are precious few albums that's true of. If you can't get into ISDN (or at least *learn* from it) I can't help you appreciate FSOL.

• 7 months later...

new interview with Gary for Lifeforms 20th anniversary.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt/334069?programid=4432

This was nice. The interview and the hosts talking about it. Damn, Lifeforms sure is a timeless classic. Every time I listen to it, it hits me at how great it is. Probably one of those desert island albums for me.

Archived