IGNORED

calix's ragequit

BCM

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the labels might have been netlabels?

i never understood why being on a label necessarily means you are performing at a certain caliber anyways.

he has some nice tunes but afx?

Oh man, I closed it because he asked me to and I didn't read any of the posts. But now that I've read the posts and I am so reopening that shit for sure!

flol

Guest ex-voto

hey guys, I was wondering, I am making this track and I was going to send it to some huge brand to see if they like the idea.

I am also singing the logo's name in it, which might alarm some bells... Dunno though, should I still send this? The track is amazing and really wiould fit their market strategy

hey guys, I was wondering, I am making this track and I was going to send it to some huge brand to see if they like the idea.

I am also singing the logo's name in it, which might alarm some bells... Dunno though, should I still send this? The track is amazing and really wiould fit their market strategy

Are you singing about me? I'm going to sue your shit!

I didn't think his tracks were terrible or anything, but I'M INSANE & CHANNELLING THE SONG OF SATAN is not the angle you want to play when you're just setting up to lay down some wobbly nostalgia techno.

i don't think it's the angle you want to take to get picked up by a world conglomerate main stream sports apparel company either

From what I gather, it's legal to use a trademarked brand name as long as the song title or lyrics do not generate any "confusion" as to whether the song represents the company itself that owns the trademark to the name.

However, there is also this:

Proving dilution of a mark:

Under the Dilution Act, famous marks are protected against the dilution of the distinctive nature of the mark. There is no need to prove a likelihood of confusion, nor is there any need to show competition between the goods of the plaintiff and the defendant. Therefore, it is possible to use a dilution cause of action against users of the same mark even when the defendant's goods and services bears no relation to the goods or services of the famous mark.

Dilution causes of action are normally brought when the defendant's use of the mark causes either

• "Blurring", by which the connection in consumers' minds between the plaintiff's mark and the plaintiff's goods or services is weakened; or
  • "Tarnishment", which means that the defendant's use is unsavory or unwholesome, or the mark is used in connection with inferior products.

However, the Act makes clear that certain actions will not be subject to the provisions of the Act. Specifically, the Act states that fair use (such as comparative advertising), noncommercial use (such as noncommercial web pages), and all forms of news reporting and news commentary (which would apparently include reporting and commentary appearing on the Internet) would not constitute dilution under the Act.

A couple of interesting links about this:

http://audioforum83468.yuku.com/topic/702 (about Aqua's "Barbie Girl")

http://songswithabrand.name/

http://brandsandfilms.com/2011/05/interview-piotr-slusarski-and-gladys-santiago-of-songs-with-a-brand-name/

From what I gather, it's legal to use a trademarked brand name as long as the song title or lyrics do not generate any "confusion" as to whether the song represents the company itself that owns the trademark to the name.

However, there is also this:

Proving dilution of a mark:

Under the Dilution Act, famous marks are protected against the dilution of the distinctive nature of the mark. There is no need to prove a likelihood of confusion, nor is there any need to show competition between the goods of the plaintiff and the defendant. Therefore, it is possible to use a dilution cause of action against users of the same mark even when the defendant's goods and services bears no relation to the goods or services of the famous mark.

Dilution causes of action are normally brought when the defendant's use of the mark causes either

• "Blurring", by which the connection in consumers' minds between the plaintiff's mark and the plaintiff's goods or services is weakened; or
  • "Tarnishment", which means that the defendant's use is unsavory or unwholesome, or the mark is used in connection with inferior products.

However, the Act makes clear that certain actions will not be subject to the provisions of the Act. Specifically, the Act states that fair use (such as comparative advertising), noncommercial use (such as noncommercial web pages), and all forms of news reporting and news commentary (which would apparently include reporting and commentary appearing on the Internet) would not constitute dilution under the Act.

A couple of interesting links about this:

http://audioforum834...u.com/topic/702 (about Aqua's "Barbie Girl")

http://songswithabrand.name/

http://brandsandfilm...h-a-brand-name/

Wasn't this why Panasonic (as in Mika Vainio and Ilpo Väisänen) changed their name to Pan Sonic ?

*waaahhaaatmmm, oooo waahhaaatmmm*

Seriously, though, what's the answer? Is that legal?

encey, watch the ride, prikface ex-voto is a jurist

*waaahhaaatmmm, oooo waahhaaatmmm*

Seriously, though, what's the answer? Is that legal?

encey, watch the ride, prikface ex-voto is a jurist

What does 'watch the ride, prikface' mean?

(wispy as in light and airy, not as in Wisp-y)

I was gonna say!

he's already turned down Le Coq Sportif and Donnay though.

Patrick sent an A&R man to his latest gig in JJB

i hear Le Shark are also interested.

Archived