IGNORED

Clark - "Iradelphic"

Guest Adam

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Tooth Moves is awesome!! I was a bit pre-occupied on first listen... must have totally missed it! :emotawesomepm9:

YES, the first three songs are easily the best on this album. tooth move is the true standout, with com touch being a close second. the rest are good but nothing extraordinary. it's a pleasant cd, but in some ways i'm glad it's not what i expected. the singing just doesn't really mix well with the music though, especially that the scatty, not-really-words vocal crap in pining pt. 2.

Maybe all the crazy is coming on a soon-to-be-released EP :D

That would be swell.

the singing just doesn't really mix well with the music though, especially that the scatty, not-really-words vocal crap in pining pt. 2.

I forgot about the vocals in my mini-review actually. Probably because I was preparing dinner while listening, so even though I heard vocals on a few tracks I didn't pay that much attention. Definitely one the most different aspects about the album, we'll see how that pans out. Bibio was singing on one track, was he not?

as for the serious talk : this album represents imo a very cohesive and logical move. It shows Clark can be even more versatile. I don't know Bibio that much but I don't see the similarity, seriously ; if you have some examples post'em here so we can talk about it. Yeah there are less beats, but is Clark supposed to make Growls Garden over and over ? The atmosphere of the album in overall is in my opinion extremely strong. Sensual dark sweetness. Unfortunately it's damn too short.

Totems Flare was very fast and sometimes harsh, and it had the particularity of bringing a lot of extremely good moments, then to break them quickly. It's really a tricky album in the way it surprises you / frustrates you / bangs your head / makes love to your ears in a short amount of time.

I deeply appreciate Iradelphic in the way it's more laid back but still very deep. For me it shows that Clark still have a lot to make us hear. I believe he'll keep experimenting in the future and will provide a lot of original "new" Clark sounds !

Guest AcrossCanyons
Bibio was singing on one track, was he not?

Bibio wasn't involved what-so-ever in the making of this album. He had this to say on the album:

"There’s a few pieces of misinformation spreading about saying I helped Clark with his album Iradelphic, what prompted this blog was the Clash review of Iradelphic, which states I had helped out on the album. This information is not true, Chris and I have undoubtedly influenced each other over the years we’ve known each other (and even before then), but we have not appeared on each other’s albums… not yet anyway, maybe one day. We did a load of field recordings and some experimental ambient/drone stuff together in Wales last summer, but so far none of this has been used in either of our releases or any joint release. I believe Chris mentioned our collaboration in Wales in a press release and this has got out and has been misquoted, so it seems a few people have jumped to conclusions that I worked with him on his new album. Chris is a very talented individual, associated predominantly with electronic music (or the dreaded IDM tag) but is in fact a very naturally gifted multi-instrumentalist. He played all of the guitar, piano, harpsichord and drums etc. on his own album, he learned guitar by himself and learned quicker than anyone I’ve ever known. He is not just an electronic musician, and I think this new album is a testament to that. I just wanted to clear the air and hopefully this gets out and he has the full credit he deserves.

And as for the album itself - I think it’s a masterpiece."

I don't know Bibio that much but I don't see the similarity, seriously ; if you have some examples post'em here so we can talk about it.

I do know Bibio, and Iradelphic sounds nothing like him. Throw some guitars into IDM and suddenly everybody thinks it's Bibio.

I do know Bibio, and Iradelphic sounds nothing like him. Throw some guitars into IDM and suddenly everybody thinks it's Bibio.

That's exactly why I'm asking for some examples. I won't agree with the comparison till I hear any true similarity other than just a guitar + electronic sounds.

'He is not JUST an electronic musician.'

When do you ever hear that being said of virtuoso guitar players or modern classical composers? 'He's not just a guitar player - he does real music, too!' But I'm not getting at Bibio here, because his post was otherwise pleasant. Just reveals the funny way electronic music is still looked at.

Guest AcrossCanyons

When do you ever hear that being said of virtuoso guitar players or modern classical composers? 'He's not just a guitar player - he does real music, too!' But I'm not getting at Bibio here, because his post was otherwise pleasant. Just reveals the funny way electronic music is still looked at.

I don't think it's meant that way - I think Bibio was saying he doesn't have to just release electronic IDM breakbeat hardstyle wobble music, he can delve into less electronic territory and people shouldn't expect him to just release electronic music.

I don't think it's meant that way - I think Bibio was saying he doesn't have to just release electronic IDM breakbeat hardstyle wobble music, he can delve into less electronic territory and people shouldn't expect him to just release electronic music.

You're right, actually. I don't think he meant what I suggested he meant all. Was an unfair snap judgement.

I read that (wrongly) into it because it can sometimes seem like instrumental electronic music is portrayed by unimaginative musicians/journalists and your average joe as a step in the process towards 'proper' stuff, however. :-)

I seem to gravitate towards albums that upset the apple cart. The more you lot moan about it, the more interesting it becomes for me, so I look forward to Iradelphic with keen ears.

I deeply appreciate Iradelphic in the way it's more laid back but still very deep. For me it shows that Clark still have a lot to make us hear. I believe he'll keep experimenting in the future and will provide a lot of original "new" Clark sounds !

Well said and this is how I feel too.

Bibio was singing on one track, was he not?

Bibio wasn't involved what-so-ever in the making of this album. He had this to say on the album:

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know that I would have brought up any comparisons or assumed he was singing on one of the tracks had it not been brought up by several people when the album first leaked. There is some folktronica guitar and vocals that are similar to some Bibio songs on some tracks, leading to the comparisons. By no means does the entire album sound like Bibio, nor the individual tracks. They just bring him to mind. I'm not going to pollute the thread with samples of his music, taking it off course and planting those thoughts into more people's minds. Plus I currently don't have the time to sample different tracks to find the best example.

So we can just leave it at "they have influenced each other over the years" as Bibio himself said.

I listened to the album again on the bus this morning and it felt even shorter. Guess I'll have to just keep it on repeat. :wink:

i will say this is growing immensely on me. i just love how he pushes himself so much and i appreciate what he was going for here. honestly i think if he releases an "regular" clark ep, this album will be even better. it kind of needs a companion piece but it really does stand on its own, if that makes any sense.

i do like the vocals a lot, but i loved them on totems flare as well.

in short, keep doing what you do clark, it is fucking awesome.

anyone think com touch and tooth moves should be spliced together? or have maybe started out as one track and have been split apart into 2? the melodies and movement on these tracks are just sublime.

i thought the same with open and secret... like he took the chorus out of open and formed secret with it. man i love the topley bird jazzy bap-bap-bop vocal thingy in secret. i had to play it again 3 times in a row and blast it in my car, had me singing along!

anyway i'm loving it after only 2 plays on the way to work. i agree it drops flow with ghosted and black stone... i could do without ghosted being there at all but i still like the minimal piano calm of black stone a lot.

I wonder why so much of you don't like Ghosted. It's a good weird track for me. And for some reason I strongly enjoy the voices at the end of the track.

Archived