IGNORED

Locust - You'll Be Safe Forever

ZmillA

This album rocks so much. I've listened to it three times in a row while working today and I'm not even close to tired of it.

• 2 weeks later...

All right! My CD just arrived. The artwork looks even better in person (unsurprisingly). Glossier than "The Revenant Diary", and the lettering has the same dirty-gold metallic ink as Seefeel's "Seefeel" from a couple years ago. Pumped about listening to it again today.

I realize what I'm about to say might be considered sacrilege around these parts, but I must say it: lately, editions Mego has been kicking Warp's ass in terms of excellent releases. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Exai" way more than I thought I would (and I have *not* experienced deflation with that release, by the way). And I am looking forward to Bibio's upcoming stuff. However, for the most part, it seems like warp has a bunch of over-hyped mediocre garbage. eMego, on the other hand, has stellar release after stellar release. And not a lot of hype, for that matter. And their spectrum spools division has it's share of excellent material, as well. (On that note, no one else seemed that excited about Forma's stuff, but that's a mistake--you guys should check it out.) I mean, that Lidell album was annoying, and I can't get into exclamation marks x 3 at all, and don't even get me started on Hudson Mohawke or teginato or however it's pronounced. I mean, what happened here?

Just to clarify, my feelings on this matter have nothing to do with the eye-dee-ummz, or anything along those lines (OMG, warp doesn't publish nearly as much IMDs; it's too much geetahrs, y'all!). I'm just talking about good music. Just good music. I mean, Warp still releases some great stuff from time to time, but they have been releasing more junk, proportionally speaking.

Yeah, I will admit, I was very disappointed with the Hecker "Speculative Solution". I have advance degrees in philosophy, and those "essays" give bullshit a bad name (as Searle said of Derrida). Still, I appreciated the effort, and I'll take avant garbage over pop garbage any day. No question. That's what attracted me to a label called "warp" to begin with. Oh well.

Yeah I guess I'd agree there too, though the "usual" release on Mego is way more out there than Warp at their most experimental. Trying to think of what that would be anyways; Confield?

Warp have put out stuff by Florian Hecker, Russell Haswell and Merzbow in the past...all eMego artists. And at the same time, eMego is covering more accessible, almost pop-friendly territory with releases by Emeralds, Locust, CoH etc. Still, I much prefer the evolution in Mego's vision than Warp's.

• 2 weeks later...

MvH loves us!

From Locust FB:

Some of our favorite comments from Watmm.com

"This album rocks so much. I've listened to it three times in a row while working today and I'm not even close to tired of it."

"Mego is always spot on."

"I realize what I'm about to say might be considered sacrilege around these parts, but I must say it: lately, editions Mego has been kicking Warp's ass in terms of excellent releases."

"Music for sex."

That last comment is spot on!

Love to the WATMM community who have supported us since we restarted Locust @ WMFU.

I just saw that, too. They totally deserve the love. I've basically just had this album on repeat since I received it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kracker

This sounds way better than the stuff he released as Mark Van Hoen. Great to have a new Locust album at last.

Archived