IGNORED

Zomby - Where were U in '92?

Guest jasondonervan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Boycott this fucking mook.

I pirated and the album and he may struggle to fuck himself.

not to mention that he has blatantly stolen stuff for two of his most popular tracks.

what's the other non-natalia's song track he stole for?

Dont know for sure, but I remember this.

Sounds like test me for a reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vItkoMv2Y

ohhh right remember hearing about this too

ahhh and here we go.

Guest blakeboogie

not to mention that he has blatantly stolen stuff for two of his most popular tracks.

what's the other non-natalia's song track he stole for?

Dont know for sure, but I remember this.

Sounds like test me for a reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vItkoMv2Y

Isn't this sampling? I know it's a youtube video but come on this is no different from sampling a drum beat off a piece of vinyl.

Sure, but he didn't change a damn thing about the melody, just looped it and threw a basic beat on top. Also he did not ask for permission or credit this guy in any way, and from what I have gathered, acted like an asshole when confronted about it.

It's one thing if you're just dicking around making tracks, but he profits off these tracks. Not only does he not seem to give credit or royalties, he seems to actively deny that he did anything wrong and acts like a tool.

how is sampling random youtube dude different from sampling anything else? someone explain. sure, not changing a thing is kinda lazy on zomby's part, but overall this isn't different from 90% of hip-hop albums sampling every soul/funk song possible.

as for credit - you don't see burial crediting anyone and he's building his music entirely from samples. why not start with this and then get back to zomby.

point being - nobody credits anything, why get pissy now? you don't see amen break being credited on squarepusher releases either.

now stealing a whole song a'la natalia's song drama is a different story.

/rant

But Burial and most good hip hop tracks build something entirely new out of their samples. This is literally just the exact same melody looped for two minutes with a very basic beat on top. Don't get me wrong, I like the track, but I like it because of that melody. I also have a problem with lazy sampling in other music, so it may not be different, but it doesn't make it right.

I read with some amusement the links from this tread and have to shake head about his style. I also use plunderphonics but I find it totally bollocks to leave them as they are. While they get a heavy treatment I made some new out of it and I also credit my samplings as "plunderphonics". Done right plunderphonics can be a art of itself. See John Oswald, Negativeland, Residents etc. etc.

He acts like a total dickhead about questions regarding his attitude and reading that he "passes flights" tell me he have enough money. Shit, I would give at least 10 years of lifetime for playing at the places he was booked.

:mellow:

I read with some amusement the links from this tread and have to shake head about his style. I also use plunderphonics but I find it totally bollocks to leave them as they are. While they get a heavy treatment I made some new out of it and I also credit my samplings as "plunderphonics". Done right plunderphonics can be a art of itself. See John Oswald, Negativeland, Residents etc. etc.

He acts like a total dickhead about questions regarding his attitude and reading that he "passes flights" tell me he have enough money. Shit, I would give at least 10 years of lifetime for playing at the places he was booked.

:mellow:

Was it really necessary to reffer to sampling as "plunderphonics"?

Was it really necessary to reffer to sampling as "plunderphonics"?

I think it's important to mention plunderphonics along with sampling.

I also refered to John Oswald for that- a part of his work can be also compared to people who take a piece of an other musician and incorporate it into their own works without any altering of the sound itself.

how is sampling random youtube dude different from sampling anything else? someone explain. sure, not changing a thing is kinda lazy on zomby's part, but overall this isn't different from 90% of hip-hop albums sampling every soul/funk song possible.

as for credit - you don't see burial crediting anyone and he's building his music entirely from samples. why not start with this and then get back to zomby.

point being - nobody credits anything, why get pissy now? you don't see amen break being credited on squarepusher releases either.

now stealing a whole song a'la natalia's song drama is a different story.

/rant

I think there is a difference here in that it was unreleased, sampling something that is already out there in its own terms is quite different because even if you dont credit them people tend to know its a sample and the orgional tack has already had its chance.

it was released to youtube. this is 21st century and all. it's not like he stole it from the guy. like natalia's song.

what you probably mean is that it was not copyrighted (i'm reaching).

but my point was that rarely anybody cares about copyrights when it comes to music and samples. just ask klf. or daft punk. man, daft punk do exactly the same thing. it doesn't make it right but ganging up on zomby for it is kinda silly. he's probably working at kinko's and not making much money from music anyway, since he skips all his gigs.

sorry i was refering to natalia's song, dont think i read the thread properly and just jumped in with a comment I do apologise......

Zomby is still a proper cunt tho! ;)

Guest teetime

It baffles me the amount of attention he is getting. I simply did not hear a single decent track by him. Could you give me an example of the best he has to offer?

Where were U in 92 is his best works pretty much. I mean I know its just nostalgic and highly sample based(uh oh), but its well put together.

None of his other works stand out to me much, the rest of his stuff is a bit of a snooze with the exception of a handful of tracks.

To sum up my view, I don't really mind if you blatantly sample or are a cunt, as long as your music can back it up. He fails at all three though.

It baffles me the amount of attention he is getting. I simply did not hear a single decent track by him. Could you give me an example of the best he has to offer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua2WdkqlCQU

Something like this is obviously all his own production and it's a really, really good track. He genuinely has talent imo, but it's difficult to get past how he acts and treats people and focus just on the music. Another reason why egos need to stay out of music really.

Something like this is obviously all his own production and it's a really, really good track. He genuinely has talent imo, but it's difficult to get past how he acts and treats people and focus just on the music. Another reason why egos need to stay out of music really.

I kept waiting for something to happen, then nothing happened.

Ditto. It a nice track, theres just not a lot going on

Guest teetime

Yeah. Im sorry but imho: This track is quiet frankly pretty boring. In the first 10 seconds i felt like i knew where the track is going. Bland melody, Basic chord progression and use of an auto arpeggiator midi effect, an uninspired tempo change for the b section . Someone who knows what he is doing could have done this track in 30 mins imho.I am sorry but i cannot see the appeal at all. At best it could function as a pretty generic "electro" beat for a hip hop track.

Archived