IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

^ yeah me too.. i actually think there's more to "vaporwave" than what we think of it as currently... of course it's just a word, like anything, but the community, ideas, collaborations and experiments are what can make it evolve.. not the samples used or types of symbols or japanese letters or vhs sounds. it's still to me, very punk rock, and i think it serves as the punk ethos of the internet age, since there hasnt been a vibrant ballsy punk attitude in music in god knows how long.

I think there's a lot more to come.. and i also think that we should encourage ea other to expand things, evolve, etc. example- mixing vaporwave and idm.. instilling vapor vibes in pop music and so forth. imagine if rock music stayed strictly in the elvis/fats domino vein and never expanded... that would be sad and dumb. i think genre's are meant to be explored, evolved, abused, stretched, exploited and played with. ppl who say vaporwave's dead, imo, were never really into for more than the "underground uber hispter trend".. there are always 1st and 2nd waves and third waves, and evolutions... it's so juvenile to declare something as dead the moment it gets a little more popular.

You just made my day with this comment...

You and this link: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-grinder/watch-the-innernettes-nem-tudo-que-ferve-e%CC%81-vapor-vapor-bubble-gum-word-tutorial-%E3%83%92

Damn, congrats sir! :D ... You just got on Tiny Mix Tapes... see it's not dead! great waiting room/corporate hospitality vibe in that track btw

Whoa, that's awesome fucking hella rad dude, congrats viniciuscabral!

Nice words Lane, I agree wholeheartedly, well said.

i was just listening to that yesterday. the first track is such a killer, but it seems like straight up slowed down and that's it. this album is like half mix half plunder. some of it doesn't really typify vaporwave to me. great tho. I actually listened to this right when it came out. there was that other one, virtual information desk, which is vanished.

i was just listening to that yesterday. the first track is such a killer, but it seems like straight up slowed down and that's it. this album is like half mix half plunder. some of it doesn't really typify vaporwave to me. great tho. I actually listened to this right when it came out. there was that other one, virtual information desk, which is vanished.

that is virtual information desk

Also, for me that release was always the most "vaporwave" release out there. The 80s nostagia whatever thing never appealed to me much.

Also, for me that release was always the most "vaporwave" release out there. The 80s nostagia whatever thing never appealed to me much.

there was another one on bandcamp like mid 2011 or something, maybe early 2012.

i'm pretty sure there was another one at least, with female japanese dialogue, and it wasn't shader.

has anyone listened to this? http://vektroid.bandcamp.com/album/initiation-tape-isle-of-avalon-edition

dude, yes! heard this a little while back... and then just put it on a few days ago. I almost forgot Vektroid's brilliance. She doesn't just pitch stuff down and loop it- she actually creates other worlds. This release (esp the first 1/4) and how she selects the types of song fragments, effects them and mixes them into one another has to be one of the most haunting and eerie mixes/vaporwave releases I've ever heard. This is pure class.

I like the last track so much because it takes a plunder approach and makes it its own new expressive thing. I like how it doesn't over-manipulate the sample: just looping and pitching, but the way the pitched-down tones interact creates a sense of harmonic progression, and I love how the higher-pitched samples get cut off, and how the full sample slowly reveals itself as it goes, climaxes, then outro -- great structure. I also really like the ostinato.

how can you guys tell apart the new original compositions from the cacophony of sampled stuff on this genre?

here's the secret: it's all the latter

how can you guys tell apart the new original compositions from the cacophony of sampled stuff on this genre?

lol, it might have sound like i was taking a piss at the genre but i was not, it was an honest question.

i really love most of the stuff out there, specially those tropical virtual realities vibes associated with technology from the 90's, but i'm having a hard time choosing what to and what not to listen, i mean, this started with who? VHS head? 3 years ago? now every minute or so we have a brand new vaporwavy release from which we don't know nothing or little about...

in any regards, what gmanshowsto, is just a conservative change from vapor to something post vapor. that machinery has been going strong since the Impressionists started breaking Down reality. I cant say i see any radical change coming up before we physically change Our sensory metaphores sometime in the future, before that time comes though, its bound to end in ouroboros synthesis.

kind of makes me sad that im not living in the future in my present. kind of makes me sad that im not psychologically and physcially emotional present in the world, plus a Heavy abberated cognitively.

somebody once told me; metaphor is the only truth. I still believe that.

Something like that.

Just need time to process.

Except for the .5% that's original composition (Eyeliner, Holly Herndon, Ultra's recent tracks, Donovan Hikaru, Blank Banshee, OPN, James Ferraro, etc)

Except for the .5% that's original composition (Eyeliner, Holly Herndon, Ultra's recent tracks, Donovan Hikaru, Blank Banshee, OPN, James Ferraro, etc)

you mean, those artists you named do original stuff? how can you tell?? do you even care? maybe i should stop thinking about it and just enjoy the "music"...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Whoa this so vapor... Im sitting a burger place near this abandoned shopping center right off the freeway at 1030 am and there's no one here as they just opened... I sat down near the back area waiting for my food.. There's a bunch of old arcade games including big buck hunter, some of those pick up teddy bears with a claw machines, and two separate fast and the furious biking /car games. As soon as I sit down (next to giant fake palm trees), "Shake It" by David Bowie (an obscure track from his Lets Dance album that I've never heard played anywhere except my iTunes) starts playing out of some shitty speakers, and mixes with the ambience of the over the top loop of big boy country thunder jam that's coming out of Big Buck Hunter ... To top it off, visions of Neo-Tokyo flash by my eyes at hyperspeed provided by the repeating demo from The Fast and Furious arcade screen. I'm in vapor heaven.

you mean, those artists you named do original stuff? how can you tell?? do you even care? maybe i should stop thinking about it and just enjoy the "music"...
It's kind of a mix of being familiar with the sound and if you're used to creating retro music with software, it's kinda easier to get a feeling of what's original... For example, Blank Banshee and new Ultra stuff are just shinier and original sounding they don't have a pitched down sampling of 80s smooth jazz feel.. It's clearly new production. (I was also chatting w ultra and he told me his new stuff is all him) OPN is renown and on Warp and is admittedly original.. Donovan Hikaru is my own project so I know that's all original haha (: .. Eyeliner is kinda future retro and their sound is more similar to pristine fm vst instruments than plundered samples.. Holly Herndon , like OPN is like more like experimental soundscapes.. And well, James Ferraro of course is known as a prolific composer /producer.

I almost forgot about Vektroid's main alias under Vektroid... I'm pretty sure that's all original. I'm not sure about any of her other aliases, but I think it's kinda known that most of them are sample based... Anyone know the breakdown?

Edited by Lane Visitor

Most of the original work isn't really "vaporwave" though. More just chillwave, or witch-housey rap that I don't know what to call (Ferraro and the like), or future bass, or just beat stuff that has computery samples (Blank Banshee).