IGNORED

hurricane sandy

jules

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No floods no mayor destruction, just a few broken roof tails and a couple of trees are down, i guess we were lucky there is a shit load of hills around us.

Some people have it bad though (specially ny), i keep seeing reports of sharks swimming in backyards, crazy stuff.

sorry if the following is a bit insensitive - the impression i get is that all the drama in NY is much exaggerated. the bunch of pictures floating around make it look like entire manhattan got swept, but it's just the streets close to the harbor right? you see a picture of a flooded subway station and think all of them are submerged. when in reality it's just a bunch. no power? well NYC has seen that before, crappy infrastructure much? also these false reports of NYSE being drowned etc... fake drama! it's just that people in US metropolitan areas seem to be the most prolific internet users on the planet, and probably also the most sensation craving.. how many people die due to traffic accidents in the storm area on a normal day, which didn't happen last night because no traffic? got your feet wet a bit? big deal.

Never lost power at my place in brooklyn but internet has been spotty. When the winds were the worst my building was shaking quite a bit. I read that 90% of Brooklyn still has power. Manhattan definitely had more problems with black outs.

this might have been posted but crazy set of pictures here...http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/10/hurricane-sandy-after-landfall/100396/

MTA says it could take up to 4 days to pump subway tunnels, after which they have to inspect all the track, clean, etc.

holy. fucking. shit. i knew transportation would take the biggest hit as a result of the situation in NYC, but four days. holy fuck.

this is my second day working from home, and especially as an employee of a company with big turnover rates and taking-no-shit approach to work ethic, this is a weird feeling. not sure how MTA will affect that for the remainder of the week.

sorry if the following is a bit insensitive - the impression i get is that all the drama in NY is much exaggerated. the bunch of pictures floating around make it look like entire manhattan got swept, but it's just the streets close to the harbor right? you see a picture of a flooded subway station and think all of them are submerged. when in reality it's just a bunch. no power? well NYC has seen that before, crappy infrastructure much? also these false reports of NYSE being drowned etc... fake drama! it's just that people in US metropolitan areas seem to be the most prolific internet users on the planet, and probably also the most sensation craving.. how many people die due to traffic accidents in the storm area on a normal day, which didn't happen last night because no traffic? got your feet wet a bit? big deal.

-_- you sound daft

there's no timetable for the MTA repair, which is what gets the majority of New Yorkers where they need to go. for a city with a pretty goddamned high population of people who work in a densely centralized area of pretty fucking remarkable GDP, lack of the most ubiquitous public transit can be pretty damning. if you have some weird disposition against internet users in US metropolitan areas, that's a different situation entirely.

and we here are well aware of the 50+ deaths in the carribean as a result of the hurricane, it's not like we're just shitting ourselves because we lost power in the middle of microwaving our hot pockets.

Yeah I can understand saying that Irene was exaggerated... Sandy seemed very much worthy of the hype. When's the last time you saw NYC flooded with water, not to mention having the subway shut down for that long. I saw this video of flooding between somewhere and "the projects." It was extremely eerie knowing that everyone was shut into their houses by the flooding.

That's definitely the most flooding seen in NYC. Not to mention the explosion video,

Honestly what remains extraordinarily irritating for me is that the major news channels failed to capture any good footage of the flooding or any of that... what the fuck were they doing the whole time? How is it that there are so many great pictures of flooding, explosions, etc... but the news people seemed either oblivious or were just reporting on the same location the whole time. Maybe they were restricted from going to certain areas.

Yet this story barely made the news over here, it definitely would not have made front page news on multiple papers nor would it have clogged up the news channels as Sandy is.

I think UK-ers are more likely to know someone in America vs. Bangladesh, so they'd care more.

So far all I've heard is that my Mom/Grandma's house is fine, but all of their neighbors have a downed tree, one of which went through his attic.

i find it ironic that despite some people yelling about equal representation of hurricanes/disasters elsewhere, they never decide to post or report about them until a comparison to a disaster in the West seems necessary.

i find it ironic that despite some people yelling about equal representation of hurricanes/disasters elsewhere, they never decide to post or report about them until a comparison to a disaster in the West seems necessary.

To be fair, on a forum like this who is going to bother responding to such a thread?

Just troon with his "mother nature has bummed us in the balls because of our paradoxical ignorance from our low brow un-brain primate thinking, so sad, so so sad" bullshit.

Archived