IGNORED

Dave Grohl Grammys Speech

david

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't mean to imply this, but did nevertheless imply, that using a computer = striving to create a perfect, 'absolutely correct' performance. But you could strive for that without a computer, by recording tons and tons of takes.

Doing your guitar/bass/drum whatever take 1000 times to get it perfect and making sure everything is timed perfectly to a click track isn't exactly that interesting either. You lose the human feel of the music, which for band type music, is important to me.

Regardless of how you make your music I think that's a big deal.

Would you say that Glenn Gould's music is not interesting?

i love it when average intellect celebs pat themselves on the back for saying something 'wise' to an audience of yes men

it's one of the most fun parts of the auto fellatio fest that is the grammy, academy award or golden globes ceremonies

When musicians who don't seem 100% moonman complain about computers ruining music, I assume they're talking about abuse of pitch correction, brickwall mastering, really clean digital recordings, etc, & not about synthesizer music.

It's kinda like they're the modern day KKK & they're all like, "yeah we have no problem with all you computer folk, but GO BACK TO ELECTRONICAFRICA WHERE YOU BELONG

Foo Fighters are just awful though, really really really really really bad.

Seriously how can you criticize anything when you run foo fighters? I mean he cant even criticize skrillex at that point...

drummers have always been afraid of technology. they were crying foul over drum machines. i hate his speech. production is an art. composing a great melody and sequencing a synth is an art. mixing is an art. opening a can of sardines can be an art. oh wait...no seriously. i dont like his mentality. it invites narrow thinking about music about what can be appreciated. some people just dont care enough about the details of how things are made so they will never really appreciate aphex or even a good old prince album. what about Brian Eno? Can't like him now? Too much fiddling in the studio? I appreciate the ideas behind music. Its not all about performance!

Guys, I don't think he was making a blanket statement about using electronics/computers in music. His point was directed at rock bands who edit everything into perfection/autotune the vocals rather than get a good take, etc. I thought this was pretty obvious...

Nothing worse than some old fucking geezer going on about how superior music was back in his day, and how all modern music is shit.

Fuck off you cunt!

Not sure who's worse though, Rollins for writing such obvious-heard-a-million-times-before shit, or the dumb fucking cunts just sitting there lapping it up and nodding their heads in agreement. Cunts the lot of them lol

i know he made tons of great songs and makes people happy, he's probably an honest cool guy

but i can't help thinking he's the baby swimming after the dollar

i'm just glad there are still people that shut their mouth and just make music

hi maximus mischief

I thought Rollins was cool????

When he was in Black Flag maybe. Once he garnered some acceptance in the modern world, both through his "acting" and that song "Liar", his ego swelled to the point where it suffocated his brain.

Grohl is and always will be a rock god, even if he makes sub par Foos records now.

but he's only a "Rock God" because he was in Nirvana. and he was only the drummer.

if he wasn't in Nirvana, nobody would give a shit about him! and he probably never would have started up Foo Fighters,

which, again, people only bought into because he was in Nirvana... and the first album sounded pretty much like Nirvana.

great great drummer, but shit shit song writer... unless Kurt was singing/playing something he'd written.

he's a "bonehead", as Kurt called him. and i agree.

but having said that, i'd still buy him a beer and have a beer with him. :) (but only 'cos he was in Nirvana!)

edit: Foo Fighters, i've not really followed since their first album. they went too heavy and 'metally' for me.

and i don't really like Dave's voice. or that guy Taylor, who looks like a cross-bred dog that's been punched in the face, in a Kurt Cobain wig.

Guest MortstoX

Sirch: Of course Nirvana gave him a good start for his career, but he is still the leader of a band that´s been making critically aclaimed albums, a shitload of hits and been touring arenas around the world for almost 20 years now.

Seriously how can you criticize anything when you run foo fighters? I mean he cant even criticize skrillex at that point...

Oh, the stupidity...

drummers have always been afraid of technology. they were crying foul over drum machines. i hate his speech. production is an art. composing a great melody and sequencing a synth is an art. mixing is an art. opening a can of sardines can be an art. oh wait...no seriously. i dont like his mentality. it invites narrow thinking about music about what can be appreciated. some people just dont care enough about the details of how things are made so they will never really appreciate aphex or even a good old prince album. what about Brian Eno? Can't like him now? Too much fiddling in the studio? I appreciate the ideas behind music. Its not all about performance!

good points! i completely agree.

found Steve's post about Burial

Fuck this music. Fuck the culture that makes it, commodifies it, mythologizes the mouse-clickers that hack it together, and uses it to supplant tangible culture. Fuck everything about this.

that whole thread about Burial (25 pages long) on the Electrical Audio forums is full of this shite

rockers gonna rock

yeah, seriously!

and i thought (used to) Albini was really cool and much more open minded, tolerant, artistic, and capable, than that!

but, shit!

all these old rockers don't have a clue anymore.

they're Dinosaurs and should STFU, go away, retire somewhere and work on their Alcoholism.

Fuck rock!

Archived