IGNORED

Google to sell Augmented Reality Glasses in 2012.

chaosmachine

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rambo

it depends how attached you are to the status quo. This represents quite a big shitft imo. We wont be going back without major catastrophe.

This concept sorta depresses me & I don't know why

me too. maybe becuase it will very likely not increase anyone's quality of life. Chances are, this is an elaborate vehicle for adspace and just one more way for meaningless marketing to maintain even more of our attention (in the name of technological progress).

This concept sorta depresses me & I don't know why

me too. maybe becuase it will very likely not increase anyone's quality of life. Chances are, this is an elaborate vehicle for adspace and just one more way for meaningless marketing to maintain even more of our attention (in the name of technological progress).

I disagree with the adspace accusations. Google are a lot smarter than the rest first off.

second off, nobody is going to buy this shit in 2012 or whenever if it has ads. I honestly think ads are on their way out, or close to it. people (basically) universally fucking despise advertising, including I'm sure advertisers. there will need to be a shift in that realm. at the very least, we know that the iPad doesn't have ads all over it so I don't see why people are saying that these things will have ads, especially when they're probably going to be very expensive.

that said, fuck these things. the reason they make me depressed is because I don't really like talking to people that much, dislike telephones, have never used video chat by choice (and hope I never will), and just basically am an introvert all around. i feel like this kind of bullshit favors extroverts too much. i feel like the fact that I don't want to skype, don't want a blackberry, and don't like posting things on Facebook has the effect of making me even more of an outsider.

I think we might head into a time where people like me will form a group against this sort of thing, intrusion into every aspect of life. we need fucking peace and quite now and then, the internet is bad enough as it is. it just seems like that can't possibly win out though, and this is going to keep growing. I know these aren't original thoughts, but I'm drunk, not well educated, and would honestly like some good material philosophical or sociological with regards to the internet and more advanced understandings of its implications for society. LO!L!L!L!L!L!L!L

"computer: show me everyone in this crowd who's interested in aphex twin" and anyone with a public profile tag for "idm" starts glowing orange...

that's hilarious

Guest RadarJammer

These gadgets could probably be the biggest technological flop in history while simultaneously making the guys behind google the first zillionaire's ever. Cheap garbage that you can charge a fortune for. Selling a vision of the future to a new generation of impatient dreamers..

glass_photos.jpg

cynicism is an artform. it's not meant to harm, just meant to approach the realms those wide eyed retards called pseudo-optimists are incapble of approaching.

just kidding, obviously. optimist till death, and beyond

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/drome/the_final_corporate_colonisation_of_the_unconscious/

"age of the retina"

something of a musical rarity, sounding awesome right now.

Imagine seeing that guy on the street talking to his glasses about everything.... I'm sure he would be even more annoying than people constantly talking to their bluetooths. I hope this never gets popular in a mainstream way.

I could see this being useful for lab technicians and doctors and that sort of thing. But so that you can video chat with someone at all times instead of enjoying one moment of not-doing-anything...seems strange and depressing. I guess doing nothing or any kind of introspection isn't very marketable....

Imagine seeing that guy on the street talking to his glasses about everything.... I'm sure he would be even more annoying than people constantly talking to their bluetooths. I hope this never gets popular in a mainstream way.

I could see this being useful for lab technicians and doctors and that sort of thing. But so that you can video chat with someone at all times instead of enjoying one moment of not-doing-anything...seems strange and depressing. I guess doing nothing or any kind of introspection isn't very marketable....

i hope you realize that we have all this technology now in smart phones and that these glasses will just make it more convenient and hands-free. i don't think smart phones have caused the destruction of introspection in our society.

i don't get your opinion. i don't see what's depressing about new technology and new ways to communicate and use the internet to enhance our lives.

What scares me is how it seems to further limit interactions between humans in a physical sense.

i hope you realize that we have all this technology now in smart phones and that these glasses will just make it more convenient and hands-free. i don't think smart phones have caused the destruction of introspection in our society.

i don't get your opinion. i don't see what's depressing about new technology and new ways to communicate and use the internet to enhance our lives.

Ah yes, things like this certainly already exist. But that doesn't mean more of it will be a good thing. I already feel like we have too many means to anxiously distract ourselves. Smart phones are not the sole cause of a lack of introspection, but they are symptomatic of a trend that seems to falsely equate the exchange of information and meaningful communication/interchange between fellow human beings. Hence, why I don't think they are "enchancing" our lives. I certainly can see the allure of it though, from a technological standpoint. But not all technological advances mean a betterment of our lives.

i don't see how it would limit physical interactions between people.

Well in the vid he didn't even have to ask someone where the music section is, he just asked his glasses. That and he just video messaged his female friend there. I just fear that it may isolate us from each other in the physical world. Not that it should happen and I hope not but it seems like it holds potential too.

Perhaps "limit" isn't the word I would use, but things like texting and videochatting have done the strange thing of making themselves seem somehow equivalent to face-to-face interaction. Now just becuase I am posting on a messageboard or texting a friend, doesn't mean it literally prevents me from going outside and talking to people in person. But when people feel that sort of need for social iteraction and emotional catharsis being slightly and temporarily alleviated by what seems like it, then you have alot of people turning to these froms of communication that are not truly equivalent. At that point I think you can say that there is a correspondence between the increase in people living in their smartphones and a decrease in meaningful communication with other people.

But I could be wrong! Who knows, I could see myself using them to get around a new area, then putting them away whenever I found what I was looking for. Like many products, I wouldn't worry about their effect as much if people were more critical and cognizant of the context of the product, and the companies intentions, effect on their consciousness, etc, (even and especially if they choose to use that product while regarding those criticisms). I guess my real worry lies in the fact that a less-informed consumer and citizen may oftentimes may better serve the companies making the products affecting our lives.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, In a way, I'm just trying to figure out for myself why this sort of thing seems so strange and unappealing to me.

Guest RadarJammer

A couple perspectives come to mind if this thing would succeed in becoming mainstream.

If you were wearing one of these and it could log your activity in the cloud it could provide you with an alibi in case you become falsely accused of a crime.

It could further widen the gap between the privileged and underprivileged.

People could opt out of advertisements by opting in to a massive scale version of google earth data collecting.

Perhaps "limit" isn't the word I would use, but things like texting and videochatting have done the strange thing of making themselves seem somehow equivalent to face-to-face interaction. Now just becuase I am posting on a messageboard or texting a friend, doesn't mean it literally prevents me from going outside and talking to people in person. But when people feel that sort of need for social iteraction and emotional catharsis being slightly and temporarily alleviated by what seems like it, then you have alot of people turning to these froms of communication that are not truly equivalent. At that point I think you can say that there is a correspondence between the increase in people living in their smartphones and a decrease in meaningful communication with other people.

But I could be wrong! Who knows, I could see myself using them to get around a new area, then putting them away whenever I found what I was looking for. Like many products, I wouldn't worry about their effect as much if people were more critical and cognizant of the context of the product, and the companies intentions, effect on their consciousness, etc, (even and especially if they choose to use that product while regarding those criticisms). I guess my real worry lies in the fact that a less-informed consumer and citizen may oftentimes may better serve the companies making the products affecting our lives.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, In a way, I'm just trying to figure out for myself why this sort of thing seems so strange and unappealing to me.

basically you're saying people are retarded and don't even know how to fulfill their emotional needs.

Archived