IGNORED

Swans - The Seer

jhonny

• 5 months later...

I know I'm late but I finally picked up the LP version of this.

Question though: If anyone else bought the vinyl, did it come with frosted plastic inner sleeves (rather than the apparently typical rounded-corner white paper sleeves)? Because mine did. Ordered it new from amazon (sold by and shipped from). Package was sealed with the standard sticker-blub on the outside. Midheaven download card inside, which didn't work (but maybe it was deactivated because of the amazon auto-rip download availability?) Also had the poster inside.

Sides are etched with "YG45 SIDE ONE" etc., which seems normal.

Weird. Or maybe not weird? I dunno.

Listening now. I love it so far.

Who is the scariest Swans member though?

swans-wall-long-pc-jennifer-church_wide-

Gira looks like Max Hardcore now

It's a tie between far left and far right for me. They're all characters!

Yeah, I sort of slept on the Swans resurrection. Big mistake. This album is great and I think I prefer the LP track order. Sounds fucking incredible too.

seeing them live on thursday!!!

Wear earplugs. Seriously.

I approve and support this warning. Not the loudest I ever witnessed, and their set two weeks ago was relatively 'soft', but still really, really loud. And really, really good :) have fun.

seeing them live on thursday!!!

Wear earplugs. Seriously.

I approve and support this warning. Not the loudest I ever witnessed, and their set two weeks ago was relatively 'soft', but still really, really loud. And really, really good :) have fun.

I had really high expectations and it was still amazing.

Well, the gig lasted two and half hours. I could barely recognise any tracks, maybe 3. And all together they played 6, max 7 tracks. They were brutal and relentless from start to finish. They opened with a 10 minute drone on gong and cymbals. Then the rest of the band came on stage and unleashed the mayhem. One chord for another ten minutes, ridiculous power and energy, people were going mad.

And it was like that for the entire show. The last track, pretty sure it's a new one (one reviewer called it "Black Hole Man") especially stood out for me. A really sinister groove. I am so glad I went and witnessed this at last.

edit: found the track [youtubehd]x1AhoTQ3iAk[/youtubehd]

Well, the gig lasted two and half hours. I could barely recognise any tracks, maybe 3. And all together they played 6, max 7 tracks. They were brutal and relentless from start to finish. They opened with a 10 minute drone on gong and cymbals. Then the rest of the band came on stage and unleashed the mayhem. One chord for another ten minutes, ridiculous power and energy, people were going mad.

And it was like that for the entire show. The last track, pretty sure it's a new one (one reviewer called it "Black Hole Man") especially stood out for me. A really sinister groove. I am so glad I went and witnessed this at last.

Nice! It was probably the exact same set I saw - 6 songs - lasted 2 hours and a bit. The gong intro really made me uncomfortable, I was really getting fed up with it (which is probably what they were trying to accomplish), thinking: oh boy, this is going to be a long ass gig. Then the mayhem unleashed and I felt completely out of this world for the next 2 hours. People going absolutely apeshit next to me (dancing like morons, I loved it!). A magical experience.

edit: I remember that Black Hole Man track again now! That one was amazing, I was getting heavy Krautrock vibes.

• 6 months later...

Seeing them live on saturday. Seems like they have played the same setlist for most of the concerts the last couple of months. Setlist.fm says

1. Frankie M

2. A Little God In My Hands (from To Be Kind)

3.The Cloud of Unknowing

4.Just a Little Boy (from To Be Kind)

5. I Forget

6. Bring the Sun (from To Be Kind) /Black Hole Man

Frankie M seems to be a new track, but what about TheCloud, I Forget and Black Hole Man? Does anyone know those tracks?

Seeing them live on saturday. Seems like they have played the same setlist for most of the concerts the last couple of months. Setlist.fm says

1. Frankie M

2. A Little God In My Hands (from To Be Kind)

3.The Cloud of Unknowing

4.Just a Little Boy (from To Be Kind)

5. I Forget

6. Bring the Sun (from To Be Kind) /Black Hole Man

Frankie M seems to be a new track, but what about TheCloud, I Forget and Black Hole Man? Does anyone know those tracks?

Afaik they are all new tracks. I've seen them twice in a very short period (three times if you count Gira solo), and the set had a lot of diffferent tracks (first set only had Frankie M as a new track, second set had a few more, don't know the titles though). Both sets were incredibly solid, by far the best band I've seen in the last few years. Have fun anyway!

probably new tracks. their cycle for the last few tours have been

tour with album + new material > release live album to fund new album > new album > tour with album + new material > release live album to fund new album > new album > etc

I would love to see swans. They did a couple of uk gigs recently but the closest to me was London on a Wednesday which would be a complete ballache to get home from.

Next time...

*edit*

Playing in London again this month, but its a Thursday. Roundhouse tho, good venue

Archived