thegaslampkiller.jpg

Well i made a search and there very few about this guy on watmm! Not even a major thread, so here it goes!

What do watmmer's think of him? My troubled mind EP is short and unsatisfying, but most of his remixes are great. I love his Death Gate EP (especially Shattering Inner Journeys) and Helll And The Lake Of Fire Are Waiting For you (I never get tired of it).

his schtick was cool for about 2 years and now he juist seems like a guy smashing watermelons being racist (gallager reference)

Wtf dude, how is he racist? He's on brainfeeder, do you know who runs it, do you know how etnicly diverse is it? I don't understand the need to label/condemn everything...

Oh that title explains why i didnt find it on search, lol.... anyway, i like the finders keepers stuff, thanks to gaslamp i got to know alot of artists and i actually bought some albuns from the FK online store.

I doubted of his talent when i knew little about him

but i cant question his artists value after i listen to these productions from him

He's the reason the Gonjasufi album was so great. I can't wait for more stuff from the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Ol1vIBSCs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iyDQQb2ses&feature=related

Love it

oh yeah and he produced the gonjasufi album... thats enough

he's alright—a lot of his shit is very sampling-the-whole-finders-keepers-catalog kind of production for me. it's almost like break-heavy trip-hop for 2011. hit or miss.

agreed. he makes a great dj (low end theory parties in la are great), but his production method basically consists of looping the minute and a half of music with no dialogue from turkish, hungarian and polish prog-rock; adding some noise filters and calling it a day. i don't dislike him, but i wouldn't call him a music producer. also, out of the entire brainfeeder roaster, he's probably the only interesting person.

his schtick was cool for about 2 years and now he juist seems like a guy smashing watermelons being racist (gallager reference)

Wtf dude, how is he racist? He's on brainfeeder, do you know who runs it, do you know how etnicly diverse is it? I don't understand the need to label/condemn everything...

i was making a sarcastic statement referring to his post peak period as being like the comedian gallager, i do not think the gaslamp killer is a racist. he's more like a fascist of epic proportions

he's alright—a lot of his shit is very sampling-the-whole-finders-keepers-catalog kind of production for me. it's almost like break-heavy trip-hop for 2011. hit or miss.

agreed. he makes a great dj (low end theory parties in la are great), but his production method basically consists of looping the minute and a half of music with no dialogue from turkish, hungarian and polish prog-rock; adding some noise filters and calling it a day. i don't dislike him, but i wouldn't call him a music producer. also, out of the entire brainfeeder roaster, he's probably the only interesting person.

Oh my god.

Oh my god

also, out of the entire brainfeeder roaster, he's probably the only interesting person.

lol, i kind of agree.

i like his eps, death gate especially

Death Gate I enjoyed for a short while. The few bits he's done with Gonjasufi have been good.

I must say I detested him live though. Maybe detest is a harsh word but he did play a lot of wobbly throw-away shit that just didn't fit.

agreed. he makes a great dj (low end theory parties in la are great), but his production method basically consists of looping the minute and a half of music with no dialogue from turkish, hungarian and polish prog-rock; adding some noise filters and calling it a day. i don't dislike him, but i wouldn't call him a music producer.

this more than the roster roaster part, I the productions of Strangeloop, Lorn, and Matthewdavid a lot more interesting in general than the rest of the bunch (and btw I'm a big fan of Brainfeeder in general)

just to chime in: i think thundercat is, by far, the most inherently interesting/talented musician/songwriter on brainfeeder. there are a lot of awesome musicians on the label, but aside from flying lotus, thundercat absolutely takes the cake. have yet to hear martyn, though.

Dr Strangeloops approaching the epoch EP is the best thing i've heard off brainfeeder, probably because it's the farthest thing away from wonky or hip hop that they've ever done, and its actually really unique and doesnt sound like Flylo

I'm grateful to him because i got to discover alot of artists because of his mixes and i mean alot really... I think his amazing good taste should count

I think many of us like him as a DJ, and that's cool that one of his sets lead you to a ton of music, I love when that happens, def counts for something

Dr Strangeloops approaching the epoch EP is the best thing i've heard off brainfeeder, probably because it's the farthest thing away from wonky or hip hop that they've ever done, and its actually really unique and doesnt sound like Flylo

I love wonky funky hip hop

you make it sound like its a bad thing

I do too, but Awepittance has a point, it became a feedback loop, (if I disliked it I'd call it a circle jerk) within the Brainfeeder. That's my casual observation anyway. Strangeloop and imo Lorn weren't part of the overly wonky and blunted out beats the rest of the crew were putting out. I love Flylo, but I became a bit burned out with him (and I was listening to him way back in 2006) party because of that. Another example is Ras G - great producer, but the Sun Ra shtick gets kinda old. Those kind of producers I have to leave alone for a bit before I listen to them again.

I love wonky funky hip hop

you make it sound like its a bad thing

i just prefer unique music as opposed to people who make music that sounds indistinguishable from flying lotus

Maybe you shoul've ask for some new ears this christmas because brainfeeder is one of the most diverse labels around these days. They have alot of diferent artists, the only ones that sound similar are samyan teebs and lorn, flying lotus is very distinct from them. Maybe you're just a hater because that statement isnt close to reality in any way.

Archived