IGNORED

Bleep - A Guide to Electronic Music

QBLA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better? The first thing they say is:

1982 was when it all began. Yes, 1982 was the pivotal year that electronic music crashed into prominence. Nothing happened earlier than that. And it was all due to the creation of a single, ingenius invention, one of the most celebrated collaberations of collaberaters in the standards-fractured world of electronic equipment: MIDI.

And that's when I didn't care to read any further...

For anyone interested, there was a 3 disc compilation done a while back called "OHM: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music (1948-1980)" that seems far more complete in regards to the pioneers of electronic music (1948 - 1980) ...

It can be download link removed - It may be out of print but copyright still applies

DISC 1 :

01 - Clara Rockmore - Tchaikovsky Valse Sentimentale

02 - Olivier Messiaen - Oraison

03 - Pierre Schaeffer - Etude Aux Chemins De Fer

04 - John Cage - Williams Mix

05 - Herbert Eimert - Klangstudie II

06 - Otto Luening - Low Speed

07 - Hugh Le Caine - Dripsody

08 - Louis And Bebe Barron - Main Title From Forbidden Planet

09 - Oskar Sala - Concertando Rubato From Elektronische Tanzsuite

10 - Edgard Varese - Poem Electronique

11 - Richard Maxfield - Sine Music (A Swarm Of Butterflies Encountered Over The Ocean)

12 - Tod Dockstader - Apocalpyse - Part 2

13 - Karlheinz Stockhausen - Kontakte [Edit]

14 - Vladimir Ussachevsky - Wireless Fantasy

15 - Milton Babbitt - Philomel [Edit]

16 - MEV - Spacecraft

DISC 2 :

01 - Raymond Scott - Cindy Electronium

02 - Steve Reich - Pendulum Music

03 - Pauline Oliveros - Bye Bye Butterfly

04 - Joji Yuasa - Projection Esemplastic For White Noise

05 - Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples Of The Moon, Part 1 [Edit]

06 - David Tudor - Rainforest Version 1 [Edit]

07 - Terry Riley - Poppy Nogood [Edit]

08 - Holger Czukay - Boat-Woman-Song [Edit]

09 - Luc Ferrari - Music Promenade [Edit]

10 - Francois Bayle - Rosace 3 From Vibrations Composees

11 - Jean-Claude Risset - Mutations [Edit]

12 - Iannis Xenakis - Hibiki-Hana-Ma [Edit]

13 - La Monte Young - Excerpt 31 69 C. 121733-122533 Pm Nyc

DISC 3 :

01 - Charles Dodge - He Destroyed Her Image

02 - Paul Lansky - Six Fantasies On A Poem By Thomas Campion Her Song

03 - Laurie Spiegel - Appalachian Grove I

04 - Bernard Parmegiani - En Phasehors Phase From Dedans Dehors

05 - David Behrman - On The Other Ocean [Edit]

06 - John Chowning - Stria [Edit]

07 - Maryanne Amacher - Living Sound, Patent Pending Music For Sound-Joined Rooms Series [Edit]

08 - Robert Ashley - Automatic Writing [Edit]

09 - Alvin Curran - Canti Illuminati [Edit]

10 - Alvin Lucier - Music On A Long Thin Wire [Edit]

11 - Klaus Schulze - Melange

12 - Jon Hassell - Before And After Charm (La Notte)

13 - Brian Eno - Unfamiliar Wind (Leeks Hills)

That is the crappiest list I've ever seen. It's more like "A Guide To IDM" with a few exceptions - Jarre, Popol Vuh, Eno.

No Wendy Carlos.

No Tangerine Dream (seriously wtf!)

No Klaus Schulze

No 70's/80's West Coast Space Music (Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, Constance Demby among many others)

No Steve Reich.

No Kraftwerk

Seriously, forget that list and dive into any of the above.

Yet another "WARP needs money" release which I don't need. More or less I've got all stuff. But a good reminder to re-listen to the Guy called Gerald Automanikk album, need to find it first... Loved it back in those days...

$19.99!?!?!?

They've got to be fucking kidding.

It's a pretty good comp, as far as comps go, but definitely not ideal.

I agree, Moroder, Kraftwerk and W Carlos need some love. Also, possibly the Silver Apples.

It is good they at least have Popol Vuh and Throbbing Gristle, but come on.

Also, for RDJ, Windowlicker? Really?

Well seems the link was removed, but I'll just say that compilation I posted can be googled REALLY easily and is a far better comp...

There are a lot people right here on this forum that could have made a list a good deal better than that one.

I know I already said it but no Tangerine Dream?

That's like creating a guide to Classical music and leaving out Mozart.

I'm not even a musician but I still know when to get down on my knees and pay homage to the fucking Masters.

bro you dont have salem or any cool witch house bands that take songs and slow them down.. your missing some real talint on this!!!!

edit:

Also this one is still better:

http://techno.org/el...ic-music-guide/

Better? The first thing they say is:

1982 was when it all began. Yes, 1982 was the pivotal year that electronic music crashed into prominence. Nothing happened earlier than that. And it was all due to the creation of a single, ingenius invention, one of the most celebrated collaberations of collaberaters in the standards-fractured world of electronic equipment: MIDI.

And that's when I didn't care to read any further...

But what about all that talint?

When I was a teenager in the mid 1980's, TD would sometimes put out three albums in a year - usually a new studio album, a live album and a soundtrack too.

Even to this this day, I cannot comprehend how a group of German guys could be so endlessly inventive and prolific.

I, along with a couple of other guys used to while away the afternoons in the rec room of my sixth- form college days and play TD, Schulze and Eno on the stereo.

All the shallow, trendy bastards would moan and say "What the fuck is this shit? Can't we listen to Bros, Terence Trent Darby or Curiosity Killed The Cat?"

"No, we fucking can't. Listen and educate yourselves."

Happy days.

It all is a bit too contemporary I think. There are huge gaps between the 30's and the late 60's. They could've found more there no?

It's sad I know nearly all the last 40 tracks, I would've hoped on more hidden gems.. If there wasn't something like legal and licensing issues this list would've been more of interest I think (even if you kept it around 50 or so tracks). It's fun listening though, don't get me wrong, I nearly love all these tracks (especially from the 70s through the late 90s)!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ruiagnelo

Finally decided to check this out.

Seems like the 90's and onwards tracks were randomly chosen, or chosen according to popularity levels. It's too bad because they probably also have chosen the other tracks randomly, even though most of those were unknown to me, and i enjoyed them so much, especially the very first track by Olivier Messiaen.

Now I am thinking that i know nothing about electronic music, and this compilation ain't helping!

Chill out guys, its just Bleep trying to sell some old stuff and make a few bob.

Our aim with this selection of music is to show the length and breadth of the medium, providing a snapshot of the genres forms and styles, and the development of the artform. Whilst there are omissions and compromises that we have had to make, we hope that we achieve our aims and we do some justice to the variety of music that we love.

55 tracks for £15 aint bad and the cover art is hilarious.

You really expecting them to shell out the licencing to get Kraftwerk on there?

Guest ruiagnelo

Chill out guys, its just Bleep trying to sell some old stuff and make a few bob.

Our aim with this selection of music is to show the length and breadth of the medium, providing a snapshot of the genres forms and styles, and the development of the artform. Whilst there are omissions and compromises that we have had to make, we hope that we achieve our aims and we do some justice to the variety of music that we love.

55 tracks for £15 aint bad and the cover art is hilarious.

You really expecting them to shell out the licencing to get Kraftwerk on there?

no, i just want them to call it 55 randomly chosen tracks for cash

and not

A GUIDE TO ELECTRONIC MUSIC

no, i just want them to call it 55 randomly chosen tracks for cash

and not

A GUIDE TO ELECTRONIC MUSIC

Think of it as a cheap badly photocopied guide that leads you to cafes in back alleys rather than the famous sites

Evening Knights of the IDM Table!!!!!

I love how this compilations has offended so many of our Elite Force!!!

Those who sup the fine wine and taste the finest bread will realise this foolhardy compilation matters much only to lowly peasents!!!

I suggest we mount our steeds and force the heads of those who oppse us onto our lances.

Skull by skull!!!

Archived