IGNORED

David Bowie Predicted the Impact of the Internet... In 1999

Joyrex

In 1999, the BBC did an interview with David Bowie about the growing influence of the internet:

Watch how Bowie expertly predicts what we all know now, and takes the piss out of Jeremy Paxman while doing it!

Damn he's spot on - basically outlining social media in the last 5 years or so.

All of what he's saying here can be applied to music fandom, especially in electronic music, in 2017.

Yeah, he totally nails the idea that genres and media platforms will all have been affected by the internet.

Another interesting fun thing - Bowie lurked on his own fan sites, and DESTROYED a petulant fan back in '04:

h113C80DA.jpg

Yeah, he totally nails the idea that genres and media platforms will all have been affected by the internet.

Another interesting fun thing - Bowie lurked on his own fan sites, and DESTROYED a petulant fan back in '04:

h113C80DA.jpg

I don't see what's likeable about that.

h113C80DA.jpg

Everywhere he went, everybody prolly thought he owed them a Christ-like encounter. Imagine having goals and ideas and plans but you're alway being distracted from them by awkward 5-second conversations...

h113C80DA.jpg

It's not - just an over-entitled fan getting their comeuppance.

h113C80DA.jpg

It's not - just an over-entitled fan getting their comeuppance.

It's a good thing that Bowie didn't put out vinyl-only releases and no digitals, fucking hell, there'd be droves of unhappy fans...

Tis a good thing David Bowie didn't have to suffer foolishness like this either.  I happily coexist with my fellow watmmers who are vinyl enthusiasts/fetishists (I get that many people like to collect things), but Osc seems to take it a step further to embrace the notion those of us who don't engage in a particular format are unworthy of the listening experience entirely.   Music is meant to be heard, not placed behind some arbitrary barrier to entry.

Next time Instead of posting irrelevant comments in a thread like this, just sod off and go listen to some gescom records by yourself.

h113C80DA.jpg

Thanks for this!  Witty and self effacing as always.

Archived