IGNORED

throwing things away

chaosmachine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's interesting is how companies are moving us towards a society where we have more virtual items than physical ones... will 'cloud cleaning' be the new future purging of your past?

I saw a guy talk about this on a documentary that's over 15 years old. He wanted to do away with discs and floppies and have everything come through to his TV. Guy was a genius; can't remember who, though.

It's pretty freaky how much stuff we have in the digital aether. Not very secure, either.

ironically I'm about to go trough the same process again and I have a ton of shit I don't want to throw out.

My old 80's action/sci-fi VHS's are going to have to bite the dust and the old C64 I've been stashing have to go (taking out the SID of course). Don't know what to do with the games tho :sad:

My old 80's action/sci-fi VHS's are going to have to bite the dust and the old C64 I've been stashing have to go (taking out the SID of course). Don't know what to do with the games tho :sad:

NOOOO! Don't do it, man! That stuff's pure gold!

Also, fuck yeah Eccojams. I actually found the Troutman song from EOLES#1, not the other way around.

Also, fuck yeah Eccojams. I actually found the Troutman song from EOLES#1, not the other way around.

Same here. After that blindingly awesome Altered Jams (EDIT: lol wtf?) Zones interview he did I now understand how/why he chose those particular 2 bars to sample, which just makes it that much sweeter.

Guest zaphod

I don't have a problem with materialism or "being bound to things". I don't differentiate between a lifestyle where you aestheticise ideas, philosophies and personal tastes vs a life filled with material goods. Although, if this thread is really just about throwing shit away, I'm down with that. Don't be a hoarder, give away stuff you don't use. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Well played! :wink:

It's one of my favorite parables.

Here's an interesting exercise: compare the quality of wikipedia to britannica:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C5%8Dj%C5%8Dki

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/587066/An-Account-of-My-Hut

I don't have a problem with materialism or "being bound to things". I don't differentiate between a lifestyle where you aestheticise ideas, philosophies and personal tastes vs a life filled with material goods. Although, if this thread is really just about throwing shit away, I'm down with that. Don't be a hoarder, give away stuff you don't use. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

This. Also I think it's cool to have some physical things, but not like a shit ton. Like a very focused collection of things. That said I am nowhere close to achieving this with my own stuff...

I have so much crap - especially music gear, records and CDs - even old electronic music magazines. Old clothes even.

Mostly I like having access to it all.

Some stuff is probably worth something. Anyone want an XLR8R from 2001 with BoC on the cover?

ironically I'm about to go trough the same process again and I have a ton of shit I don't want to throw out.

I was a bit gutted when I got rid of all my Doctor Who VHS cassettes (all 108) I had taped off the television from PBS from about 1986 to about 1990-1. I used to watch those and get nostalgic for the PBS "bumpers" (bits before the programmes) that accidentally got on the tape because I wasn't good at timing my recordings.

I'm moving in three weeks and I am currently throwing away bags and bags of stuff.

I like stuff, but I dislike moving stuff even more, so everything must go.

Archived