IGNORED

post-dubstep?

ghOsty

I was inspired by a question jules raised in the "Dubstep is now a meme" thread...

dub step questions:

how long before there is a genre called post dub step or post step?

And I got to thinking...

There's already certain artists I feel are kinda moving towards a sound i'd call somewhat post-dubstep. And I could be completely wrong in categorizing this as such, and perhaps have my genres confused based on a certain sound I hear in common between them. But I've noticed simillar aesthetics in work by artists like Babe Rainbow, Loops Haunt, Late, Shlohmo, oOoOO, Balam Acab, etc... What I mean is there is the shuffles and 2steps, but instead of the wobbles so much it seems to push emphasis on the atmosphere and deep depths, the washed out vocals and heavy reverbs, rather than wobbles and filth (though still there in subtler ways,) even slowing down the tempo slightly. Creating an even darker atmosphere and feel. Embracing negative space and ambience in the sound rather than wall of noise filth. I've been really enjoying these aesthetics myself lately.

These tracks are good examples of what I mean...

Babe Rainbow - Care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX2rJdCokNM

Spiders - Spiders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9cO5BmJ7vw

Loops Haunt - Huarache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKAV3VN0pk

Late - Phantom Papers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS52AKvj8M0

Any thoughts?

Nobody has any idea what to call this stuff, but we had a thread about future garage which sounds pretty similar. -> http://forum.watmm.com/topic/69432-future-garage/

This video is what first made me aware of something called dubstep, someone shared it on a house music forum.

So naturally I thought all dubstep was sparse, rumbly and deep, and it sounded cool, but I was more in to house at the time and didn't bother listening any further. Then 4 years later I see huge dubstep threads in computer gaming forums and other places, so I think "fucking sweet, a non-shit genre has become popular, how often does that happen" - I click on the thread then I see posts with "skrillex latest video" etc. and I think "wow, this stuff is now so popular there are professional music videos for it, I love that! Maybe this will be the IDM of the 2010's". 20 seconds in to the Skrillex video, my reaction is:

wtf-is-this-shit.jpg

i wouldnt confuse post dubstep with glitch hop like alot of the artists mentioned fall into

ATP a couple of weeks back DJ Spinn & DJ Rashad wrre playing some very fresh sounding two-step tunes which was a lot more bouncable than your regular ploddy dubstep although the music itself was a little undeveloped i could see it catching on in a big way

either way the dubstep wave has crashed into the mainstream of what was normally the townie r&b masses

its time to look for something better

Guest nene multiple assgasms

tl;dr but the word "post-dubstep" has been flung around music review sites for quite a long time now

the term "future garage" has been around awhile too, as evidenced by this mix cd:

http://www.discogs.com/J-Da-Flex-vs-Oris-Jay-Sleazenation-Soundclash-Volume-01-Future-Garage/release/928922

the music on it is very early dubstep.

Guest Backson

tl;dr but the word "post-dubstep" has been flung around music review sites for quite a long time now

came here to post this.

indie sites love this term. some hipster i know was trying to start a post dubstep band about a year ago.

These new genre names suck, it should be generally electronic and that's it, then you focus more on the music instead of names, genres, and other bullshit...

Totally. I think music sucked a lot less when there weren't all these shards of genres littered all over the blargosphere. Seems like lots of people think of music the way they think of drugs now, as if one artist were interchangeable with the other as long as they were genre-equivalent. Of course that's kind of true for some things, like certain strands of house, but it seems to me that's a result of the genre fragmentation, not a cause of it.

i wouldnt confuse post dubstep with glitch hop like alot of the artists mentioned fall into

Some of them do make glitch-hop yes, but I think in some of the works by these artists like the tracks I posted, the hip-hop is less prevalent and falls into this different aesthetic

ghosty, you seem to be describing dubstep, or at least a variety of it that's been around as long as digital mystikz. as diverse as the scene was early on, I don't know why people feel the need to coin terms for sub-genres now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pBI2GSJrY

Yeah you may be right, people do seem to forget that the wobbles originally weren't exactly the staple of the genre. I love the more atmospheric and darker stuff like Burial, Clubroot, Dusk & Blackdown, etc. It's just in those artists the "dubstep sound" is still really prevalent where as this aesthetic I'm noticing in the newer artists seems to have taken that side of dubstep and pushed it just a little further into something else slightly slower and even darker. I wish more dubstep continued to go in this direction as the "Brostep" sound gets tiresome really quickly, and the whole scene itself has become rather stale. It's the artists that are still experimenting with the darker more actually dubby sounds that I wish would get more attention... or perhaps I don't as the sound becoming mainstream is what lead us to Skrillex and Korn-step type stuff in the first place... I don't know.

I suppose there really isn't a necessity to label the music so specifically anyway, but when it seems to be differing than the other aesthetics within the same category I'd suggest that at that point they have become something different and are two different things (Brostep vs the sound I'm describing)... I'm not real big into all these specific sub-genre names that have been emerging either, but when comparing it to sounds that get lumped into the same category it's nice to be able to call the different sound something specifically.

yea i hate genre names too. i am finding them to be a meme of themselves. it is so ridiculous. witch house, future garage, wat?

I'm still not entirely sure what exactly constitutes future garage (part of the problem with these specific subgenres I suppose)... some I've heard is really house-ish and some is really glitch-hop sounding?

I don't see what blogs naming things has to do with music sucking?

(Music doesn't suck nowadays)

I didn't mean that all new music suck nowadays, I love many new releases categorized as 'dubstep/post-dubstep/whatever'...

I stopped paying attention to that genre names when some of my favorite artists create now really diversified tracks that have nothing to do with those '-step' names.

yea i hate genre names too. i am finding them to be a meme of themselves. it is so ridiculous. witch house, future garage, wat?
I'm still not entirely sure what exactly constitutes future garage (part of the problem with these specific subgenres I suppose)... some I've heard is really house-ish and some is really glitch-hop sounding?

I think you can categorise every "woodblock" track as "future garage" that was released in 2010s. :cisfor:

I was in love with dubstep when there was actual dub in it, when it actually seemed to be more about updating the dub paradigm in a way that fit nicely in that aesthetic (cavernous reverb, chunky dirty snares, severed reggae vocals, murky sub-bass), than about who has the wibbliest wobbles. I didn't know people were still making stuff like that.

I was in love with dubstep when there was actual dub in it, when it actually seemed to be more about updating the dub paradigm in a way that fit nicely in that aesthetic (cavernous reverb, chunky dirty snares, severed reggae vocals, murky sub-bass), than about who has the wibbliest wobbles.

This, I love me deep bass, dub, dub techno, etc. and for a while there was enough interesting stuff going on in the "UK bass" scene(s). Still don't get the peepants over burial though, sounds like he makes the same track over & over again.

Also, whenever I hear the term "garage" I immediately think of a bunch of teenage wankers hacking away at their respective instruments in their parents carport, though I guess this is called "lo-fi" nowadays :cisfor:

Also, whenever I hear the term "garage" I immediately think of a bunch of teenage wankers hacking away at their respective instruments in their parents carport, though I guess this is called "lo-fi" nowadays :cisfor:

But you did hear about the UK garage electronic dance music in the late 90s, didn't you?

Archived