IGNORED

Buying a new computer

zlemflolia

Is an i5 processor worth it over an i3

Consider a hypothetical scenario of running a moderate CPU usage java based online game, a 10-man skype call, iTunes converting the file format of many albums at once, and a virus scan running in the background

Could an i3 handle this

Would an i5 be worth it

Current specs:

MS Windows XP Professional SP2

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.66GHz

894MB RAM

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics card

Really starting to notice annoying lag with these specs. Looking to modernize and get Windows 7 etc with hopefully an i5-2500 processor

Looking to spend under $700

What is a good graphics card? Can I use my old graphics card on a new computer?

I don't know enough about to computers to decide.

Could I just buy more RAM upgrades and maybe a new processor (or can you even replace processors?)

Consider a hypothetical scenario of running a moderate CPU usage java based online game, a 10-man skype call, iTunes converting the file format of many albums at once, and a virus scan running in the background

That may be a bit much for an i3, which is only dual-core. Which java based online game?

What is a good graphics card? Can I use my old graphics card on a new computer

That ATI Radeon Xpress 200 is a PCI-E card? If so, it wouldn't be a problem.

Could I just buy more RAM upgrades and maybe a new processor (or can you even replace processors?)

You can but the processor you upgrade to has to fit the same socket. The Pentium D uses a LGA 775 which is compatible up to the Intel Core 2 generation. You can't fit an i5 or i3 on your current motherboard.

You have very few RAM right now so that could make a significant difference. But the Pentium D is pretty old so it might still feel sluggish while multitasking.

You can get a rig with something like a AMD Phenom II X64 965 and 4-8GB DDR3 RAM for your budget. You can probably get a better processor if you keep your current GPU.

Guest disparaissant

http://www.newegg.co...k=aspire%205552

i got dat

only it has a bigger hard drive

and it was just under 400 bones on sale

only complaint is that the headphones jack is super super fragile

otherwise its great for the price

it can certainly do what you want it to

currently watching netflix with 12 tabs open, a 118mb psd with like 45,000 text layers on it, torrenting at max speed, a 200 meg pdf open, and 4 instances of word.

Guest disparaissant

actually the processor i got (phenom x4 n970) rates right with the i5 mobile offerings

sucks batteries down like nothin though

Well i just a couple months ago upgraded from a p4 to a c2d and notice a huge difference. I think the i3 would be plenty fast, even some of the amd equivalents might be great too. Just throw that fucking pentium d in the garbage when you do though

Well i just a couple months ago upgraded from a p4 to a c2d and notice a huge difference. I think the i3 would be plenty fast, even some of the amd equivalents might be great too. Just throw that fucking pentium d in the garbage when you do though

Everyone says pentium is crap

Why tho.

Mines 2.66GHz and the i3 is like 2.8-3.1

What's the difference?

Guest viscosity

just upgraded to an Athlon II X4 640, + 4GB of DDR3 ram and a Radeon HD 6870

'puter's hard disk needs a good scrubbin' but it's nice an speedy again

Why tho.

What's the difference?

The amount of cores in the processor. The new chips have some extra cores which come in mighty handy when multitasking/hyperthreading. The amount of GHz has not been relevant since the release of multicore processors.

What kind of money do you want to spend?

I have the i3 2100, it's quite fast and for me it's perfect but I wouldn't recommend it for serious multi-tasking, it's better to get a true 4 core processor for that like the i5 2400. I don't know how heavy Skype is but every task you mentioned the i3 wouldn't have any issue running them all at the same time, the problem is the built in HD2000 graphics chip, it's quite weak, specially if you're running Aero. I plan on upgrading to the new Ivy Bridge processors that should come out next year.

Compare some benchs to get a better idea:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=363

Why tho.

What's the difference?

it's not all about the clock speed you know...there are many other factors that determine how "fast" your computer is. the i3 and i5 processors can process much more data at once than the old generation pentiums through multithreading and the like, but still run at the same clock rate.

[youtubehd]l2-UuIEOcss[/youtubehd]

this is a good site to compare theoretical performance differences between processors: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

so, pick a cpu, then build a system around it. look for a mobo/ram/cpu bundle on newegg.com.

on the other hand, cpus don't mean much anymore. get a couple cores, something released in the last 2 years, and you're good. they're all fast enough. what matters much more is having 4 gigs of ram and an ssd. running out of ram and hitting a slow hard drive are the things that cause, real, perceptible lag.

you can build an amazing PC for under $700. Easily. check out http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc it is a good resource I think and you can usually post builds there I think and get feedback. Or check out 4chan.org/g/ (technology board) which people post builds all the time and people critique them, but watch out for trolls, it is 4chan.

I'm going to agree with everyone who has suggested building your own. It's relatively easy, and you get much better warranties. If one part fails, you just send back that specific part, not the whole system.

you can build an amazing PC for under $700. Easily. check out http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc it is a good resource I think and you can usually post builds there I think and get feedback. Or check out 4chan.org/g/ (technology board) which people post builds all the time and people critique them, but watch out for trolls, it is 4chan.

Yeah, /g/ can actually be quite helpful when they're not telling you to install Gentoo. Reddit is a safer bet, though.

Archived