IGNORED

Bands/Music that sounds like "Wouldn't You Like to Be Free"

murve33

The Wouldn't You like to be free 55 second sample is one of my favorite songs of all time. Is there any other music out there that sounds like this song?

And don't just say something like "My Bloody Valentine", give me a specific song.

The youtube clip has nasty audio compared to the clip I have :[

Nice picks goiter, that Fear of Flying one is pretty close.

I haven't really heard anything like Wouldn't You Like to be Free. That part with the bass kicks going constantly at about 0:25 is so cool.

Joyrex, even if the album is non-existent (I want to believe, but I think over the years you've diminished my hope) that clip exists, and I would hope that the rest of the song exists. It does seem bizarre that BOC would make such a perfect song in their early days and then never develop the sound at all.

What I still don't get is why make up a bunch of albums, and then make 3 samples from some of the albums (two of which being good) and then never release them? To fuck with people? To make themselves appear to be more mysterious? To frustrate me?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the song exists - probably all the songs listed on those EPs exist in one form or another, but as for actually being on a pressed, released EP... nope.

I think BoC when they started out were more a traditional band before moving more towards the electronic end of the spectrum, and this song is an example of that. Then again, there's so precious little of it, it's hard to say - look at tracks like Trapped and We've Started Up - take a snippet of those and I doubt anyone would say those sound like BoC tracks.

There's quite a few guitar-based tracks on the Old Tunes, so I think it's as much a part of BoC's musical heritage as warbly detuned synths are.

Oh, alright then. Cool.

And I agree with your last paragraph.

Even though Wouldn't You Like to be Free is more traditional sounding, it is pretty magnificent in my opinion. For one, no one posted anything that sounds much like it besides Goiter.

• 5 years later...

Mega Necro Bump, but just listening through the old boc web stuff including the "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free" track and the chord progression just seemed really familiar. I flicked through every track I could think of and I'm pretty sure my brain was thinking:

So I wonder if this track from the Random 35 Tape is a newer (or older!) version of the track, or it's from the same era as Play By Numbers (and pure speculation timing wise is close to the track 'Numerator')

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you asked for a specific My Bloody Valentine song, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYtaqbNuPDg

Also reminds me a bit of Lush.

Yppah has that aggressive drum sound with shoegazey guitars, but with much more of a hip hop influence.

Not near as aggressive with the cymbals, but may want to check some of the more shoegazey Deerhunter stuff.

Maybe this as well, although everyone but me seem to hate this album

If OP is still looking after all these years

• 1 month later...

Anything off Morr Music from the early 00s probably worth listening to: Guitar in particular, Manual, Ulrich Schnauss, etc. Lot of crunchy drums, shoegaze influenced synths and guitars but from a bedroom pop/indietronica angle. They did a good Slowdive tribute comp that's a nice intro to the label. Didn't know this when the thread was first started.

Archived