IGNORED

Music you liked more before it was cool to like it.

J3FF3R00

I was the only person I knew that liked them. Itmademe feel like they were my secret, special, favorite band.

I've had this feeling many times, it was a buzz getting into music that not many people knew about, more so pre-internet days. In fact in todays internet age, it's almost impossible.

Those of you throwing the hipster tags at us? Clearly don't have a fucking clue what we mean or what we are talking about. It's got nothing to do with being a hipster you morons.

Exactly. I remember being a kid (in the early ninties) and having to go to some shitty record store 4 towns away from where I lived to go through the imports and used EPs and shit in order to find every song released by my favorite band. In those days, YOU COULDN'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING BECAUSE THERE WAS NO FUCKING INTERNET. So when you found a rare cd or 12" with a bonus track, you fucking earned it. I remember walking in the snow to the next town to go to this record store to try to find Pixies singles with b-sides on them. Eventually, I got them all on vinyl or cd and then, a year or two later, they released a cd collection of their b-sides. I felt very angry.

tool

This is the only one I can think of. Although in my case it was because I discovered King Crimson, who obviously inspired them, and Isis, who took some of Tool's sound and did a whole lot more with it.

I was the only person I knew that liked them. Itmademe feel like they were my secret, special, favorite band.

I've had this feeling many times, it was a buzz getting into music that not many people knew about, more so pre-internet days. In fact in todays internet age, it's almost impossible.

Those of you throwing the hipster tags at us? Clearly don't have a fucking clue what we mean or what we are talking about. It's got nothing to do with being a hipster you morons.

Exactly. I remember being a kid (in the early ninties) and having to go to some shitty record store 4 towns away from where I lived to go through the imports and used EPs and shit in order to find every song released by my favorite band. In those days, YOU COULDN'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING BECAUSE THERE WAS NO FUCKING INTERNET. So when you found a rare cd or 12" with a bonus track, you fucking earned it. I remember walking in the snow to the next town to go to this record store to try to find Pixies singles with b-sides on them. Eventually, I got them all on vinyl or cd and then, a year or two later, they released a cd collection of their b-sides. I felt very angry.

Yeah, we earned the right to feel cool back then. Collecting music and discovering unknown artists took some effort and what we found was unique to us in some way. Not globally of course, but in our own circles.

Sometimes artists or bands get popular because their music dips in quality. In that case it's OK to like them less.

This phenomenon has been famously documented by Professor of Musical Tautology, StephenG.

q = -p2/ c

where q = "objective quality" , p = popularity & c = critical acclaim

Yeah, we earned the right to feel cool back then. Collecting music and discovering unknown artists took some effort and what we found was unique to us in some way. Not globally of course, but in our own circles.

I don't miss those days. I remember spending YEARS trying to track down the second Gravity Kills album. I'd ask at every single CD store I visited. And then when I did manage to get a copy, it cost me $35! Fuck that shit!

Sigur Ros. not sure how i got turned onto them, probably on the Tool newsgroup, but it was way back when Agetis Bjyurn (sp?) came out.

feel ya Modey on the expensive ass cds....i'm in dire need of the Castor s/t album for NOT 30 bucks. cause, seriously, that's ridiculous.

LOL most of the artists listed in this thread aren't even popular. VHS Head, Flying Pouts ?? in what universe lol.

That's what I meant with my post. If Aphex Twin doesn't count, then nothing I listen to does.

I remember spending YEARS trying to track down the second Gravity Kills album. I'd ask at every single CD store I visited. And then when I did manage to get a copy, it cost me $35! Fuck that shit!

I too spent forever trying to track down that album. Then I finally heard it and thought it was horrible, never listened again. I still to this day have never seen a physical copy of that album, though I still see the first one floating around from time to time.

I liked it! Though by the time I got a copy I was kinda getting over that sound.

I did kinda experience something similar with IDM though. The only place near me that sold IDM albums charged $35-$40 just for the CD versions. I remember being so excited when I finally had the money to buy Chiastic Slide!

dubstep I guess, but only in name. I would never say I like dubstep now, but I still like what it used to be, and hated brostep the instant that it surfaced (pre-skrillex/sweeping america)

Sorry I can't really agree w/ this at all. If you stop liking a band because more people like them, then the reason you liked them has less to do w/ the music and more to do w/ how cool that band made you personally feel to be special in liking them. It's an identity thing for you. You liked them because you wanted to feel cool. There's nothing more hipster than that. I can say that because I'm not guiltless here. The only way to unhipster yourself is to first admit it.

Jesus Christ what is it with Americans, watmmer and hipsters? LoL It's like an epidemic!!

You will just have to take my word for it SPD. Back before all the music in world was a click away, it was really hard work discovering bands, and you felt part of a tribe. And I got the hump when my tribe was infriltrated by trendies!!! (what us in England call hipsters I guess).

If you met me, you'd realise quickly the last thing I am is a hipster :biggrin:. Thats my last word on this thread.

Pixies definitely. I got Come On Pilgrim and thought it was pretty cool. Then Surfer Rosa came out and everyone in sixth form was raving about it and I was too much of a pretentious music snob to check it out for a while. Before long though it became one of my favourite albums. I was also into New Order ages before anyone else I knew (I first heard Temptation when I was 11), although only properly got into them a few years later, by which time they'd put out this record called Blue Monday (still before anyone I knew though, get me).

I agree with beerwolf wholeheartedly. It's definitely a teen/pre-internet thing for me. Now I don't care about that sort of elitism, I'm too old and fat and have other things to worry about.

Archived