IGNORED

Dave Grohl Grammys Speech

david

Sirch: Of course Nirvana gave him a good start for his career, but he is still the leader of a band that´s been making critically aclaimed albums, a shitload of hits and been touring arenas around the world for almost 20 years now.

doesn't matter (to me). their music's still shite!

i will always respect him as a drummer, because he's bloody brilliant. but not as the frontman of the Foo's.

their music just got worse and worse and worse, (as Dave's ego got bigger and bigger and bigger?) imho.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure who's worse though, Rollins for writing such obvious-heard-a-million-times-before shit, or the dumb fucking cunts just sitting there lapping it up and nodding their heads in agreement.

It actually looked to me like a lot of his audience members felt awkward because they were into (or made) the music he was slandering. There was one guy in particular who looked like he wanted to crawl into a corner. But yeah, he's always been an asshole for as long as I've ever seen interviews with him. He does some good points and insights about a lot of things, but when it comes to things he's not a part of he usually comes off as pretty ignorant (and old). ...but I do feel similarly about a lot of electronic music, it just seemed like he was completely naive to a whole other world of electronic music and had never heard something creative done with record spinning/sampling... which is pretty fucking out of touch. And Steve Albini seems to fall into the same category, unfortunately, because otherwise he's almost always on point.

I haven't really paid much attention to this thread but my philosophy is that recorded music should be as fucking perfect as you can get it, in terms of production. I'm not just talking clean sound, but if it takes autotune/drum replacement/thousands of guitar takes/edits to get the point across, then so be it. If I want to hear a raw sound, I'll go see the band live or listen to a live album. Recording an album is the one chance to make something sound as polished as possible.

I thought Rollins was cool????

When he was in Black Flag maybe. Once he garnered some acceptance in the modern world, both through his "acting" and that song "Liar", his ego swelled to the point where it suffocated his brain.

i actually like rollins spoken word stuff over the years, but I really can't deny his sense of self importance.

If I want to hear a raw sound, I'll go see the band live or listen to a live album. Recording an album is the one chance to make something sound as polished as possible.

I think I get the point you're making but some people wanna convey a raw idea but can't do it in front of a crowd of people for whatever reason.

If I want to hear a raw sound, I'll go see the band live or listen to a live album. Recording an album is the one chance to make something sound as polished as possible.

I think I get the point you're making but some people wanna convey a raw idea but can't do it in front of a crowd of people for whatever reason.

this is true. but still, and i never thought i'd say it, but Steve Albini, and especially Dave Grohl, are retarded all the way to 11.

Wow Dave Grohl... Just take your grammy and sit down lol. Like anyone who watches the grammies gives a shit about how music is made or integrity anymore, I realized this as a young buck when Creed won a grammy... I heard that new Foo Fighters CD and was surprised he had just said 'fuck it' to singing for the entire album and did his angry-man semi-scream thing most the time.

And TBH, where does he get off saying that with the fact that he doesn't produce his bands music and has upwards of 5+months to make records in the studio... which all sound the same.

Blaaaaccckkk birrrrrdddd faaaaaaiiiilllllll.

i know he made tons of great songs and makes people happy, he's probably an honest cool guy

but i can't help thinking he's the baby swimming after the dollar

i'm just glad there are still people that shut their mouth and just make music

hi maximus mischief

no connection found :wacko:

good post ooze, agreed

i know he made tons of great songs and makes people happy, he's probably an honest cool guy

hi maximus mischief

good post ooze, agreed

cannot compute.

Not sure who's worse though, Rollins for writing such obvious-heard-a-million-times-before shit, or the dumb fucking cunts just sitting there lapping it up and nodding their heads in agreement.

It actually looked to me like a lot of his audience members felt awkward because they were into (or made) the music he was slandering. There was one guy in particular who looked like he wanted to crawl into a corner. But yeah, he's always been an asshole for as long as I've ever seen interviews with him. He does some good points and insights about a lot of things, but when it comes to things he's not a part of he usually comes off as pretty ignorant (and old). ...but I do feel similarly about a lot of electronic music, it just seemed like he was completely naive to a whole other world of electronic music and had never heard something creative done with record spinning/sampling... which is pretty fucking out of touch. And Steve Albini seems to fall into the same category, unfortunately, because otherwise he's almost always on point.

I think Albini, as opinionated of a stubborn old musician as he is, trumps Rollins when it comes to music commentary. I couldn't read more than 4-5 pages of that thread (which is new to me) as it is getting late, but it's clear he likes to at least discuss music he doesn't care for or understand. I've seen Albini talk about sampling in Copyright Criminals and say it's flat out easier and weaker artistically. Somehow I knew he was kinda being taking out of context and sure enough the video below confirms that. After all, he doesn't rant about how he hates that music, or dismiss hip-hop or electronic music (he's done a discussion panel with RZA after all). In fact, instead of doing lame angry comedy spoken word bits ignorantly dissing entire subcultures, he seems to embrace discussing and debating. Rollins, at least in this clip, seems to be channeling the energy of a snarky, polarizing youtube troll comment. He's spoken word never has appealed to me, I've always listened to Jello Biafra's stuff instead, it's a lot more thought-provoking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHlcGgrXLF8

hi maximus mischief

good post ooze, agreed

cannot compute.

predictable, as it's clear that your computer is virus infected as it is.

Guest kokeboka

Steve Albini is a good producer but he's one of those engineers that is so purist he'll call you a sell-out if you're not recording to tape or if you need to overdub anything. This works well for some bands because it brings out an element of rawness and no BS to a record - I think it suited Nirvana, The Auteurs and his own band Shellac. You may argue that rawness like that is the absence of what a producer should be doing; I personally think less production is a production philosophy nevertheless. Also, big kudos should go out to him for making his studio and services accessible to most any rock band with a decent budget - other big name producers and studios charge twice as much and reserve the right to turn your band down.

I was big on Nirvana, I liked Grohl for what he brought to the band. He also seems like a fun guy to be around. I don't like his music though, and I did listen to FF first 2 albums closely. I still think he was talking about overproducing rock music in his grammys speach, but if he was talking about electronic music (or does so at FF gigs), who cares? No-one with half a brain will stop listening to a music genre because Dave Grohl commands it. People will still be messing around with synths long after his music stops selling, so all he's doing is making a few 15 year old fanboys a bit more narrow-minded than they already are.

Guest Backson

I haven't really paid much attention to this thread but my philosophy is that recorded music should be as fucking perfect as you can get it, in terms of production. I'm not just talking clean sound, but if it takes autotune/drum replacement/thousands of guitar takes/edits to get the point across, then so be it. If I want to hear a raw sound, I'll go see the band live or listen to a live album. Recording an album is the one chance to make something sound as polished as possible.

you just described everything I hate about rock music.

production should be an artform as varied and diverse as any other, not just a talented underpaid nobody cleaning up shitty performances from a collection squabbling man children with inflated egos.

I'd rather listen to lightly pitch corrected vocals and slightly edited drums than Foo Fighter's brickwall mastering crap any day, if "authentic" rock is what I'm lusting for.

Yeah. If I wanted 'authentic' rock I'd go and buy a Credence Clearwater Revival album or an early Neil Young and Crazy Horse album. Not a load of fucking mainstream-dad-wank-rock by the Foo Fighters. Hahah, I'm on a 'authentic liquid lunch. So excuse me lol.

Hey Dave I'm gonna ram my Steinvord 12" down your Monkey Boy throat. How d'ya feel about that you bearded cunt!!!

Lol

Guest Backson

I'd rather listen to lightly pitch corrected vocals and slightly edited drums than Foo Fighter's brickwall mastering crap any day, if "authentic" rock is what I'm lusting for.

but why would you value musicians that sing out of tune or play out of time?

i don't say this aggressively, the only "rock" music i listen to is insanely lax when it comes to timing and pitch, but that's what i like about it. why would you want to listen to people perform if you don't enjoy the way they perform?

i just do not fucking understand rock fans. They want egos and stupid costumes, they want "meaningful" songwriting, they want photoshoots of four "authentic" dudes holding instruments and hanging out, but the one thing they can't even stomach is hearing what four dudes in a room playing sound like. if its about perfection then fuck the façade, have a bunch of people come together and make the best album they can with a variety of instruments and musicians, editing, mixing and whatever and stop pretending its just four guys hanging out in a room and jamming. Isn't that what electronic music is, studio fuckery without pretending the the guy who plays the guitar is a genius?

and i thought (used to) Albini was really cool and much more open minded, tolerant, artistic, and capable, than that!

I always thought he was anything but tolerant, even since his Big Black and Rapeman days. Still my favourite producer by a mile though whatever his opinions, nobody makes drums sound like he does.

EDIT: I couldn't even be arsed to watch all of that Henry Rollins video, I imagine I haven't missed anything by never paying him any attention.

A lot of 'rock' fans I know are really fucking cool guys, sound as a pound (a bit like Dave) but they do not 'get' IDM at all. It's another language to them, and a lot of them will never get it. Thankfully I get both realms. I don't always want some hairy ape shouting his mouth off at me, sometimes I want music from outerspace or music where you paint pictures with your imagination. Enter IDM.

I think if Monkey Boy Dave sat down with BoC or AFX and they went through the process to create a track he would probably have a very different opinion. But he's too busy swigging on a beer, on his motorcycle, strumming his guitar with his cowboy hat.

but why would you value musicians that sing out of tune or play out of time?

I'm unsure what you mean, but I love lots of haphazardly performed music. I'm only saying I think brickwall mastering ruins music more than studio performance trickery.

i like Albini's live big room real reverb sound. that to me is really his sound. you can hear the rooms. Digital effects are a minimum. I love his recordings. Its all technical. He is really an engineer not a producer.

Archived