IGNORED

Clark - "Iradelphic"

Guest Adam

http://soundcloud.com/edifice/clark-secret-its-a-secret-edit

In case anyone cares, looped out and slightly modified a section of Secret. Fat Clark for da freestylin..

Btw I think this is a very mature album. Clark put his musical cock away and just made some solid, extremely well taken care of tunes. Sure it doesnt bang like some of his releases but do you really need more of the same? Put his whole discog on shuffle and you will see this is an essential representation of some of Clarks personality. Im quite glad he has stepped away from the slammin. It was starting to get old after turning dragon and all the eps. Then Totems flare which is nothing but alright to me compared to his ability. I felt the same thing happened with ISAM. People wanted something from these guys they just werent gonna give.

It's not that It doesnt bang, its just that it hasnt got it all....

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest illfly mandog

http://soundcloud.com/edifice/clark-secret-its-a-secret-edit

In case anyone cares, looped out and slightly modified a section of Secret. Fat Clark for da freestylin..

Btw I think this is a very mature album. Clark put his musical cock away and just made some solid, extremely well taken care of tunes. Sure it doesnt bang like some of his releases but do you really need more of the same? Put his whole discog on shuffle and you will see this is an essential representation of some of Clarks personality. Im quite glad he has stepped away from the slammin. It was starting to get old after turning dragon and all the eps. Then Totems flare which is nothing but alright to me compared to his ability. I felt the same thing happened with ISAM. People wanted something from these guys they just werent gonna give.

It's not that It doesnt bang, its just that it hasnt got it all....

What kind of things do you think its missing? I will admit there are moments when im not 100% pleased but I am quite pleased with a look into a new side of the man.

I'm still confused as th whether I really like this or if I don't. it's very strange in that I just keep flip flopping.

one thing is for sure though, I don't like the flow of the album. the pacing seems very off to me which is surprising because I usually find that is one of Clark's strong suits.

I can see why people would say it's "another side to him"....but really....it's something bibio and boards were doing 6/7 years ago. Seriously, the friendship between Clark and Bibio has been pretty visible in their press material, and 2/3rds of this new record sounds like it's a Bibio record. To the extent that Bibio had to actually go online and clarify that he didn't play on the album. He reuses a lot of really well worn devices and motifs as well, like the backwards guitars in the last minute of tooth moves. I loved that kinda thing on Geogaddi, but on that there was actually a good bit of thought put in to what they were reversing, the way Bibio and the like keep reusing as if it's genuinely that interesting drives me nuts.

Each to his own, if you get a good buzz out of the album, more power to you, maybe i'll stick it on again in the future and hear it differently, but at the moment i find it a really disappointing release.

yeah, and it's not the BIG BEATS that we're looking for either. com touch is undoubtedly the best track on the album, and there are few beats, (and the ones that are there are stale and lame) Secret just sounds like a later zero 7 outtake. and not in a good way. he really had to go to norway and australia to record sleigh bells and bums and dums?

It lacks urgency, it sort of meanders along with no real direction. Several tracks seem like sketches to me. It's clark in a morning robe and flip flops. It's not terrible though, it's competently made. I just don't find it very interesting.

It lacks urgency, it sort of meanders along with no real direction. Several tracks seem like sketches to me. It's clark in a morning robe and flip flops. It's not terrible though, it's competently made. I just don't find it very interesting.

i am finding this to be true more and more. it just doesn't grab me like everything he has done before did. if there was more stuff like com touch, i would love it. some of the stuff just has very little going on so the main parts to focus on seem to fall flat.

i do completely respect his balls and moving in a totally new direction, not to mention learning all of these new instruments and what not. it might be a personal milestone for him, as well it should be, but it just doesn't translate to be very interesting music to me. i still have it on rotation though and i have not given up on it. i do love about half of it, which is not saying much since that is about 13 minutes of music.

I don't know if it's the consensus on this album, but a lot of people seem to really dislike it or not like it compared to any of his other albums. I've seen others say it sounds too far off from a lot of his other work, but I'm not hearing that. It's still much louder than most other albums I have (it's mixed loud, especially when the first track suddenly turns way up) and it's still distinctly Clark sounding. The way the hits are and the melodic tracks Ghosted and Black Stone are very reminiscent similar tracks from previous albums' tracks devoid of pads.

I'm finding this to be a really nice album so far on my first listen, but I'm not all the way through it. The progression reminds me a bit of Totems Flare, just less lighter. It's a very pleasant listen.

I love black stone, tooth moves, com touch, open and some of the pining. it just doesn't feel cohesive to me at all. I'm not discarding it though and I'm still exploring it. I love Clark too much to just dismiss this entire thing.

but if I had to rank his albums this would be last right now.

Not to be a pedant but they're actually called Telltale - That's a clip from the ol' skool kids show 'Rainbow' (that particular ep. being from the year 1972)

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to this album a number of times in a number of different circumstances/states of mind/levels of consciousness/inebriation and have liked it every time.

Secret is one of my favorite Clark tracks ever. To each his own... Some people will like it because it has what they were looking for, others won't for the opposite reason I guess.

Guest Backson

NME did a really strange review of this album.

Chris Clark is currently like the favourite uncle of the Warp family. It’s easy to imagine him lovingly telling HudMo and Rustie to turn down their heavy, maximalist dance a bit, and at the upcoming Bloc Weekender he’ll go home to read about quantum mechanics instead of getting ROFLcoptered until 6am.

Not even mad about this, just kind of weird the way they think of him. Its also makes it blatantly clear that they wouldn't know who he was if it weren't for the promo CD on their desk with a big warp logo printed on it, and the existence of wikipedia.

i know i may be a bit late, & nobody's that interested anymore, but i got this album a couple of days ago & have to say i'm deeply disappointed. i don't think it's a bad album at all, but- as someone said before: it lacks urgency, or even energy, it's too subdued for my tastes at least.

i don't think what clark took with this album is really a new direction, i think it's him making a big step backwards. all the elements that are there are recognizable as typically clark, but much less elaborate, twisted, radical! the drum patterns aren't over the top anymore, but all too simple & transparent - what someone described as lacking something to sink your teeth in it! although the production is ace, it sounds like he hadn't mastered all of these elements of his style yet. or worse, like someone without his talent imitating them.

a sad eye-opener for me was looking up martina topley in discogs where it immediately says:

"Vocalist best known for working with Tricky." & i thought yeah, sure, that makes sense.

for me it seems like apparat has gone through a rather parallel development: once everyone seemed to agree he had finally matured as a musician the magic was gone for me. maybe i'm too radical in my opinions, but i like my music to be cutting edge, & this isn't it.

as an end note, i still think my criticism is kind of inadequate, & i do not have the right to tell anybody what kind of music they should make. it's rather my need for mental hygiene that drove me to write this rant. thank you for your understanding.

I just find it funny how this was forgotten so quickly. I know there are some serious clark fans: Jules, Deepex.. they've been pretty quiet. I mean the album is fine. It's just fine. No one is calling this a masterpiece. Because it isn't.

Archived