IGNORED

Bleep - A Guide to Electronic Music

QBLA

https://bleep.com/st...lectronic Music

Bleep's guide to Electronic Music is a 55 track compilation charting the historical emergence of electronic music by looking at landmark tracks from the 1930s up to present day.

Our aim with this selection of music is to show the length and breadth of the medium, providing a snapshot of the genres forms and styles, and the development of the artform. Whilst there are omissions and compromises that we have had to make, we hope that we achieve our aims and we do some justice to the variety of music that we love.

This compilation developed out of a project to create a Facebook timeline charting the development of electronic music from the late 19th Century until now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH SNAP! I'm listening to William's Mix by John Cage right now! I made a track for my next album that kinda resembles this... only with beats and other sounds and melodies!

Pretty shitty list

Good idea though

Agreed although it's pretty much impossible to make a non-shitty list.

Yeah, but I'd be seriously interested to see what the WATMM collective could come up with.

Good guide to get people into electronic music I suppose. Although no Tangerine Dream and no Kraftwerk (regardless of how neat Bruce Haack was) seem like kind of major misses?

Yeah... lack of Kraftwerk and Steve Reich is kind of odd. Being that they are pretty much big influences. Hell even early Orb and FSOL isn't there? A lot of omissions in the compilation, but a good listen none the less.

Good guide to get people into electronic music I suppose. Although no Tangerine Dream and no Kraftwerk (regardless of how neat Bruce Haack was) seem like kind of major misses?

Yeah... lack of Kraftwerk and Steve Reich is kind of odd. Being that they are pretty much big influences. Hell even early Orb and FSOL isn't there? A lot of omissions in the compilation, but a good listen none the less.

Yeah these are exactly the problems that would emerge in such a list attempt. Maybe licensing and ownership issues - i.e. those artists aren't in the Bleep catalog...

Nonetheless, looks like a good sampler. Probably excellent for people trying to find their way and what they like within electronic musics many genres and styles.

No Wendy Carlos as well. This list could most definitely have been better. Not bad for being limited to using just the bleep digital catalog.

Guest Roksen Creek

Am I missing something with Charanjit Singh?

Maybe because I'm from the same ethnic background as him, I can see past the mystique. All he did was take ragas, which are unbelievably beautiful and powerful in their original form, and mutilate them using the latest electronic equipment he could get hold of at the time, and put some disco beats in, the type that were extremely popular in Bollywood music at that time, and earlier. It sounds really tacky to me and I'm not surprised it flopped because I'm sure most Indians would find it tacky.

Is it because of the sound production? I guess that is quite impressive for the time.

Scottish duo, Boards of Canada, release their timeless debut on Warp Records and Skam. ‘Music Deserves The Right To Children’ receives rave reviews throughout the international music press - sparse melodies, analogue synthesizers and fragmented speech set the blueprint for one of electronic music’s best loved groups. ""Roygbiv” is an acronym for the sequence of hues in a rainbow. (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green Blue, Indigo ,Violet).

:facepalm:

Guest Roksen Creek

Am I missing something with Charanjit Singh?

I think most of the hype boils down to OMG PREHISTORIC ACID because he used a 303 before it was cool

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. It's quite embarassing really, the album to me is cringeworthy and he seems clueless in interviews. I bet he can't believe his luck!

Archived