IGNORED

hurricane sandy

jules

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how fucking outmoded the reportage on CNN et al is at the moment; still just talking heads in raincoats subjectively describing rain and wind and their immediate surroundings and not really any attempt to bring in images and reports from the broader internet

why ive been staying here most of the day :)

Me too. I didn't quite grasp how silly cnn's broadcast presentation still is until I got home from work and to the tv, though. There's obviously serious shit going on and that tired field report style just makes things look simultaneously trivial and sensationalized. Which should be more of a contradiction, but seeing reporters in raincoats mime heavy winds for thirty-one years has colored my perception.

It's funny how fucking outmoded the reportage on CNN et al is at the moment; still just talking heads in raincoats subjectively describing rain and wind and their immediate surroundings and not really any attempt to bring in images and reports from the broader internet

why ive been staying here most of the day :)

Me too. I didn't quite grasp how silly cnn's broadcast presentation still is until I got home from work and to the tv, though. There's obviously serious shit going on and that tired field report style just makes things look simultaneously trivial and sensationalized. Which should be more of a contradiction, but seeing reporters in raincoats mime heavy winds for thirty-one years has colored my perception.

that piece i posted a few pages back as a joke had some serious implications along the same lines you are speaking on. so called "reporters" overacting in front of the camera for ratings and profits, capitalizing on a storm for shock value when they should just fucking report the muthafuckin weather.

the internet is rendering a lot of the old cadre obsolete, so they are trying to pick up the slack, rather than pay for outside contributors (ie. people that actually take the photos whose lives are actually at stake)

its a low down shame. and at the same time, they are depriving a lot of people what they really need to know.

hows everyone in NYC doing?

I like that one of those dangerous red arrows is pointing straight at Salem. try mumble-rapping your way outta this one, bitches.

Joke is lol but I the real Salem is wicked nice except for that Bewitched statue

I like that one of those dangerous red arrows is pointing straight at Salem. try mumble-rapping your way outta this one, bitches.

Joke is lol but I the real Salem is wicked nice except for that Bewitched statue

Oh, the arrow is pointing to some fake Salem. That's ok, then.

some guy on reddit regarding the explosion at the power plant:

looks like an electrical arc, not a generator explosion. Pretty much like a short circuit. Electrical substations are designed so that there is enough air between electrical legs to insulate the circuit. What may have happened is some conductive debris was blown where it could allow an arc to form. Once the arc forms it vaporizes the material all around it. This vaporized metal is much more conductive than air and allows the arc to continue. It can cause pretty serious damage, especially if the cooling oil in the transformers catch on fire.

Like the ones shown here: [1]

Most of those videos were shot in the daytime, at night they would appear about as bright as in the video.

Oh, the arrow is pointing to some fake Salem. That's ok, then.

lol is that not the real Salem?

Nah, Salem NJ is some guido imposter of Salem MA

Probably doesn't even have a Bewitched statue

well, im off to slumber....

best wishes to the NYC peoples...stay safe in the northeast...hopefully ill wake up hearing better things.

be well

Yeah we had a beautiful amazing gorgeous day in Houston today. Its like the World wants you to think everything is ok and no one is suffering elsewhere.

YOU CAN"T FOO ME EARTH!

Saw a great interview with a NYC cabbie via Skype on BBC. He was basically saying it was bad but not as bad as it looks and it'll all be cleaned up soon. He went on to say that for the majority of New Yorkers there was no real problem and that now the worst thing was boredom. He actually said something like for those who have their basements flooded or building damage, they'll at least have something to do whereas for everybody else who can't use the subway, can't go shopping etc - it's just really boring. Jeez... 1st world problems.

If you run this storm on a "quantity of life taken" basis, places like Bangladesh get horrific all the time that cause mass destruction and often mass losses of life.

For example...

http://www.abc.net.a...h-storm/4308856

This hit two weeks ago, killing 19 people and flattening over 1000 homes.

Yet this story barely made the news over here, it definitely would not have made front page news on multiple papers nor would it have clogged up the news channels as Sandy is.

What I am trying to say is, this shit happens all over the world, all the time, but the UK media seem rather fixated with what happens in the US of A. I guess because our economies are densely tied and what happens in America tends to eventually have an economic impact worldwide... but America has the resources and the infrastructure to rebuild (although im guessing the NY subway could be pretty damn screwed). Sandy itself killed 65 people when it hit the Caribbean and this was only briefly mentioned in news reports until it got close to mainland America.

I am not belittling the chaos that is going on over the pond, I hope everyone is ok. I'm just trying to put it all into perspective. Sure looks like a monster storm though!

Surely he has the power to make all things better.

Why not hang him high up in a plastic box?

lol

not sure if standing or performing magic trick

Archived