IGNORED

is "bastardization" a curse word? can I use it in a paper I'm writing

vamos scorcho

Guest uptown devil

well words like fuck and shit are labeled as 'vulgar slang' in the dictionary, while bastardize is just listed as a verb. I think you will be okay.

Bastardize is not a curse word, but (as you know) the point behind it is that declaring something a bastard is to debase it. It's totally acceptable to use it in the general sense of debase, but you can maybe see why it might not be the best choice under all circs. Personally, I just think it comes across as sounding a bit archaic and not particularly eloquent. Sort of the ineffective playground insult synonym of debase.

edit: pretty sure it was a vocab word back in 6th grade or sommat

I can safely say 'bastardisation' is not a sweary, nor is 'to bastardise'. Neither is 'He's the bastard-son of a ...', though calling someone a 'Bastard' without the literal context obviously is (though for some reason a lot of American daytime shows have 'bastard' left in them - I think it's therefore less offensive in the US than here in the UK as we edit them out)

The crazy world of word nuances that keep my day interesting !

I can safely say 'bastardisation' is not a sweary, nor is 'to bastardise'. Neither is 'He's the bastard-son of a ...', though calling someone a 'Bastard' without the literal context obviously is (though for some reason a lot of American daytime shows have 'bastard' left in them - I think it's therefore less offensive in the US than here in the UK as we edit them out)

The crazy world of word nuances that keep my day interesting !

my sentiments as well.

Bastardization generally refers to something non-human, so it's not really an insult, or vulgar, at that point. Bastard can be taken either way, depending on the way you use it.

OK:

Modern popular electronic music is really just a bastardization of early 90s IDM experiments.

Not OK:

damn son dat electronic shits a straight up bastardization of real og idm shit, nigga

Guest Frankie5fingers

go ahead and use it man. its still nothing compared to the guy that put a whole chocolate chip cookie recipe in the middle of his paper to get his doctorate. lol

but seriously, you will be fine as long as its not used as an insult.

Archived