IGNORED

Death Grips Drama

J3FF3R00

A band with any sort of ambition in the public sphere has to do something more than make music to get your attention these days. Passion Pit had Pitchfork fabricate that article about the lead singer airing his dirty laundry to get that Elliott Smith sympathy factor. http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/8893-rite-of-passion/

Death Grips are dicks and quit their label. Hey, now people are talking about them again, even though The Money Store came out 6-7 months ago. (Ages in internet time) Their music is divisive, but it's not just another wet noodle. And there's too many damn wet noodles.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MC Ride isn't the main draw for me but I like his vocals well enough as a textural element from which you can discern occasional snatches of actual lyrics but it's mostly just there for rhythm (Get Got, Hustle Bones, I've Seen Footage, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

i guess this is what happens when you form a punk ethos based on magic: the gathering tactics

edit: i am now unsure if there is a legitimate musician going by the name aphex twinge. music journalism :trashbear:

I'm not sure if it's just the interviewer/author eliding relevant information (it could be), but that interview honestly makes them seem like bigger cuntheads than I pegged them for.

It's basically Death Grips blowing off a bunch of commitments to make an album (ok... but don't make commitments that you can't keep, only shitheads do that) which leads to their actual supporters at the label losing their jobs which is only a big problem for death grips because now they have nobody to talk to at the label, and it was like they were locked out, man, and why would the label do that, this is art without compromises and shit.

If this was some Magickal Ritual to destroy their image because it's the music that matters, as the article suggests, it seems to have been more than a little naive (I guess it would have to be, right?). Basically they shacked up at Chateau Marmont and blew threw their advance. Wow, so edgy! Nobody's ever done that before. And they got people who supported them fired because they were behaving like Lohans. So cool! But guys they weren't trying to be cool. And also that penis is just there because it's like super interesting and a beautiful composition, you know?

It's like Hill had a crisis when the other dude from Hella started having children, and in opposition to that decided to go back to being twelve.

If the music is the only thing that matters, and you think all that Major Label Marmont shit is corrupt and artistically bankrupt (which it obviously is), don't fucking live there for a month doing blow. What did playing the Control deck get them? An Axl-style reputation for dependability? You'd think a band that wants to mean something would also want their word to mean something.

I just seems like a ton of bullshit. Stop being cunty and just make music on your own terms, guys, and release it on your own terms, and don't fuck other people over to do it, even if those people are working for the scummy record label that you agreed to work with for some reason.

I'm not defending their recent actions but I think an important explanatory factor in all this, as is becoming more and more apparent post-NLDW, is that they're not 100%-mentally-sound guys. they really are "noided". it's surprising when people turn out to be as unhinged irl as they seem in their music, you don't get that often.

Yeah, it's a fair point. I said this more jokingly a while ago, but there's some truth to it: there's a lot of people like that in LA in various sectors of society and industry and in various stages of functionality, and I kind of just can't fucking deal anymore. That's really my problem which I am unfairly projecting on Hill and Burnett.

Edit: I don't have a problem with noided people... it's just, you know, it gets tiresome when you hear noided people elevating themselves up to and including godhead every day when they can't wipe they ass proper

But also, conversely, I wish Hill would tear it up a little more like in the old days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpMZE0KA_gY

edit 355: I like exmilitary a lot more than their recent stuff

edit 356: I guess the opening sample on Beware kind of foreshadowed this whole thing

I'm not sure if it's just the interviewer/author eliding relevant information (it could be), but that interview honestly makes them seem like bigger cuntheads than I pegged them for.

agree with you completely. my opinion changed after i watched the pitchfork review which i commented on here

Agreed. I am getting a bit bored with this band, yet I had them down as a band who were going to stoke the fires of Hell, instead they seem like a bunch of boring cunts who are way up their own arses. Maybe I am wrong....

agree with you completely. my opinion changed after i watched the pitchfork review which i commented on here

Yeah that was painful to listen to.

Guest the anonymous forumite
I think DG is far superior to Hella, but that is just, like, my opinion, man.

I think both have an incredible energy, but Hella is way more interesting. I'm not sure what I would think if DG had an actual, good mc.

so opinions seem to be turning against this band after NLDW, eh... fickle fickle.

I don't care, I still like their music and will continue enjoying it.

This. WATMM. They've released more music in the past year and a half than most release in 5 years, and it's been much more fun. Imagine not being boring for a second.

The thing about Death Grips is it has this neo-caveman thing going on, where they're not so much about musical grace or technical achievement, & more about piling things on top of each other in whatever way will build up the sense of aggression.

To me it's good music, but more the kind you feel & not the kind you sit scratching your beard to going "m'hm yesss"

To me it's good music, but more the kind you feel & not the kind you sit scratching your beard to going "m'hm yesss"

Their lyrics can be insanely well written though:

lycanthropic manic cycles

fire water burnin bibles

wake up ragin call a taxi

take me to the nearest city

cell light up yeah get at me

make it quick though blood im busy (get busy)

drilled a hole into my head

pierced the bone and

felt the breeze

lift my thoughts out

dem sick bed

wit a pair of crow

skeleton wings

know nothin since then

it seems

been floatin through

the nexus threadin dreams

Their lyrics can be insanely well written though

I like the lyrics too & think they're pretty friggin clever at times, but musically speaking at first I thought it was just I'M SHOUTING CRAZY HOMELESS GUY STUFF OVER ALL THIS NOISE, then I actually looked up what he was saying.

The thing about Death Grips is it has this neo-caveman thing going on, where they're not so much about musical grace or technical achievement, & more about piling things on top of each other in whatever way will build up the sense of aggression.

excellent point

so opinions seem to be turning against this band after NLDW, eh... fickle fickle.

I don't care, I still like their music and will continue enjoying it.

This. WATMM. They've released more music in the past year and a half than most release in 5 years, and it's been much more fun. Imagine not being boring for a second.

True.

I like their lyrics a lot too.

I like how dark and evil they can kick it. Even if it is strictly theatrics or even childish fascination, I go for that sort of thing.

Plus, the beats are sick.

Archived